Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: See How iTunes Embeds Email in DRM Free Tracks

Default See How iTunes Embeds Email in DRM Free Tracks

So the iTunes store is almost completely DRM free and will be entirely DRM free by spring…great we can now use our DRM free music on any device we want without any stupid hang-ups.

This is all good and dandy as long as everything is legit…which of course it is, right?

iTunes Plus Files now make up the entire music store and every file stores your account info and email. Even though there is no copy protection, the downloads still contain the email you have when you registered with iTunes.

So while you can physically share files with friends, family, etc. it can still all be traced back to you.

If you want to see for yourself how iTunes is keeping tabs on you, CNet says it's easy:

"If you're interested in an easy way to check your own files, find an iTunes Plus file on your computer. Then choose to open it with a text editor (Windows Notepad works fine). It'll take a while to open and will appear to be full of nonsense text, but if you choose the 'Find' option and type in the email address you have registered with the iTunes Store, you'll find that your DRM-free music is not personal information-free."

Still it's VERY unlikely that someone would actually get in "trouble" from this and have the RIAA come knocking at their front door. After all this is not new as iTunes has been doing this since they started using the Plus Files.

Just remember that just because the music is now DRM free, piracy and using P2P networks will not be any easier (or harder!). Apple is watching you…

Source: iTunes Plus: Everything you need to know - Crave at CNET UK
    AppleChic

With the DRM free music what are the terms? Is my daughter allowed to share it with her brother? Her friends?
    I would share my music with my kids but for some reason they say they would rather have hot needles pushed under their fingernails than listen to 'proper' music (eg - Deep Purple)

PS - Just realised this is under 'Mac stuff' - why? I have a mac (but don't use it) and my kids only have PCs
    Last edited by confucious; 01-13-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Has anyone tried like... going into the files with a hex editor and just blanking the information? I know in notepad, it probably won't work if you just delete the email out of there and save it again, you'd end up with a binary file saved as ascii.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    PS - Just realised this is under 'Mac stuff' - why? I have a mac (but don't use it) and my kids only have PCs
    anything that isnt iphone or ipod goes in the mac news forums -- because uh we want to

pretty easy to remove that, i have done just that, but I guess it would be a bad idea to post it on here

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    anything that isnt iphone or ipod goes in the mac news forums -- because uh we want to
    Fairy Nuff - but the iPhone has got us non-mac users (otherwise known as the enemy) using things like iTunes.

Strange, but true
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Fairy Nuff - but the iPhone has got us non-mac users (otherwise known as the enemy) using things like iTunes.

Strange, but true
    why cant we all be friends?

anyways back to topic on hand. Hahahaha @ email embedded into the iTunes Plus file. Very easy to find and remove.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    why cant we all be friends?

anyways back to topic on hand. Hahahaha @ email embedded into the iTunes Plus file. Very easy to find and remove.
    I'm sure we can be - just I wouldn't have found this if it hadn't been for a link - maybe there should be an iTunes section as that is MAC and Windows - as a mainly windows user I tend not to look in MAC forums as I know bugger all about them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

i personally say big deal. at least we're free to move music around to whatever device we want etc etc......stealing is still stealing, so the only people that will care about this are the conspiracy paranoids(oh no, apple is monitoring me and sending their info to "the man") or people actually stealing music. i say invest in the music....esp with itunes so we can keep seeing new gamechanging products like the iphone coming out of apple......don't go to zune though...they just use the money to flood the market with more crap

what happens if you export the AAC to another AAC? is the info still there?

Thanks

does this mean we can sync iphone with more than one computer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneroeth View Post
    what happens if you export the AAC to another AAC? is the info still there?
    yeh i was thinking that too... im gonna give it a crack

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Free some bytes?
    Yeh, as has been said, this personal information is really pretty easy to remove anyway, just imagine the bytes of storage you could save by erasing this pointlessly stored personal information in all of your music collection.

I'm not suggesting anyone do it, nor am I condoning it by the way, the existence of the information is probably now part of the agreement made between you and the vendor(?) when you purchase said music.
    NeO
    iPhone 2G 2.2 8GB - VodaUK
    |OSX86 10.5.6|Win 7|Win XP|Win Vista Ult|

If one were to want said information 'scrubbed' from their files, I think a batch 'scrubber' would be nice. Anyone...Bueller...Bueller. I'm not condeming nor am I suggesting Mr. Man, just making statements

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Curious
    Oh, I'm curious, is it embedded in the ID3 tag or similar? I came across some of my tracks that had copyright information embedded by the program that ripped them from the CD, but unlike the rest of the ID3 tag, it wouldn't let me erase it (in windows right click-properties) I didn't think to take a look at them in a hex editor before hand but simply did a batch convert with direct stream copy straight to clean untagged files. (It was causing no problems, but as a perfectionist I prefer not to have someone embed their details in my tracks just because I used their software to rip them. Maybe next time I'll get a pen and paper and write out the binary so I can make the file myself in notepad.
    NeO
    iPhone 2G 2.2 8GB - VodaUK
    |OSX86 10.5.6|Win 7|Win XP|Win Vista Ult|

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rel1215 View Post
    don't go to zune though...they just use the money to flood the market with more crap
    LOL... another uninformed idiot.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Strange, but true
    I beg to differ being that iTunes is the # 1 selling online music store. The mac population did not put them there....

......epic

Green Apple
    Thanks

just converting it to like an mp3 gets rid of the data im pretty sure.. i did it and searched for my name and no results..

but still why would you? the cops arent gonna book you for having your email in a song.. right?

Once I found someone's iPod and copied a purchased song off of the device on linux and used strings to get their email. This can be a potentially good or bad thing. It goes both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast