Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: QuickTime Update allows for SD iTunes playback over DisplayPort

Default QuickTime Update allows for SD iTunes playback over DisplayPort

Last night Apple released a new QuickTime update that allows standard definition iTunes movies to play over the new MacBooks' DisplayPort and onto older displays.

This somewhat addresses a highly publically criticized issue about how the new portables would not play legitimately purchased movies on external displays without HDCP support. However, as of now, the update is only for unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros as well as second-revision MacBook Airs.

This update should allow for the inclusion of any display that attaches through the VGA adapter and should also allow playback from DVI-equipped displays that donít have built in HDCP encryption. HD isn't affected as of yet since TV shows usually donít require the use of copy protection formats.

This change makes Apple a bit more in keeping with the typical practices of other movie stores and the movie disc industry as a whole, who tend place tighter controls on HD, but permit much less restricted playback for regular DVD- or TV-level resolution video.

Well, at least Appleís grip is starting to loosen! I am going to try this tonight and see how well it works.

Source: AppleInsider | QuickTime 7.5.7 allows SD iTunes playback over DisplayPort
    AppleChic

wow thats super exciting.........not. and dont even try to say that apples grip is starting to loosen. not after this attack on itunes alternatives. NOOOOOO way
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol it's about time I guess.

They'll never get it to work with HD though (Sadly). HDCP is a crock of *****... I don't see what good it does except for screwing customers, forcing them to buy the "latest" crap

It's sad that you need specialized hardware to even run it (video card, et al), but sucks even worse that monitors that should display the image perfectly, get left out in the cold.

On my windows setup for example, I have a 28" as my main monitor (HDCP) and a 22" as a secondary (no-HDCP). I'll usually use the secondary to watch stuff on Hulu and whatnot, while working... but any HD content from netflix or blueray movies need to be displayed on the 28. So lame

Wish someone would come out with some sort of HDCP emulation software that would fool it into thinking it was running on the correct hardware