Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A New Mac Clone. PearC

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,279 Times in 652 Posts

Default A New Mac Clone. PearC

Enter the PearC. Nice name. Apples are to Macs as Pears are to PearCs or something like that. Apple can thank Psystar proving that people are interested in buying hackint0sh computers for this emerging Apple clone market. First the OpeniMac out of Argentina and now the PearC out of Germany. Apple still hasn't managed to take Psystar out legally and more companies doing the exact same thing are popping up everywhere.

Antitrust and license agreement laws aren't handled the same over in Europe as they are here in America so there is a chance that there is nothing that Apple will be able to do about these clone sales -- of course at some point they may try.

Starting at €500 the PearC is highly customizable with whatever options you want. Their top-of-the-line desktop starts at €1499 and even has the option for a blazing Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition (for an extra €719.99 or course).

PearC also doesn't seem to think there are any legal problems with what they are up to. In their FAQ:

7. Is it legal that to install Mac OS X on a PC?
    We would not offer our PearCs, if we the opinion were not that it is legal.

[PearC via sevenmac]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm... you think they could have translated to English a bit better? It gives a company a cheesey knockoff feel to me... though I know they are knockoffs still, LOL

I said it before and I will say it again... if Apple really is making such great products, they have nothing to lose from these companies... their signs of fear are only more signs of proof to me that they KNOW they are overpricing their products. yeah, they look better, but sales like this shows that some people are willing to sacrifice looks for more performance at a cheaper price.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm from Germany so I can tell you something about it.

It is indeed legal cause the thing Apple does, saying that it's not allowed to install OS on a PC which does not come from Apple is against EU and also german laws.

That's why it's legal here. This is also the reason why this company will not sell the PCs in the US, only in EU Countries like Belgium, France, etc. because they have also the same laws -> Apple rules are illegal here

Still, I won't buy this PC, I have my MAC...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chandler86 For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (02-05-2009), dale1v (02-05-2009), reanimationxp (02-06-2009)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Hmmm... you think they could have translated to English a bit better? It gives a company a cheesey knockoff feel to me... though I know they are knockoffs still, LOL

I said it before and I will say it again... if Apple really is making such great products, they have nothing to lose from these companies... their signs of fear are only more signs of proof to me that they KNOW they are overpricing their products. yeah, they look better, but sales like this shows that some people are willing to sacrifice looks for more performance at a cheaper price.
    it's in german. that was yahoo translate

Default hahahah
    yessss! finaly the "mighty" apple is down! no more 10000$ for a low end mac! hahahaha im so happy for this! now you can buy components at its real price not apples! hahaah wooo hooo! viva la pearc!

btw chandler86 "i have my mac" ... well this is your mac! apple does NOT PRODUCE they ASSEMBLE! see the difference?
    kingmax ram is kingmax ram is it in a pc or a mac its the same thing! nvidia 9600m is nvidia 9600m! is it in a mac or a notebook pc! seagate HDD is seagate HDD! get my point?
    the only differece is you paid round 200% more money for the same thing! www.newegg.com now go check all your components and see how much money you wasted!
    Here is the little something for people who do not understand hardware just look at the numbers thats all you need to know

Last edited by sale666; 02-05-2009 at 05:40 AM.
    No Spam - ajl917

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sale666 For This Useful Post:

ultimatexpka (02-06-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know that... what I meant was more like... I already have a MAC, so I dont need one more. But I need a netbook for travelling soon, and Apple has no netbook... So right now it seems that its going to be a MSI wind OS X edition

oo ok ... i installed iAtkos 4a on my pc now and its all working on except the LAN driver GRRRR! dam it! love the os X
    No Spam - ajl917

i just got a new mac last week, so its a little late. :-(

it's interesting and all... but i'll stick with the official apple products.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Yeah there's a reason to buy apple hardware, technical support and repair. If I had a genuine apple notebook, I could walk into the local apple store and have any question answered for me and get the machine serviced if needed. If I buy it from someone else, I'm on my own.

I'm sure there's lots of people out there who know all they need to about macs and don't need that, but I do and I believe the average consumer does too. Until I get the money, I'm pretty happy with my hackintosh tablet though

When asked what he would say to the columbine killers, Marilyn Manson said, "I would say nothing to them. I would listen to what they have to say, because that's what nobody else did" from the movie Farenheit 9/11

Thanks

I used to have a Starmax PC. Apple put the kybosh on all clones soon as Steve came back.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

couldn't have said it any better

Apple really should pull out of hardware all together and focus on software (for computers at least). Honestly, with the PPC, apple 'might' have had a few advantages for certain users... but now that they're using PC components, it makes zero sense to keep that old business model.

oh well, either they'll go that route eventually, or they'll turn back into that company from the late 80's-early 90's (once the fad goes away)

Thanks

Unlike Microsoft whose license swindling got them the primary market share, Apple relies on its computer hardware Sales. They can't afford to go software only.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-05-2009)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Unlike Microsoft whose license swindling got them the primary market share, Apple relies on its computer hardware Sales. They can't afford to go software only.
    concur

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    it's in german. that was yahoo translate
    Ah ok... that's fair then. I thought you got it directly from the site, LOL

They could, if they changed things around... but they choose not to. Apple's salespitch is still mostly "Apple is trendy. You want to be trendy? Buy an Apple (product)." Are their products great? Yes. Do I still own them? Yes. But saying they can;t go software only is BS. I would rather have my system loaded with a bunch of BS trial software and get like 500 bucks off. Really, how easy is it to either delete all the garbage or better yet pop in the OS disk and reinstall the whole thing. We are paying for a convenience package (the whole commercial where you plug in one cable and you are done). Really, I doubt most people are THAT ignorant that they need that. My mom just started LITERALLY using computers this past year (she uses a PC because it was cheaper) and she already knows how to do plenty. If a sixty-five year old can pick up a computer for the first time and learn how to use it (she literally didn't even like to use the ATM before since it was a machine), then I don't think we really require the overlysimplified approach of plug and play that Apple is providing us. I am sure there are a group of people that would prefer to pay the extra, and that is fine. Why not subsidise just like they do with the iPhone and make two versions. Hell, that would probably get people to jump with the PC market. As for other companies such as Asus, MSI, etc. They rely on hardware sales a great deal, yet their hardware isn;t anywhere near the price of Apple's Does Apple use the nicest quality and look for materials? No doubt. But again, they CHOOSE to put themselves in that hole, and they CHOOSE not to get themselves out.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-05-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-06-2009), staterunner180 (02-05-2009)

See, there you go. Finally someone said something smart.

They need to markup the hardware which you can get cheaper to make up for what they don't get selling OS X.

Ah ok... that's fair then. I thought you got it directly from the site, LOL

They could, if they changed things around... but they choose not to. Apple's salespitch is still mostly "Apple is trendy. You want to be trendy? Buy an Apple (product)." Are their products great? Yes. Do I still own them? Yes. But saying they can;t go software only is BS. I would rather have my system loaded with a bunch of BS trial software and get like 500 bucks off. Really, how easy is it to either delete all the garbage or better yet pop in the OS disk and reinstall the whole thing. We are paying for a convenience package (the whole commercial where you plug in one cable and you are done). Really, I doubt most people are THAT ignorant that they need that. My mom just started LITERALLY using computers this past year (she uses a PC because it was cheaper) and she already knows how to do plenty. If a sixty-five year old can pick up a computer for the first time and learn how to use it (she literally didn't even like to use the ATM before since it was a machine), then I don't think we really require the overlysimplified approach of plug and play that Apple is providing us. I am sure there are a group of people that would prefer to pay the extra, and that is fine. Why not subsidise just like they do with the iPhone and make two versions. Hell, that would probably get people to jump with the PC market. As for other companies such as Asus, MSI, etc. They rely on hardware sales a great deal, yet their hardware isn;t anywhere near the price of Apple's Does Apple use the nicest quality and look for materials? No doubt. But again, they CHOOSE to put themselves in that hole, and they CHOOSE not to get themselves out.
    Mac's are good "as long as you don't mess with them." They could last you Years. They work because they were made to just work with the hardware that they got.

Windows is not a Hardware manufacturer and I believe if they made their software to work with just a specifically hardware they could and "maybe" be better. That's were M$ has the problem and where it is good at, it can work with many, many, many different hardware parts.

Macs are good as long as you don't mess with them.
    Last edited by Teoyaomqui; 02-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.

I hope they have some good lawyers

I hope another company dosen't makes a ripoff of this called "CherryS"! lol. I think it's good how companies are offering Mac os computers for half the price of Apple ones. Let's be honest, Apple hardware is overpriced. Yes it's sleek and looks nice, but i'd rather have something that just works. Function over form and price. Also, now apple has too offer more too consumers other than the fact that it's a computer from apple.

Thanks

Macs are overpriced, plain and simple. They are still severely limited when it comes to compatibility with the masses. I am not saying that is right, wrong or otherwise. Its just the plain truth that its a Windows world we all live in.
    Yes, Mac sales have increased a lot in the last few years. Is that due to the Mac itself? Not really. Its due to Apple's huge success with the iPod and the iPhone. It brought Apple into the limelight and people started jumping to Macs. After the "newness" wears off, many jump back to a PC because it can do more in the real world.

I think its great that people can get a Mac-ish machine for a decent price. As soon as Apple figures that one out themselves, they might sell more real ones.
    Apples taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by sale666 View Post
    apple does NOT PRODUCE they ASSEMBLE! see the difference?
    kingmax ram is kingmax ram is it in a pc or a mac its the same thing! nvidia 9600m is nvidia 9600m! is it in a mac or a notebook pc! seagate HDD is seagate HDD! get my point?
    the only differece is you paid round 200% more money for the same thing! Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! now go check all your components and see how much money you wasted!
    Yes, technically Apple does "assemble" their parts with readily available and cheaper components. BUT it's not as huge of a difference as you made it seem.

You picked to compare the RAM. Apple specifically prices RAM at a higher rate because of their implied warranty. Often times RAM is the first thing to go in a computer (besides HD) which can also damage components of the logic-board it is connected to. Logicboards are VERY expensive to replace, upwards of $500 depending on the machine.

Now, let's say you buy the newegg RAM and save $400. What happens when it frys your logic-board? You take it to an apple store, shell out $500 more for the repair (plus labor). Then you stick in a new set of ram you purchased, (or buy apple ram) and go on your way.

You can see how taking the quick and "cheap" way can end up being very expensive in the long haul. We're talking a full three years of Applecare protection.

Check the prices of the HD upgrades, you'll find them to be MUCH closer for obvious repair reasons. Peace of mind IS worth quite a bit. Especially for those of us who are professionals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast