+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A New Mac Clone. PearC

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
^^^Many more "professionals" rely on PC's built with off-the-shelf components than Macs. And I think peace of mind is worth quite a bit to EVERYONE. That said, my PC (built
    Thanks

^^^Many more "professionals" rely on PC's built with off-the-shelf components than Macs.

And I think peace of mind is worth quite a bit to EVERYONE. That said, my PC (built by me with parts bought from newegg) has had a failure rate of ZERO in the last two years.
    Last edited by Kruejl; 02-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Apples taste good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

I wonder how long it will take for one1 to get this machine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-06-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    ^^^Many more "professionals" rely on PC's built with off-the-shelf components than Macs.

And I think peace of mind is worth quite a bit to EVERYONE. That said, my PC (built by me with parts bought from newegg) has had a failure rate of ZERO in the last two years.
    Oh no doubt. I am not discrediting PC users whatsoever. I have a PC I built from newegg as well. I know it may seem negative from the post.

I'm merely pointing out that there is a reason for the "high cost" of seemingly similar Mac components. Its not all black and white. Usually I would also make a comment about adding cost to fix XP/vista/Windows... but I guess PearC circumvented that one

Green Apple
    Thanks

hmmm i understand but in my experience iv never had that kinda thing happen to me! iv been assembling computer parts for years!
    And i can tell you mac components are the sam one you can buy of s shelf in a retail store!
    they don't have any secret unseen components!

And the way it goes i assemble it if something fry's iv got warranty! it was set up correctly so i will be replaced with a new component! it did happen once actually my PSU burnt because of some static discharge when i was upgrading my motherboard i just went to the vendors shop (HGSPOT in Croatia) and said it burnt given them the warranty paper and voila iv got my self my money back! and i bought a new PSU...
    I understand mac has warranty but if you look a bit closer to the picture i posted you will see that in the text it stands LIFETIME warranty... matched by Apple? Don't think so... its like buying a Ferrari from some one for 100.000$ when a new one costs 60.000$... kinda stupid don't you think?
    No Spam - ajl917

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teoyaomqui View Post

Mac's are good "as long as you don't mess with them." They could last you Years. They work because they were made to just work with the hardware that they got.

Windows is not a Hardware manufacturer and I believe if they made their software to work with just a specifically hardware they could and "maybe" be better. That's were M$ has the problem and where it is good at, it can work with many, many, many different hardware parts.

Macs are good as long as you don't mess with them.
    I have had plenty of systems (windows based) that were fine for years after they were bought/built. The hardware in a Mac nowadays is damn near identical to that of a PC anyway. The only difference at this point is the extra prettiness factor and using materials like aluminum and glass.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

dale1v (02-06-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The problem with apple is there greedy bastards i had to pay £353 for a iphone 3g to find out that the bloody software on it phone wise is utter **** they made a mp3 ( Well a there own format more money ) play and just shoved any oldest phone software on it and called it a phone now i owned a ipod touch that cost me £200 then a couple of weeks later they bring out an bloody other one and charge you more for it as it has a ****** speaker and its rounded.

they do the same with there macs and macbooks you cant upgrade macs or macbooks like you can a laptop or pc this is where apple prey on there customers they release a good product then a couple of months later bring one out better so basically you have just bought a redundant product due to the fact apple spit out these things like babes teeth.

PC = Very easy to upgrade also Games
    mac = Not very easy to upgrade play some games

Apple are greedy that's it the charge us here in the UK £20 for there headphones and there **** its just greed and the more people buy there stuff at there set prices there going to milk it as much as they can its like you selling 50 sweets at 10p each they only cost you 1p but people are buying them so your not going to say well it only cost me 1p you can have it for 3p its greed like others said Ipod and Iphone are the reason Macs are doing good the now when i first wanted a computer for college i never wanted a mac as every where had PCs so it was simple and i have never looked back i can play games like crysis HL2 + Mods high end games and if i want to play a new game that need better performance i spend about £400 one a new CPU and graphics card not an entire PC.

this is my thoughts as i was ripped off with my iphone done get me wrong its good for calling but that's it i had to buy software 3rd party to be abile to text people properly.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

isn't there a performance difference with these 'clones'.
    i thought that the apple OS was matched to the internal components to maximize the experience... no?
    that said, i don't think Macs are all that overpriced. compare the HP Touch to am imac and they are about the same. not to mention the HP Touches are junk imho. (i had one and sent it back)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    The problem with apple is there greedy bastards i had to pay £353 for a iphone 3g to find out that the bloody software on it phone wise is utter **** they made a mp3 ( Well a there own format more money ) play and just shoved any oldest phone software on it and called it a phone now i owned a ipod touch that cost me £200 then a couple of weeks later they bring out an bloody other one and charge you more for it as it has a ****** speaker and its rounded.

they do the same with there macs and macbooks you cant upgrade macs or macbooks like you can a laptop or pc this is where apple prey on there customers they release a good product then a couple of months later bring one out better so basically you have just bought a redundant product due to the fact apple spit out these things like babes teeth.

PC = Very easy to upgrade also Games
    mac = Not very easy to upgrade play some games

Apple are greedy that's it the charge us here in the UK £20 for there headphones and there **** its just greed and the more people buy there stuff at there set prices there going to milk it as much as they can its like you selling 50 sweets at 10p each they only cost you 1p but people are buying them so your not going to say well it only cost me 1p you can have it for 3p its greed like others said Ipod and Iphone are the reason Macs are doing good the now when i first wanted a computer for college i never wanted a mac as every where had PCs so it was simple and i have never looked back i can play games like crysis HL2 + Mods high end games and if i want to play a new game that need better performance i spend about £400 one a new CPU and graphics card not an entire PC.

this is my thoughts as i was ripped off with my iphone done get me wrong its good for calling but that's it i had to buy software 3rd party to be abile to text people properly.
    lol you bought the PAYG iPhone 3G....seriously?!
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Think of Apple like Abercrombie......does the $5 shirt from Wal-Mart cover your bare skin? Yes, so does the $50 Abercrombie shirt. Does the Abercrombie shirt do anything different than the $5 shirt? Why do people go buy the $150 pair of Jeans from Abercrombie rather than the $15 Wal-Mart jeans? They look better, plain and simple, they are trendy. You can take the $15 Wal-Mart jeans and rip them, distress them and bleach them and you have almost the same thing (IE: OSx86), but you still don't have that Apple tag or that Abercrombie tag.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tylervalo View Post
    Think of Apple like Abercrombie......does the $5 shirt from Wal-Mart cover your bare skin? Yes, so does the $50 Abercrombie shirt. Does the Abercrombie shirt do anything different than the $5 shirt? Why do people go buy the $150 pair of Jeans from Abercrombie rather than the $15 Wal-Mart jeans? They look better, plain and simple, they are trendy. You can take the $15 Wal-Mart jeans and rip them, distress them and bleach them and you have almost the same thing (IE: OSx86), but you still don't have that Apple tag or that Abercrombie tag.

Excelent point! you pay the APPLE LOGO! nothing else the hardware is IDENTICAL of the PC's because MAC is a PC! it just has a different operating system end of story! if your willing to pay a hell load of money for something to look good but have less performace you must be rich or stupid no other explanation... i can buy a notebook an alienware one wich are the mosted priced notebooks and id never consider buying them! and it would over pass ANY mac with a hell lot of less price!
    i just dont think its smart wasteing money on a logo... well its your choice!
    No Spam - ajl917

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i think the apple haters that are posting must not own a mac.
    i have several PC's and 1 mac. here is the bottom line;
    i have to fix the PC constantly and i get to use the mac. the pc's need rebooted all the time, need antivirus software, need 3rd party drivers to make stuff work, become extremely unstable over time and get updates once a month because of security issues. meanwhile, my mac sits quietly on my desk just waiting for me to use it. always ready, never broken.

Thanks

I have to agree woth typervalo. I am a label whote and i will admit it. I likes atuff becuase it says a certain brand. The shirts or jeans could look identical from armani as the walmart ones. Feel the same and everything. But for me i dont care. I will still buy the expenaive ones because of the label. And im aure there are plenty of people just like me but are embarassed to admit it or they dont give want to say anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    Oh, no no no...what are they doing on MMi if they HATE Apple? Don't be so quick to draw the hater card...They're stating their opinions, and facts (in selected posts)
    i have to fix the PC constantly and i get to use the mac. the pc's need rebooted all the time, need antivirus software
    You don't need anything for your PC (or any appliance for that matter) other than electricity and a desk to put it on. That is the bottom line. You reboot after installing certain updates. Just like OS X.

need 3rd party drivers to make stuff work
    ALL of which already come with the third party hardware that was built and sold for PCs. You don't have to install any drivers on a mac because...Oh! Macs have no support for third party hardware(peripherals, etc) in the first place.
    become extremely unstable over time
    A heavy exaggeration. Occasional maintenance, common sense and being careful with what you download, not much else needed. If you go in with the mindest that PCs are always useless etc, I can bet that you'll stop caring for it, and then it will get worse. Which will further your already negative attitude towards it, and thus the spiral continues. A negative attitude returns a negative result.

and get updates once a month because of security issues
    Is once a month really that much of a bother for you? Really?
    meanwhile, my mac sits quietly on my desk just waiting for me to use it. always ready, never broken.
    MacFixIt Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
    ur what?
    Last edited by dale1v; 02-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

Bad2049 (02-06-2009), dr.stevil (02-12-2009), Teoyaomqui (02-06-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Oh, no no no...what are they doing on MMi if they HATE Apple? Don't be so quick to draw the hater card...They're stating their opinions, and facts (in selected posts)
    You don't need anything for your PC (or any appliance for that matter) other than electricity and a desk to put it on. That is the bottom line. You reboot after installing certain updates. Just like OS X.

ALL of which already come with the third party hardware that was built and sold for PCs. You don't have to install any drivers on a mac because...Oh! Macs have no support for third party hardware(peripherals, etc) in the first place.
    A heavy exaggeration. Occasional maintenance, common sense and being careful with what you download, not much else needed. If you go in with the mindest that PCs are always useless etc, I can bet that you'll stop caring for it, and then it will get worse. Which will further your already negative attitude towards it, and thus the spiral continues. A negative attitude returns a negative result.

Is once a month really that much of a bother for you? Really?
    MacFixIt Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
    ur what?
    Thank you for summing things up for us. The problem is that alot of people seem to think that if we are not an obsessed fanboy, then we are a hater. I love my Mac and can't seem to state that enough. I am also able to admit that 50% of the sale went to Apple simply because the laptop is pretty. End of discussion. That being said, you are completely right. I don;t have to do any more "maintenance" on my PC than my Mac. Mac has security updates to OSX.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i have to fix the PC constantly and i get to use the mac. the pc's need rebooted all the time, need antivirus software, need 3rd party drivers to make stuff work, become extremely unstable over time and get updates once a month because of security issues. meanwhile, my mac sits quietly on my desk just waiting for me to use it. always ready, never broken.
    wow am a hater because I don't worship the great bitten apple.

dale1v Sums pretty much everything we "apple haters" are trying to point out to most "apple Fan Boys".

I have build all my WinPC(exempt for my first ever sony viao at the end of the 1990's) Never had a problem.

I bought a MacPro2007 and loved it, but after I got bootcamp and install Vista-64 I have not turn back to Leopard except for what they are good for, sound recording and video and am to the point to even booting to OS X. Don't hate it but I have more control with Windows.

lol "meanwhile, my mac sits quietly on my desk just waiting for me to use it. always ready, never broken. " So you don't use it since you have two WinPC.

I guess you only turn it on, check your e-mail, check the internet and thats it. your iphone those the same thing. get rid of your mac. hehe hehe

Green Apple
    Thanks

you have 3 pcs and only mac works... well ok ill tell you what...
    take a screwdriver open your mac take the parts out and go to a shop and ask what that is and if you can buy the same confing separatly in a different caseing and they will get you the ram,motherboard,hdd,processor,and all other stuff thats in and assemble it but will charge you 60% less and now you can install os x on it normaly because its the same mac! i cant get it why can you understand that! ok here is a quick example... go on apple and see the MAC PRO and you will see you can chose INTEL XEON 3.0 ghz wolfdale.. now go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and find the same one and voila! IS THAT AN APPLE PRODUCT???? it IS NOT! understand?...
    so how can a XEON 3.0 WOLFDALE BE BETTER THAN AN XEON 3.0 WOLFDALE? its like compareing you to yourself! ???? where is the logic?.... now the thing is about the OPERATING SYSTEM that makes the difference in using applications and type of codeing dos/unix/bsd ect. we are not arguing here mac that mac sux! only thing is they are bloody to expensive and you are buying the same components that you can buy in any shop for a less price! and you cannot say that they are worse quality than the ones in a mac! example the mac pro comes with an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 so that NVIDIA is better than this one ---> Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 512-P3-N801-RX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Sorry but its just a case nothing else your "hackintosh" that you call it is actualy a normal mac thats all... apple just didnt devolp drivers for every component! dont you think that NVIDA 280 GTX is faster than 8800 GT? why dont they use the 280 GTX instead? it has a higher clock in memory and GPU has more stream processors (240)... they did not devolp drivers ....

But we are not talking here about 100$ we are talking here about 1000$+ and speed comparison!
    a 2000$ mac compares to a 400$ pc! intel e8200 , 2 gigs ram, 250gb hdd ect... (only an example)
    and for 2000$ you can buil your self intel Q8200, 4GB DDR 3, 2x nvidia 280 GTX , 1TB hdd ect!

well your decision i love OS X as an operating system tho i turn to windows when it comes to games and productivity...
    i like macs they do look great but i am not willing to pay a huge ammount of money to get a low end PC/MAC!
    Last edited by sale666; 02-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    No Spam - ajl917

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sale666 For This Useful Post:

Teoyaomqui (02-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    lol you bought the PAYG iPhone 3G....seriously?!
    Yeah as i already have a contract phone LG Viewty and wanted a iPhone though i was disappointed lol when i got it as i have to shell out more bloody money to actually do anything good on it ( Texting, call logging, mms, Snapture and 3G video recorder ( last one i wanted ) also i just yellowsn0wed it to use my contract sim..
    Last edited by rocky5; 02-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    it's interesting and all... but i'll stick with the official apple products.
    Yep. I built my own "macpro" clone a year ago with a Q6600 for around $700. Worked fine with 10.5.x (after spending weeks to get all the hardware working correctly). Also have to be careful that I manually apply the OS updates and that I don't overwrite the wrong kexts. Never could get the motherboard to wake from sleep correctly... If I leave it on it jacks up my electricity bill. I digress...

I managed to get Vista x64 installed on top of EFI and the GUID partition scheme. Now I just use it for playing games in Vista. I've got my shiny new mac book pro for my "normal" activities.

Last week I brought my almost 3 yr old white macbook into the Apple Store to get it serviced (back light was flakey) got it back in 3 days with most of the hardware replaced for free. That is why I will keep buying macs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I built a "Hackintosh" too about a year ago. Everything was great after a bit of experimenting/hacking. Except sleep with my 2600 video card. Anyhow, decided to bite the bullet and get a real Mac. Had a white macbook anyhow. Bought the top of the line, 3.2 Ghz Mac Pro. I have 8 cores, 10gb ram etc. None of the clones that I have found can run the 8 cores and photoshop is a dream with 8 cores. My Mac sits there almost silent, just doing what I ask it. IF you don't need the best, get a clone, if you do, well......

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Linux
    Both Apple and Microsoft are very big on marketing against each other and BOTH of them are over priced. Very over priced.
    About 6-8 months back I started switching over completely to Linux. It's definitely not for every user at first but if you have knowledge on computers, it's the only way to go. I'm a programmer "In the Making," so to speak, and I will never go back to using Windoze EVER again. lol, I used to use Windows but I never realized how much it completely sucks. I guarantee I'm getting more out of my hardware than any Vista or 7 user. Windows is very flawed, very power hungry, and inefficient. 4 gigs of RAM is just eaten up by Vista. In Fedora 10 I can have hundreds of Firefox tabs open, photo edit, have tons of text editors open, dozens of terminals, and have no problems with the computer running slow at all! My point is they charge so much for their ****** software and Linux is free and much better. I will always use Unix and Linux now, never touch windows anymore. Open source just has all the potential and is the only way for me. Every program is free, every program you can use in Windows or Mac is available and almost always more powerful and more feature-loaded than a program you guys will pay for! Video editing in Linux all open source is more powerful than any option you guys can get. Major movie producers have been using open source programs nowadays for the power and freedom to do what they want with more tools. If you haven't tried it atleast, I would suggest you try out the Fedora distro with a KDE desktop and you can easily see it's advantages over OS's that cost major $. The only difference though is you must build your own packages they don't come in little packages like when you download a program or app in windows that will have an installer, you must unzip and compile in Linux. Try a live CD though.