+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SanDisk may increase iPhone Speed by Improving Write Speeds

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default SanDisk may increase iPhone Speed by Improving Write Speeds

Today, SanDisk unveiled an advanced flash file system for solid-state drives (SSDs) that yields dramatic improvement in performance and reliability for computing applications. This next generation of patented flash management is called ExtremeFFS, and has the potential to accelerate random write speeds by up to 100 times over existing systems.

It has been discussed by reliable sources that the reason it takes so long to copy media to the iPhone is flash's slow write speeds. This is theorized because the relatively slow write speed of flash can have a bottleneck effect at certain times during certain applications and uses, although most of the time write operations are "fire and forget."

Recently, flash has made improvements in write speeds, but NAND flash will always be somewhat challenged in this aspect, because the way that writes work with the technology. In order to write data to a nonempty flash sector, you have to first erase that sector and then write to the newly emptied area. This erase-before-write need basically means writes are slow because they often take two operations to complete.

This challenge is worse for random writes than it is for streaming writes, because a single erasure of one substantial section of storage can accommodate a batch of multiple writes. In contrast, each individual of random writes must first be preceded by an individual erase. Most operating system’s drivers expect for a mass storage device to be structured like a hard disk, however flash is structured in the usual RAM grid structure and this means that there must be a way for mapping the OS model of filesystem locations onto the physical flash hardware.

In more detail, the ExtremeFFS works as such;

“In the case of ExtremeFFS, this OS-to-physical mapping is not static. Rather, the controller and software work with the flash to do dynamic mapping, so that related file blocks are clustered together for maximum streaming read performance, and random erase/write operations are distributed based on a number of reliability and performance factors. In regard to the latter, random writes can be cached and then actually written to the disk at the optimal time and location in order to cut down on the number of erases per write.”

The ExtremeFFS will start shipping in 2009, so who knows maybe faster iPhones are waiting somewhere down the line.

Thanks to “Poseidon79,” for letting me know about this story!

Source: SanDisk claims hundredfold flash speed boost for writes
    AppleChic

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds like a great idea. Wonder if this will drop the cost of Solid State Hard drives.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow that's awesome. Hopefully Apple if apple does use this they'll back it up with a MUCH better battery, since it looks like this sucker is gonna need it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

when and how will this get to the iphone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by logodude View Post
    when and how will this get to the iphone?
    It wont. This article has almost nothing to do with the iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The title is a bit misleading to say the least. Sandisk launching a new technology for flash memory really does not mean the iPhone will get it. Well, I am sure it will in SOME TIME, however right now it is expensive (as is with all new tech). I would be willing to bet that Apple would rather spend time adding overall memory than adding faster flash (at this time).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CademiaX View Post
    lol, nothing new here, I dont think this will be much faster, its basically on the fly defragging. So just pop in any current SSD and load up linux, then you don't have to worry about fragmentation and should see even better speeds with it
    Well in the case of the iPhone and any current mac, they are already running os x which is also built on Unix, and also has a defrag-on-the-fly mechanism (apple calls it 'optimizing')

This also sounds like additional strain on the CPU, but with the world of 8 core CPU's upon us who cares, not that mac will ever jump onbard, but hey, you can wish. :P
    Ever heard of a Mac Pro?

hackintosh ftw!

btw, endgadget FTW. This story has been on there for a few days.
    So who wins??? hackintosh or engadget???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    So who wins??? hackintosh or engadget???
    I think he means hackintosh as in a PC that runs OSX, not the website.

When asked what he would say to the columbine killers, Marilyn Manson said, "I would say nothing to them. I would listen to what they have to say, because that's what nobody else did" from the movie Farenheit 9/11

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

always good to dream of these good things happening for our great iphones. too bad its only a dream for right now.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN