+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Look at Apple's Best Quarter Ever

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Summing up Apple's Q1 conference call. iPhone The iPhone pretty much destroyed the year goal of 10 million units with 13.7 million iPhones sold thanks to 4.3 million being sold
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default A Look at Apple's Best Quarter Ever

Summing up Apple's Q1 conference call.

iPhone

The iPhone pretty much destroyed the year goal of 10 million units with 13.7 million iPhones sold thanks to 4.3 million being sold during the quarter. Furthermore, the AppStore did extremely well reaching 15,000 apps and 500,000,000 downloads (which Apple kept 30% of the profit from and declined to announce how much that profit was). The iPhone is now in 70 markets and Apple is continuing to expand their mobile phone influence to other areas. Apple also now has hold of 32% of the smartphone market -- 48% in the U.S.

Aside from the iPhone doing well there doesn't seem to be any indication of a iPhone Nano coming. When questioned on the subject Apple COO Tim Cook said "We'll let somebody else do that. Our objective is not to be the unit-share leader in the cell phone industry, it's to build the world's best phone." Lets put that endless rumor to rest already. Please.

Mac

Mac sales were up 9% from the same quarter last year with around 2.5 million sold (half to new mac users). This is due to a large jump in notebook sales of 34% which made up the 25% drop in desktop sales. Also down were Mac sales to schools with a 6% drop overall and a 12% drop in K-12. Maybe Apple should have introduced some updates to the iMac and Mac Mini lines at Macworld 09 after all .

While there have been many rumors of the possibility of an Apple netbook in the future Apple COO Tim Cook is still saying that “We’re watching that space, but right now from our point of view, the products in there are principally based on hardware that’s much less powerful than we think customers want, software technology that is not good, cramped keyboards, small displays," and going further to say that “We don’t think people will be pleased with those products. It’s a category we watch, we’ve got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they’re happy with.”

iPod

Apple is still dominating with 73% of the mobile music player market selling 22.7 million in the quarter. For some reason they still are contending that the iPod Touch is an outstanding gaming machine which many of our readers here disagree with but oh well -- think what you want Apple. Fake it long enough and it may come true.

Apple TV

WTH Mate?!?!?! I guess I'm just don't understand the appeal of this thing but apparently some people do. The Apple TV sold THREE TIMES more units than the same quarter a year ago. Apple of course plans on continuing to invest in the Apple TV and furthering the technology.

Apple Stores

Apple Stores performed well even though the economic client hasn't been to great. The grand total was $1.74 billion in revenue which works out to be an average of $7 million per store. All the numbers look good revenue was down per store but that's to be expected.

Apple currently has 251 Apple stores spanning across 10 different countries. They are planning on expanding in 2009 with another 25 stores half of which will be located outside of the U.S.

Steve Jobs

When questioned about how Steve is doing Cook responded by talking about how strong the executive team in charge of Apple's employees is and then going further to say that “... frankly, we don’t settle for anything less than excellence in every group in the company, and the self-honesty to admit where we’re wrong. And I think regardless of who is in what job, those values are so embedded in this company that Apple will do extremely well. I would just reiterate that Apple is doing the best work in its history,” Basically a cop-out from actually touching on anything close to the health of Jobs

Monies

The results of Apple's Best Quarter Ever are in! Apple made a profit of $1.61 billion during the quarter with revenue being $10.7 billion which is the first time in Apple history of breaking the $10 billion mark. Apple now has $28 billion on hand in the bank with no set plans on how to spend that kind of money.

Intellectual Property

Cook also gave out a warning to other companies concerning Apple's intellectual property rights saying that "We are watching the landscape. We like competition as long as they don't rip off our [Intellectual Property], and if they do, we're going to go after anybody that does." While the warning wasn't specifically directed at any company in particular one might infer that they are looking very closely at devices like the Palm Pre.

If you'd like to listen to the q1 conference call concerning you can here.

Thanks

So they basically hold 50% of the "smarphone" market?? (just teasin, cash) But seriously; wow. I remember back in the day when everyone and their grandma didn't have an iPhone. It's true I seem them everwhere now.

Back then I felt special-er
    "The Force shall free me."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    "We'll let somebody else do that. Our objective is not to be the unit-share leader in the cell phone industry, it's to build the world's best phone." Lets put that endless rumor to rest already. Please.
    How cool is that.lol

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I see iPhone 3G's more often than the 2G, that's why by having a 2G I feel special as I had an iPhone before them.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple now has $28 billion on hand in the bank with no set plans on how to spend that kind of money.
    Produce even more gay commercials.

Thanks

Apple has came a far way since about 2 years ago
    My new download/upload

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile Apple Rocks
    who would've thou this was going to happen, Apple changed and is working, they changing whole phone / computer industry, stores look great, products at a good price (exept laptops, i still think they are not as affordable as a PCs).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like Apple but I'm laughing at all the Apple fanboys...it really looks like a cult lmao. Teh values lmao. But good job on the "making the best phone evvvarrr". **** the nano, who would want this ****. Glad theyre not making one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love my iPhone but hate the fanboys

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah same here. I'm obsessed with my iPhone but love Vista and Windows too.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Without fanboys there would be no Apple empire, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting fact!

Thanks

Lol obsessed is the right word, i didn't think I was until my wife asked to borrow my 3g and thoughts of not being able to play games, not listen to music, and not being able to watch Southpark episodes on the fly (South Park Mobile! Watch South Park on your iPhone! for those wondering where) So I said sorry shouldn't have gotten that crappy sidekick!! Mean but I cant stand not having my phone for a day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Monies

The results of Apple's Best Quarter Ever are in! Apple made a profit of $1.61 billion during the quarter with revenue being $10.7 billion which is the first time in Apple history of breaking the $10 billion mark. Apple now has $28 billion on hand in the bank with no set plans on how to spend that kind of money.
    They could pay for Steve's liver transplant. And while they're at it, they could design a new heart for him in the shape of the Apple logo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    They could pay for Steve's liver transplant. And while they're at it, they could design a new heart for him in the shape of the Apple logo!
    HAHAH LMAO. I wish. "Apple reinvents the heart with a multitouch interface and ipod"

No one can jailbreak that. Cuz we would be dead

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple now has $28 billion on hand in the bank with no set plans on how to spend that kind of money.
    And yet they still lay off all of their part time employees?

They make a profit of $7 million off of each apple retail store, and Apple can't even "afford" to keep its part time employees?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post

They make a profit of $7 million off of each apple retail store, and Apple can't even "afford" to keep its part time employees?
    lol. about right. "afford" probably was a nice way of saying "don't want"

and I might add they make $7 million in revenue off each store. not profit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post

Well all the kool kids were doing it! (ie, google and microsoft)