+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Copy Cat Mac: OpeniMac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It seems that Psystar’s knock off MacBooks have emboldened a new company to create their own system, OpeniMac, despite the legal battle Psystar is currently engaged in with Apple. It’s
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Copy Cat Mac: OpeniMac

It seems that Psystar’s knock off MacBooks have emboldened a new company to create their own system, OpeniMac, despite the legal battle Psystar is currently engaged in with Apple.

It’s not 100% clear who this new company is, but it is known that it’s an Argentinean-based dealer. Their product is not an all in one design but they do have a nice new website up promoting it.

Currently the dealer is offering for only $990:

“A 2.53GHz "OpeniMac" with 3 MB of shared L2 cache, 2GB of DDR2 SDRAM, a 320 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm drive, an 8X SuperDrive, and an ATI Radeon HD PRO with 256 MB of video memory GDDR3. Another $340 will get you a 19-inch LG LCD display to go along with it.”

There is also a high-end computer called…you guessed it... the "OpeniMac Pro," for $1710. The Pro comes with “a 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6 MB of shared L2 cache, 4 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, a 500 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm drive, an 8X SuperDrive, a NVIDIA GeForce GS with 1 GB of GDDR3 video memory, and "a brilliant" 20-inch LG widescreen display.”

The OpeniMac website even throws a hit at Apple’s system performance on their website by showing a series of benchmark graphs that compare the two.

Source: AppleInsider | Psystar emboldens "OpeniMac" copycat clone maker
    Last edited by AppleChic; 12-08-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    AppleChic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

PAKIS-RULEZ (12-05-2008)

Thanks

eehhhh :-\

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

*sigh*... yet another eminent legal battle.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    *sigh*... yet another eminent legal battle.
    u have no idea how funny i find this lol
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

Thanks

what a slap in the face to apple. awesome. hahahaha
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Y not just use hackintosh>?
    Hackintosh FTW!

Thanks

If they legally have a copy for every OS stuck on one of these machines, what's the issue?

I think it's awesome... Slap apple right in the face baby!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocchiararo's Avatar
    Thanks

but my country is known for ilegal stuff, i would guess they have pirated oses (the os in my country costs between 200 and 300 u$s alone if im not mistaken)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

wow. simply wow!
    these guys gotta have a sh!t ton of money to set this up in the first place!
    and then they must be making a SH!T ton more on sales to be worth the risk of lawsuits!
    imagine the millions of dollars involved and it becomes mind boggling.

Thanks

anyone who competes with apple and any of there products or programs is potentially at risk for a lawsuit. apple tried to sue a company for making an mp3 player look too much like an ipod. also itunes alternative programs are starting to get targeted harshly recently. its just apple being apple. thats all. but companies like this just slap apple and thier crap in the face. pure awesomeness

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    If they legally have a copy for every OS stuck on one of these machines, what's the issue?
    It's part of Apple's License Agreement that OSX be installed on Apple Hardware. Installing it on anything else even with a valid OSX purchase, still breaks the agreement.
    iPhone 4 Running 6.1.2 on TMo
    iPad WiFi 64GB
    MacBook Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firedog341 View Post
    It's part of Apple's License Agreement that OSX be installed on Apple Hardware. Installing it on anything else even with a valid OSX purchase, still breaks the agreement.
    fo sho. you have a valid point there.

Thanks

Are we sure that other countries even have to follow our rules. I like apple software but damn if they don't charge a lot for the hardware. Maybe if we didn't have to see an apple commercial every 10 minutes, the units wouldn't have to cost as much. Obviously other companies have figured out how to make it run on some pretty nice computers for a lot less.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

i think napster should sue apple for copying their design. that would be a slap in the face to apple haha.

Thanks

ENLIGHTENED me with news that that is osx not the edited version or boot leg or some weird stuff?

b/c i am looking for a mac pc in desktop shape to make iphone apps lol but i am a pc master not gay macs.. just b/c of no gaming support by apple in their hardware...

and i couldn't get osx to dual in my alien ware laptops

so this might me one i will be buying at cheap price lol i was saving money to buy mack book pro but i will go for cheap one now lol way to go..... apple gets a slap on their nuts so happy u ppl made my night when i got home form work all tired up this thread made my day wohoo

Thanks

You can't be much of a PC master to NOT be able to figure out how to build/install your own "hackintosh".

It's not that difficult. I have a PC with OS X on it, and a MacBook.. I rarely use the PC for doing Mac stuff, but it's fun to play around with.

Thanks

I hate companies like this.. not for the fact that they are trying to compete with apple but for the fact that somewhere out there you have some one who wants to buy an mac. It could be a young kid who doesnt know what he is buying , or a grandmother or parent who isnt computer savvy and is just trying to buy a grandson , son , or daughter a present so they google mac and the site pops up and they actually think they are buying a mac. I am fine with competing with mac. im actually all for it bc it makes apple try and improve continuously . I just feel bad for the uninformed buyer who is misled by what is actually being sold and when they get it is as well built or nearly as nice.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    pystar has a better concept. they were the originators of the hacintosh mass selling, and it seems like they offer more for less money. this one is just a couple hundred off, and you really don't get that much more out of it. wireless is optional, so an additional fee?? what? sorta need that nowadays

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    is it just me, or that laptop is pretty awesome for it's price, or can u get better for less? not really a laptop guru but it look nice

Green Apple
    Thanks

haha on the website go to the comparison and on the openimac video specs google translated it wrong.. "2 monkeys" instead of "2 monitors" lol