Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple & Major Labels Already Reached DRM-Free Agreement?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple & Major Labels Already Reached DRM-Free Agreement?
    Last week we posted about rumors that Apple had entered talks with the remaining labels that are still requiring that their music is DRM protected when sold via iTunes. It now appears that Apple may have already finalized talks with the three remaining labels with DRM music on iTunes.

According to distorted-loop tracks from the three hold out labels (Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Sony BMG) have started appearing as iTunes Plus DRM-free upgrades in the iTunes store. Rakimís "The 18th Letter/The Book of Life" is available in iTunes as an upgrade to iTunes Plus. This album is via Universal which as of last week was one of the three remaining labels that only offered DRM music in iTunes. Another example that was pointed out by a MacRumors user is the "St. Elsewhere" by Gnarls Barkley album which is also available for upgrade along with many other albums from Warner Music Group.

We could be on the initial wave of the transformation of the entire iTunes Store to DRM free content and a major question comes up. How will Apple price these iTunes Plus albums to be competitive against other online music stores? Currently the DRM music is $0.99/song. iTunes Plus music costs a bit more. As DRM-free music becomes the iTunes standard will Apple lower DRM prices in order to put the DRM-free tracks at the normal $0.99?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's about time. DRM is such an annoyance. I might actually buy music from iTunes now.

i actually might buy music now

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Its cool that Apple is switching to DRM-free content. But restricting the consumer and then making them pay more for DRM free content? I feel like they have used supply and demand model appropriately...but at the consumers expense.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

iTunes Plus tracks used to cost more than DRM tracks but that hasn't been the case for a long time. You only pay more for iTunes Plus tracks if you upgrade your DRM tracks which you've previously purchased because an upgrade fee is charged.

iTunes Plus tracks and tracks with DRM cost the same.
    Last edited by dale1v; 11-26-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Okay, as happy as I am to hear about the 3 remaining labels switching to iTunes plus, the last paragraph of this article is, well, just plain wrong. iTunes plus tracks cost EXACTLY the same as regular DRM tracks. This kind of fallacy is really irritating and shows a real lack of insight. I've been really impressed by most of your posts cash, but this is really disappointing.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Okay, as happy as I am to hear about the 3 remaining labels switching to iTunes plus, the last paragraph of this article is, well, just plain wrong. iTunes plus tracks cost EXACTLY the same as regular DRM tracks. This kind of fallacy is really irritating and shows a real lack of insight. I've been really impressed by most of your posts cash, but this is really disappointing.
    actually as of the time when I wrote the original post these new drm free tracks that are being offered as "upgrades" tend to cost about 20 cents more to upgrade your drm music to drm-free

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh, I think we have a misunderstanding here. I thought that in your original post you meant that buying a DRM-free track from iTunes Plus would cost slightly more than buying a standard track, which was actually the case a long time ago when iTunes Plus was first introduced. But this hasn't been the case in quite some time.

"Currently the DRM music is $0.99/song. iTunes Plus music costs a bit more. As DRM-free music becomes the iTunes standard will Apple lower DRM prices in order to put the DRM-free tracks at the normal $0.99?"

It just sounds somewhat misleading to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

yar I probably should have worded things better