Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor: iTunes will be DRM Free by Tuesday

Default Rumor: iTunes will be DRM Free by Tuesday

There are rumors circulating that Apple is about to start and end of the year sales push that will finally allow unprotected iTunes music from all major labels.

A French technology site ElectronLibre says that it's now "clear" Apple will bring new life to its music store by removing DRM from tracks published by Sony, Universal and Warner on December 9th. ElectronLibre does not have a long track record but did accurately leak the launch of French iTunes TV shows.

This rumor comes after several others that said Apple was negotiating DRM free terms with the major labels.

Also shoppers themselves have interestingly noticed songs briefly selling unprotected that weren't either from EMI or independents.

It’s also believed that Apple will start a post holiday campaign for Europeans after iTunes goes DRM Free. Apple Insider reports, “Apple will quickly follow up the move with a promo campaign nicknamed the "12 Days of iTunes" that will let shoppers in France, Germany and the UK download an "unlimited" amount of content just after Christmas.”

This promotional campaign would most likely exist to soften the blow of the post holiday download slump.

So who knows if this is true or not…but *fingers crossed* that it’s for real and all iTunes music will be DRM Free by tomorrow!

Source: AppleInsider | Rumor: Apple's iTunes going DRM-free starting Tuesday
    AppleChic

yeay! that was faster than i thought
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

So what becomes of DRM-encumbered material I already purchased? Will I have to re-purchase it?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miniver Cheevy View Post
    So what becomes of DRM-encumbered material I already purchased? Will I have to re-purchase it?
    it should keep playing. If you want it without DRM you'll probably have to repurchase it or upgrade it (for some cents)

from the pic it looks like upgrading will cost some dough. Apple is STILL trying to make money off this crap. ridiculous
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    it should keep playing. If you want it without DRM you'll probably have to repurchase it or upgrade it (for some cents)
    Dumb, but I suppose it's better than nothing...

Thanks

I'll believe it when it actually happens. Until that time it's just a rumor. More likely Apple will offer their customers music that is DRM free but I don't believe all music tracks offered will be DRM free, only a select few from music labels.

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB

so of it's del free, what's the benefit from that?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    so of it's del free, what's the benefit from that?
    Just means you can use the content for whatever you want.

And not just within Itunes or an ipod, iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Just means you can use the content for whatever you want.

And not just within Itunes or an ipod, iphone.
    when said like that, it's appalling that those are the only devices you can play their music on...sad how the biggest online music store required that you use only their goods
    Last edited by dale1v; 12-08-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

im a little fuzzy on the whole point of DRM.

Let me outline my take on it:

I purchase a song from iTunes.

I purchase a song from iTunes and sync it on my iPod or MP3 player of choice.

Supposedly I can only play that song that I purchase on that MP3 player of choice and no other.

(If i am already lost on the concept then please let me know...)

The reason I ask, is cause I have never had a problem taking an archival copy of a song purchased on iTunes from a friends computer, sending it to my computer via hosting site of choice, and then syncing it to my iPod or iPhone or whatever...

So what is the point?
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^The point is....now you will be able to do it "legally".

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Upgrade your old "drm mp3" to "drm free mp3" for only .99!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

DRM is pointless, anyway. All you have to do is burn the songs to a cd (which I guess some people still do, lol) and then rip them off the cd and the DRM is gone.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^The point is....now you will be able to do it "legally".
    so basically it doesn't deter functionality, but it psychologically makes me feel bad about copying music from my mp3 player to my wifes mp3 player...

Gotcha...

@DarkoNova "DRM is pointless, anyway. All you have to do is burn the songs to a cd (which I guess some people still do, lol) and then rip them off the cd and the DRM is gone."

I believe the simple answer to that, and without wasting an optical disc would be to use a nifty little program called mediacoder (which is free, and very very good). Works quite nicely for the Windows platform.

So does DRM add anything to the audio file like what sony tried a couple of years back or is it simply a purchasing agreement?

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I will buy from itunes now that they are removing the DRM. I'm sure they will see a big increase in sales now.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

i've got a curve ball for anyone willing to answer....

The ringtone program in itunes would only allow DRM singles as ringtones right? You'd have to buy them, then cut them, etc....

If they are removing the DRM shouldn't we be able to make ringtones out of everything now?

I have always used any mp3 to make ringtones in itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by krafty View Post
    I have always used any mp3 to make ringtones in itunes.
    really? is all the material you're using purchased on itunes?

What method are you using?

in case you folks don't know about this, but you can use a program called iRinger, it's free, but it will take any song that you have, allow you to edit it however you want to and even add some DSP (that's effects in case no one knows). It will also automatically add them to the iTunes folder and they will automatically pop up in iTunes.

iRinger :: iPhone Ringtone Factory

The irony about all this DRM is that I actually make my own custom sounds and ringtones, ergo... I write and sequence my own stuff, and because they aren't covered under any DRM iTunes didn't want to use my custom sounds...

Go figure, I am my own copyright/copyleft/creative commons/whatever licensed owner to my own music...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast