+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New 17" Macbook Pro Hands-on Thoughts

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
While at Macworld I found myself wandering over to the new 2009 edition of the 17" Macbook Pros more than once. Without more exciting things announced by Apple at the
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default New 17" Macbook Pro Hands-on Thoughts

While at Macworld I found myself wandering over to the new 2009 edition of the 17" Macbook Pros more than once. Without more exciting things announced by Apple at the keynote all my anticipation and excitement for new Apple products was focused on the only piece of new hardware revealed. Lets face it. The charismatic and awe inspiring keynote by Steve Jobs Phil didn't really leave me with any other shiny new Apple geek gear to play with. In the end the 17" Macbook Pro received a lot of my time/attention. I was all prepared to write up an overly positive hands on review while my eyes were glazed over from shiny new stuff syndrome. For some reason I didn't and now a few days later I have some real thoughts.

Is it nice?

Of course. It's very nice. Just like the unibody Macbooks and 15" Macbook Pro's released just a couple of months ago this notebook has excellent build quality and finish. It makes you happy typing on it. It feels solid. Do we expect anything else from Apple? The construction quality is one step above the last revision from a year ago due of course to the unibody design. The newest revision of the Apple keyboard is comfortable to type on and if the Macbook, Pro and Air are any indication the keys wont have paint wearing off or any garbage like that.

Is it really nice?

In what way? Some things are good some things = meh. Over all this is just a normal product line update for Apple with nothing particularly special other than standard upgrades (besides the battery). I don't know since this product update is mostly what we already expected. Starting from the outside and working in:

Unibody

I'm a big fan of these unibody macs. While previously the casing for the Apple notebook line was nice after aging sometimes the fit would become a bit loose and edges just didn't come together as well as they used to. After owning a unibody mac for awhile these problems don't seem to exist with the unibody design. Comfortable edges, very precise, reliable fitting with the very few places to parts come together, and a very sturdy feel makes the overall fit and finish of the new 17" higher than the previous revision which is no real surprise. It is also not a good reason to rush out and buy the new 17"

The display

Well it is very nice. LED backlit @ a resolution of 1920x1200 with 78 percent more pixels than the 15-inch MacBook Pro. Why Is Apple comparing the big Macbook Pro to the small one? Apples to bananas I suppose. Comparing back to October 2008 the screen resolution has not changed on the LED backlit version -- just now it is standard instead of an extra $100. What has changed is the 60% greater color gamut which basically makes the display look more gorgeous than the already gorgeous predecessor (October 2008). In the real world though when we leave paper specs behind most people will not notice much of a difference if any between the screens of the new 17" and old glossy screen 17". Also nice is the option to order a matte screen instead of glossy. The newest revision of Apple's notebook line can only be ordered as glossy and the option to have matte on the 17" is nice for proponents of matte screens (although they get screwed with a $50 charge -- glossy is better anyway).

The guts

The processor receives a bump in speed as expected after a year with the option of a blazing fast 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo for and extra $300. The base model is faster as well with 2.66GHz standard. Memory can be upgraded to 8gb if you're a super power user. Stock is 4gb which was the max in the last model. The graphics have really changed from 8600M GT graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory to NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor for better battery life and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT for higher performance . This is a very good upgrade as the 8600M GT was getting a little long in the tooth. The new 17" also has the ability to switch between the two graphics architectures just like the 15" model. With the higher performance you can do more intensive graphics in more windows with less lag – it can probably handle most anything you throw at it and in my short testing with iMovie and Photoshop etc all responses were instantaneous with zero signs of hanging (using 9600M GT). Also inside to speed things up you can purchase a SSD drive but I don't consider that a real option as SSD drives still aren't anywhere near cost effective on OS X which does wonders with caching. The other hard drive options remain the same.

The battery

My first impression of the internal battery idea is that it is insane. Who wants a laptop with a fixed battery? What are you going to do without the convenience of being able to swap out for a fresh battery when the notebook is out of power? Sure it does look smooth with no battery latches (pictured above) but seriously Apple wtf?

After a little more consideration about this new batteries specs I have decided that it may be okay. If it really does last 8 hrs (read 6-7 hours if Apple's claim is consistent with past battery claims) then that is 40% longer than the previous model's 5 hrs (read 3-4). Doubling the battery life would make the run-time on the new 17" comparable with the old 17" if you were lugging around and extra battery. That's okay in my book. Same run time as the previous model with an extra battery means saving space and weight while traveling. With 8 hrs you could put in a full work day without recharging which is nearly unheard of in laptops. 1000 charges will also last a couple of years as well and I imagine having Apple replace the battery when it is finally worn out every two years will only take a little time at an Apple store and $100 which may actually be cheaper than buying new removable batteries for the old models yearly. If the new battery performs as advertised it looks to be a winner when compared to previous iterations of the Macbook Pro 17". Unfortunately I wasn't able to test out the battery life – the Apple employees weren't up for me leaving it unplugged all day long.

All in all

If you bought a Macbook Pro 17" October or after you got screwed. This one is better for the $ across the board. You should have waited 2 more months. For everyone else while this model is quicker and built better it isn't anything bleeding edge. It is just a normal product update. If you are a extreme power users consider picking one up because of the better graphics and the ability to throw in an extra 4gb of ram. If you aren't you might look out on ebay or craigslist for October 2008 through December 2008 version with the LED display upgrade since it is nearly on par with the new base model 17 incher and will probably keep some cash in your pocket

Some more photos

thx random guy for waving your hand around while ppl are taking pictures
    "apple fans move SO fast" - poetic_folly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Slovig (01-12-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very nice review. I'm thinking of picking one up, but I'll first wait to test them out in the Apple store, and wait for more reviews once they start shipping, and people find the bugs (if any) of the new product.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've got a 2.4Ghz 17" MBP that's about 18 months old now. I've put my order in for the new one today. I bought my wife the new MB a couple months ago and really love it. My MBP is how I make a living and I use it all the time everywhere so I'm always looking for the best I can get to get my work done.

With the increased battery life, if I can manage to get in a couple more hours per month in billable time, I've got it paid for in a short span of months after selling the current one.

Ship date is 2/10...gonna have to build a countdown timer to put on my desktop... sigh...

Doc

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Great review cash! These things look amazing. If I didn't own a desktop as my main computer and a Macbook Air for travel and my couch I would definitely consider a 17" laptop as a main unit. For the average user... especially if you do any traveling.. the Macbook Air or a 15" MB Pro feels quite unobtrusive in your carry on bag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm not impressed with Apple's crappy and over-rated 8 hour battery. 8 hours? That's really nothing special. Hewlett Packard has a 20 hour battery. Apple, beat that. Dell has a 15 hour battery.
    BostonPocketPC - HP Breaks the 24-hour Battery Life Barrier & How They do it.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks very nice and solid..
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by w0by View Post
    I'm not impressed with Apple's crappy and over-rated 8 hour battery. 8 hours? That's really nothing special. Hewlett Packard has a 20 hour battery. Apple, beat that. Dell has a 15 hour battery.
    BostonPocketPC - HP Breaks the 24-hour Battery Life Barrier & How They do it.
    For a 17" that's good.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    For a 17" that's good.
    But not nearly as good as Apple wants us to think it to be
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I just got mine yesterday. It's my first Mac and I absolutely LOVE it. My old HP is sitting on my dining table whimpering because I dont play with it any more. I have Vista loaded on it to play games, that's all it's for, and it is smoking fast! The battery life is incredible, but it kinda sucks knowing I can't just pop in a charged one when I want. But other than that I can't express how much I love this thing! Anybody wants pics I can upload some.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I prefer the new 13" pro
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME