+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ZumoDrive Beta Review

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
I'm all about cloud storage. As a laptop-only user there is a limited amount of space I can carry with me so I use services like Dropbox and SugarSync continuously
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default ZumoDrive Beta Review

I'm all about cloud storage. As a laptop-only user there is a limited amount of space I can carry with me so I use services like Dropbox and SugarSync continuously to store my gigabytes of files. A new service called ZumoDrive has entered the market with their beta and of course I've spent some time to trying it out.

You can enter the beta for ZumoDrive by using the invite code modmyi or by simply clicking here. The beta gives 1 GB of storage free to test the service out.

The Good

ZumoDrive does things a little bit differently than its competitors. It tricks your computers into thinking the files are local allowing you to do some really neat things like using ZumoDrive to store your iTunes library out on the internet somewhere instead of locally on your computers -- great for us netbook users. I tested out this feature and was impressed with how quick and easy it was to get one of my laptops set up using ZumoDrive as the location of the library (once the entire library was uploaded -- 2 days) complete with the ability to add and remove music from the library through iTunes. It really does work just like local storage freeing up 60 GB of my hard drive space that previously was allocated for music (with a catch -- more details later).

Something else ZumoDrive offers is caching which basically allows you to store copies of files locally so you can access them when you don't have internet access. You can choose what types of files Zumodrive will cache: Music, Pictures, Documents, or other depending on what is most important when you're offline. In my case documents are cached locally while everything else is stored on the cloud.

If you're into photos and you like sharing them with your friends and family or posting them online or whatever ZumoDrive handles them in a totally awesome manner with their built in online photo gallery. Just link to the folder of photos you want to show and the rest is done automatically. Check out some ModMyi.com macworld pics here. Even better how about I simply use ZumoDrive's feature to embed the gallery right here?

<iframe src="http://www.zumodrive.com/photo/embed/kzZjM0MG" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Bad

It's a beta so I do expect some immediate issues that need to be sorted before ZumoDrive goes out of beta (covered later) but there is one primary issue that is going to turn many people off of ZumoDrive. The pricing. While ZumoDrive does things significantly better than the competition many people are never going to give it a chance since it costs roughly two times more than SugarSync or Dropbox. When we questioned CEO David Zhao about pricing he said, "... regarding pricing, we heard our users pretty clearly. We are evaluating it now and will have a decision on it soon."

The Average

ZumoDrive has some features that one already expects from cloud storage including the ability to share folders, browse and download files via a web interface, recover older versions of files, and a few more. All these features are more or less self explanatory and are no better or worse than other cloud storage options. Also remember this is cloud storage. Like all cloud storage getting files on the cloud invloves uploading them. If you do not have a fast internet connection storing gigabytes of data online will be painful for you. Keep it in mind.

What's to Come / Beta Warning

I've been extremely forgiving about one major thing that the current beta is lacking because I understand the implications of the word "beta" and the folks at ZumoDrive have already committed to sorting the issue. Keeping that in mind where is the **** is AAC support? Yes ZumoDrive does not support AAC files yet. In the real world that means two thirds of my iTunes library is not playable when it resides on ZumoDrive (.mp4 files). This is something that should* have been supported before they went live. An awesome iTunes storage solution launched without support of Apple's favorite media file type is just ridiculous.

On a more positive note ZumoDrive does have some really cool things on the way like "Folder Watching" that will watch for changes made to folders on your hard drive and mirror the changes on ZumoDrive, "Predictive caching" that will improve their caching system with the ability to guess what files you'll want, an iPhone Application (first look here), and an Andriod application for the google phone users.

The Verdict

I like the premise of ZumoDrive. The ability to easily use ZumoDrive for the iTunes music directory is simply excellent. Making cloud storage appear local on a machine is a brilliant idea and if ZumoDrive's competitors aren't already looking into similar functionality they should be.

"ZumoDrive is what other cloud storage solutions are trying to be" is what I hope to be able to say in the near future dependent on how quickly the folks at ZumoDrive add in more filetype support (AAC FILES!) and whether or not the high prices for service are addressed. As mentioned earlier you can try ZumoDrive beta using the code modmyi on their site. Also the staff at ZumoDrive seem to be very responsive to suggestions and comments and problems with the beta on their forums so don't be afraid to tell them what you think.

edit: ZumoDrive David says that .mp4 support should be out "within a week or so."
    I'm excited.

oh and a nice quote from poetic_folly
    "They didn't give you a free unlimited account?!?! You pay for it? Those ********!"
    yes. I pay for it. I like ZumoDrive (except for the price).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

elr0y7 (01-25-2009)

Thanks

invite code isn't valid for me.
    signing up for myself then..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koompi View Post
    invite code isn't valid for me.
    signing up for myself then..
    Fixed now -- sorry about that.

