Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumors that Apple may use Carbon Fiber for MacBook Air

Default Rumors that Apple may use Carbon Fiber for MacBook Air

Although Apple has happily claimed having the world’s thinnest notebook with the release of their MacBook Air, there are now rumors that Apple is not satisfied with the weight of the notebook.

According to AppleInsider, people that are familiar with Apple’s manufacturing plans say the company is seriously considering replacing heavier aircraft-grade aluminum parts with carbon fiber parts in hopes of reducing the MacBook Air’s total weight to under 3lbs.

AppleInsider explains:

“Carbon fiber is an extremely lightweight material comprised of very thin fibers about 0.005–0.010 millimeters in diameter and composed mostly of carbon atoms. The atoms bond together in microscopic crystals that are aligned parallel to the long axis of the fiber and can thus be used to form exceptionally strong composites without requiring more material.”

The carbon filter parts are already in use with aerospace, sporting, and racing industries because of their high strength to weight ratio. Carbon fiber parts have recently become an option for the computing industry and are already in Sony and HP's Voodoo PC brands that use it to construct the enclosures on lightweight notebooks.

Supposedly Apple is considering replacing the MacBook Air’s lower aluminum case or bottom cover with one made from carbon fiber. Although this would raise production costs (which would probably just be passed on to the consumer) it could reduce the notebook’s weight by 100 grams. This would drop the weight from just over 3lbs to 2.78lbs.

Maybe I am missing something, but 100 measly grams hardly seems worth it unless Apple is trying for the world record of tiniest computer or something?

Source: AppleInsider | Apple may turn to carbon fiber for lighter MacBook Air
    Last edited by imode; 11-13-2008 at 12:34 AM.
    AppleChic

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is not surprising. Computers like the MSI Wind as Asus eee dominate in the weight category. Although the screen is significantly smaller and the cpu not quite as peppy, the people in the market for something small like that don't really need a bunch of raw computing power. Not to mention the fact that you can buy about 4 MSI winds for the price of one MacBook air!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

if they want an expensive but really efficient (termic and lightweight) use TITANIUM,
    the CNC manufacturing process is expensive, but carbon fiber manufacturing is almost an artistic handmade process, way too expensive
    also carbon fiber is a really bad termic conductor, it will overheat
    it is a bad termic conductor but a conductor anyway (electric conductor), IF any fiber loose frome the unibody it will make a shortcircuit.
    i really doubt the idea of makin a carbonfiber unibody, thats why the FERRARI ACER only used the fiber on the bezel

Apple can make the air as light as a slab of cardboard, but in my opinion it's still an expensive, unpragmatic, waste of money without a disc drive.

Apple should focus its effort elsewhere. Selling macbook airs in this economy is like GM selling its hummers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

carbon filter should read carbon fiber, no?

I don't doubt anything Apple will do.

For some reason, I have a feeling they know much more about the technology then we do, and how using it will be beneficial to them.

I agree with the above though, I think the Air is a piece of junk personally. My wife and I own onw. It's a point in the market Apple is putting money into that they simply just don't need too. The Macbook is doing just fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Darn, wheres a transmutation circle when you need one?

Default Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    carbon filter should read carbon fiber, no?

Yup your right. and for my opinion i think carbon fiber parts would definately cool but i will never own a mac...but its a great idea.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Carbon fiber... as long as it's not on the exterior. Remember the paint flaking problems with the TiBooks???