+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: Apple to Adopt NVIDIA Ion Platform

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
This rumor is somewhat controversial, but a PC enthusiast website and supposedly an NVIDIA partner is saying that Apple will refresh the Mac mini in March and will use NVIDIA's
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rumor: Apple to Adopt NVIDIA Ion Platform

This rumor is somewhat controversial, but a PC enthusiast website and supposedly an NVIDIA partner is saying that Apple will refresh the Mac mini in March and will use NVIDIA's Ion platform, which pairs NVIDIA's 9400M system controller and integrated GPU with Intel's low power Atom processor.

The site, Tom's Hardware, says:

"An Nvidia partner confirmed to us that Apple was the first to receive samples of Nvidia's Ion platform, which we covered extensively during CES. In fact, Apple received prototype units long before Nvidia partners who opted to work on Ion. We're told that some partners still only have blue prints of Ion."

The rumor also goes that the release will come about the time of the CeBIT computer expo beginning March 3rd in Hanover, Germany. Tom's Hardware also speculates that the Mac mini will remain the same size it is now and be priced about the same, around $500-$700.

If this rumor comes to fruition than this would be the first time Apple adopts Intel's low-power Atom processor rather than the Core 2 processors found in their notebook computers and the current Mac mini.

This rumor is controversial because it does not seem like Apple's machines are poised to run off this atom processor. Hackers who have gotten OS X working on Atom-powered netbooks say it's really slow. Others speculate that the refreshed Mac mini will be nothing more than a MacBook logic board in a Time Capsule Case!

Source: Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About
    AppleChic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

huntor (01-16-2009)

Thanks
    I don't think this will happen

Banned
    Thanks

applechics been pretty good with the rumors..
    i wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Atom and Mac OS X
    I'm running OS X on an MSI Wind (Atom 1.6ghz) and it certainly is not slow. Not as fast as my MBP of course, but definitely not slow.

Very usable for everything, audio, video, games, etc.

Banned
    Thanks

of course they're not her rumors. thats why its called a fcking rumor. it's passed from one kid to another. but shes the one that posts 'em here, for all of lazy folks who dont like searching google everyday for the freshest apple rumors. and she's obivously pretty decent at sorting out the good from the bad.

btw almost every thread here comes from another website.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm sure the performance would be bad for general purpose use... wordprocessing, excel, photo/video editing. For the same price I would expect a mini with a decent Core2.

Apple should just come out with their own flavor of 'netbook'

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

thread pruned, blather and argue in your pmboxes