Thanks

DAMN! Not available in India!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, personally I'm impressed so far. The ease of use and setup is unbelievable, everything just works, and the file interfaces (local and remote) are very clean and streamlined allowing hyperlinking to any folder you've created, embedding (as shown in the op), and access privileges for other user (though this doesn't seem to be fully operable yet). Just wish I could get more space, but hey, it's free.
    Also another feature I'd like to see is the ability do upload a file into your drive from the website for when you are away from your computer.
    Last edited by elr0y7; 01-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can you guys tell me what is the cost associated with this? Also is this a month to month charge?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.michell View Post
    Can you guys tell me what is the cost associated with this? Also is this a month to month charge?
    https://www.zumodrive.com/pricing

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Price-point and beta status aside, are there particular strengths of Dropbox and/or Sugarsync that would keep you using both or one of those services? How do they differ?

Barak
    Dropbox is the most basic and least feature rich of the three. It is limited to storing things online and sharing folders with other users, linking to photos online etc. It also uses space on your hard drive which doesn't allow you to store things on the cloud only.

SugarSync takes cloud storage up a notch from DropBox adding a) an iPhone app that allows you to acess files / listen to music that you have stored on the cloud via your iPhone b) the ability to have folders mirrored on the cloud -- you make a change on a folder on your computer and the same change is made on the cloud -- easy backup. SugarSync is a very good service and my major issue with it to this point is I don't really UI of their interfaces.

ZumoDrive does something which the others do not do tricking the computer into thinking ZumoDrive is local. This allows you to store your iTunes library online instead of on your hard drive which is HUGE imho. The beta currently lacks the feature I like best from SugarSync which is the folder mirroring -- luckily the ZumoDrive folks are planning on adding that feature in at some point. ZumoDrive also has an iPhone app like SugarSync that does virtually the same thing.

I am and will be using all three for the forseeable future for one simple reason -- none of them offer enough GB of space for me. I currently have approx 400 GB of files residing on cloud storage and the largest amount of storage I can get from any one of the three above is 250 GB.

If I considered price/beta non-issues then ZumoDrive is my first choice. Hands down.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    are they out of there minds with the pricing? On top of that this isnt unlimited space. I rather stick to ftp sever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

for those not available for beta ..
    use a webproxy ..
    to be clear Hide My ***! Free Proxy and Privacy Tools - Surf The Web Anonymously and then youll be able to download and use the 1 gb free plan.
    till they fix this ..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.michell View Post
    are they out of there minds with the pricing? On top of that this isnt unlimited space. I rather stick to ftp sever.
    I think they'll have to rethink their pricing in the coming months.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

this is incredibly tempting since i NEED to get my media files off of my laptop. however, why would i want to go with something like this with monthly payments when i can purchase a Pogoplug and an external hard drive then be done with it? What are the benefits other than it not being stored in my home?
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Microsoft SkyDrive is also free - with 5Gb but you can link accounts so you can have as much space as you want.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone OneRing2Rule's Avatar
    Thanks

And the code "modmyi" is no longer working. Try "gottabemobile". Google rocks.

Oh, and I'll be trying SkyDrive, too.

OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Until it goes *POOF!*
    A service like this is great where you're not actually storing any of your docs, pics, or music on your computer at all and its all on the cloud.... Until the company later goes *poof* because of the economy and the CEO is MIA and your files along with him. It's happened to other companies in the past. Beta products that are overpriced make me think they really need the money and if things dont work out they're going to quietly fold leaving you with a 'this site is unavailable' message.

I'd only use this if it had the option to also sync the files I have locally. I'd still use the cloud/local trick but also want them sync'ed locally.

A service like this is great where you're not actually storing any of your docs, pics, or music on your computer at all and its all on the cloud.... Until the company later goes *poof* because of the economy and the CEO is MIA and your files along with him. It's happened to other companies in the past. Beta products that are overpriced make me think they really need the money and if things dont work out they're going to quietly fold leaving you with a 'this site is unavailable' message.

I'd only use this if it had the option to also sync the files I have locally. I'd still use the cloud/local trick but also want them sync'ed locally.
    Last edited by brianturney; 01-28-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

The modmyi beta code and the gottabemobile code are used up. I also found ireadtc and ireadtc2, but those are used up too. Anybody have one they'd like to share?