Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Investigates Problems with New MacBook Pros

  1. #1
    Default Apple Investigates Problems with New MacBook Pros


    There are substantiated reports about a new MacBook Pro owner emailing Steve Jobs about issues he has been having with the glass trackpad and hinge. It is purported that he received a prompt reply via the telephone from an Apple Representative addressing his issues.

    The main problem he reported is the new glass trackpad's failure to register every single click, a problem that has been noted in several reliable reviews of the new MacBook Pros since their release. The representative that called back supposedly said that Apple is looking into the complaints, but does not have an immediate resolution.

    I am one of these new owners too…and relative to my previous archaic iBook G4, almost anything would be spectacular in comparison. However, I too have noticed this issue of the trackpad not picking up every single click. While the trackpad is a dream to use as it feels great to the touch and looks awesome, this is pretty annoying. I think the ad campaign Apple released where a representative said their teams toiled for long periods of time getting the “coefficient of friction,” just right, was a little off.

    The user also complained about the display hinge on the new model, which now has a better feel but uses less friction to shut… and this allows the lid to fall shut by gravity when held at an angle. However, the Apple representative who called back said the new hinge was designed to function in this manner, so it's less stiff.

    I have no complaints about the hinge, I consider it improved from the experience I have had. When I used a friend’s MacBook, the model right before the most recent update, the lid was so stiff to open that when you did open it your hand would sometimes slip off and the lid would slam back shut. The new lid on mine is working much better, but that’s just my experience.

    I do hope Apple offers to do something about the trackpad, although I think it’s a long shot given their history.

    Source: AppleInsider | Apple investigating problems with MacBook Pro's glass trackpad
    AppleChic


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

    dale1v (11-04-2008)

  3. #2
    Good to know. I was thinking about buying the new MBP this week. I think I'll wait it out a bit longer.

    Cheers,
    ================================
    Happily hacking my iPhone since 1.0

    Don't forget, it is polite to say Thank you!
    ================================

  4. #3
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Mac's are too expensive, I can't afford one
    I'm happy with Vista though seeing as more programs are developed for it. Apple can't compete against Microsoft unless they lower the price.
    Apple don't seem to be having a very good year, first iPhone issues which still haven't been fixed(mail app), the plug issue and now this.
    Microsoft FTW!!

    MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

  5. #4
    Just don't click right at the edge of the trackpad and you'll be fine :S
    and what could apple possibly do ? :S Send you a new trackpad in the post?

    ~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Conn18 View Post
    Just don't click right at the edge of the trackpad and you'll be fine :S
    and what could apple possibly do ? :S Send you a new trackpad in the post?
    what they could do? let you return your macbook of course. macbooks are god damn expensive compared to other notebooks out there and the customer should and can expect only the best quality for the $2000 or more they're paying.

    btw: does anyone know if the normal macbooks suffer the same issue? I guess so since it's the same trackpad ...

    regards

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    btw: does anyone know if the normal macbooks suffer the same issue? I guess so since it's the same trackpad ...

    regards

    i just bought my first mac last week, its a brand new macbook NOT a pro.... and i also feel that sometimes it does not register every click.... hopefully they do have a fix to this, its definitely something with the actual glass pad itself because with a wireless mouse it works flawlessly.

  8. #7
    yup, i have this problem too... I use a mouse when im not mobile.

  9. #8
    Default Lame
    Whatever happened to "it just works"? Everyone wants to use a mac because its SOOO much better than a pc and it just works and has no problems. uhhhh yeah...whatever. This is proof that Macs are just as bad and have flaws too. using a mac just requires less intelegence...using a real operating system actually requires an IQ of over 50.

    If you agree just hit that <img src="http://www.modmyi.com/forums/images/mobile/buttons/post_thanks.gif">

  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

    BigBadBruno (11-05-2008), dale1v (11-05-2008), flexaJ (11-05-2008), f_itunes (11-05-2008), grahampaull (11-05-2008), ometeol (11-06-2008), prgeno (11-05-2008), safinator (11-04-2008)

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    Whatever happened to "it just works"? Everyone wants to use a mac because its SOOO much better than a pc and it just works and has no problems. uhhhh yeah...whatever. This is proof that Macs are just as bad and have flaws too. using a mac just requires less intelegence...using a real operating system actually requires an IQ of over 50.

    If you agree just hit that <img src="http://www.modmyi.com/forums/images/mobile/buttons/post_thanks.gif">

    Get a life!
    Get a Mac!
    "Carpe iPhone"-"Seize the iPhone"-Steve's Roman Ancestors

  12. #10
    and of course, windows is NOT a real OS, right ? :P

    one thing i must admint, tho, is that my brother's girlfriend who was RALLY useless with her pc, and was unable to follow REALLY SIMPLE instructions by phone or MSN, was able to do a lot of stuff when i guided her through the phone when she bought her macbook and needed to get stuff from her pc to her mac :P (the pc was already configured to share her files, she needed to set the mac only )

  13. #11
    i have the new aluminum macbook (my very first time using OSX as i've been a PC guy for over 10 years), not the macbook pro, and are you talking about when you physically click the pad down or what you just "tap" the pad so there is no physical movement. i never use the the first method, always tap because it's silent and convenient, and i've never had a problem with response.

    also, i wanna note that all of the different finger gesture are really convenient... apparently this has been out for a while, but obviously microsoft wasn't clever enough to think of something like that for vista..

    i've always read fan boy posts about how they switched for PC to Mac and it was night and day and they loved the switch, but i didn't believe it.. now i do :P

  14. #12
    i work for microsoft customer service and i know what you mean about consumer level issues. I work in the professional and developer department so i deal with more professional customers but support for like MSN users and "consumer" level issues sucks so bad. all of that support is out of the Phillipines. i could not agree with you more...support for that end SUCKS. i hate just getting transfers from them... ugh.

  15. #13
    I have the new macbook not the pro and I haven't had either of these issues. The lid will not close from gravity, at any angle I hold it. And the trackpad has worked wonderfully except when I'm in Windows under bootcamp. Then I have to use three fingers to right click instead of 2, but I bet that's just a driver issue.

    I have had one issue though. I can't install the wireless N enabler. It keeps telling me I don't have the supported hardware.

  16. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 115 Times in 30 Posts

    Man, I am getting really sick of all the pc-mac arguments. We've all heard it before, so many times! Seriously, where did all of the mac-haters come from all of the sudden, and why are they on a website for the Apple products????

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

    ometeol (11-06-2008)

  18. #15
    I am a mac hater iPod touch and iPhone lover (I am not biased of companies they all have faults) I wouldn't buy a mac though for my own reasons them being
    1. Cost more for less usability
    2. Kinda makes me mad that Apple (lol not biased still) talks about the problems of Windows when the complexity of a Windows OS is so much more than that of a Mac OS its bound to have more bugs and problems (that's what you get with something that has more compatibility)
    3. Again I don't see the point of paying such a high price for something that works the same or less as a computer (its a fanboy argument for most people on the Mac side so really unless someone can make a good argument Ill stick with Windows OS's, XP preferably for familiarity)

  19. #16
    Super Moderator dale1v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 394 Times in 268 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    i have the new aluminum macbook (my very first time using OSX as i've been a PC guy for over 10 years), not the macbook pro, and are you talking about when you physically click the pad down or what you just "tap" the pad so there is no physical movement
    No, we aren't talking technique; we mean that the pads aren't registering all clicks no matter what pressure is applied, and that's what makes it a problem...

    obviously microsoft wasn't clever enough to think of something like that for vista..
    I know what you mean...I like how Apple are too clever to think of putting something like bluetooth and MMS support on their iPhone compared to Windows Mobile phones. I mean, who the hell would use bluetooth and MMS? Only an idiot would consider putting those features in a phone, am I right?! Silly Microsoft! Apple FTW!


    Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Seriously, where did all of the mac-haters come from all of the sudden, and why are they on a website for the Apple products????
    Because the website is predominantly for iPhone; the most popular Apple product.
    Last edited by dale1v; 11-05-2008 at 02:36 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

  20. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default nobody is perfect
    I use both PC (Vaio laptop and HP desktop) and Mac (iPhone, iPod, and Macbook). I have to say nobody is perfect. I like both OS systems, Vista may have stumble from start but it really wasn't problematic for me and really has been stable. The Macbook has the same amount of crashes as the Vista laptop but I live with it. I have friends who purchased the Mac Air just for the "look at me" factor, sitting at Starbucks to look cool. My Vaio cost $400 less and had more features and I produce more on it than say my wife's Macbook. I just don't like the idea that when PC/Vista/Windows have problems, there magnified ten times, while OS X problems are considered glitches and most mac users can't accept that problems do exist on OS X. Kind of like a BMW owner bringing thier car every three months for problems and labeling it "being maintained" or "regular maintanence" instead of thinking the car might be a lemon. Again I use both systems, main thing MS Office is available, I like both system but Mac fanboys or "I'm a Mac" guys maybe drinking Steve's juice of pure hatred for PC and Microsoft. And yes, I also own shares of Msft and AAPL.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to dadubarut For This Useful Post:

    dale1v (11-05-2008)

  22. #18
    I get this with my new macbook (1599 model) also. I thought I was not pushing hard enough but after ensuring to fully push down each time I am convinced the pad simply is not registering all the clicks.



    Quote Originally Posted by AppleChic View Post


    There are substantiated reports about a new MacBook Pro owner emailing Steve Jobs about issues he has been having with the glass trackpad and hinge. It is purported that he received a prompt reply via the telephone from an Apple Representative addressing his issues.

    The main problem he reported is the new glass trackpad's failure to register every single click, a problem that has been noted in several reliable reviews of the new MacBook Pros since their release. The representative that called back supposedly said that Apple is looking into the complaints, but does not have an immediate resolution.

    I am one of these new owners too…and relative to my previous archaic iBook G4, almost anything would be spectacular in comparison. However, I too have noticed this issue of the trackpad not picking up every single click. While the trackpad is a dream to use as it feels great to the touch and looks awesome, this is pretty annoying. I think the ad campaign Apple released where a representative said their teams toiled for long periods of time getting the “coefficient of friction,” just right, was a little off.

    The user also complained about the display hinge on the new model, which now has a better feel but uses less friction to shut… and this allows the lid to fall shut by gravity when held at an angle. However, the Apple representative who called back said the new hinge was designed to function in this manner, so it's less stiff.

    I have no complaints about the hinge, I consider it improved from the experience I have had. When I used a friend’s MacBook, the model right before the most recent update, the lid was so stiff to open that when you did open it your hand would sometimes slip off and the lid would slam back shut. The new lid on mine is working much better, but that’s just my experience.

    I do hope Apple offers to do something about the trackpad, although I think it’s a long shot given their history.

    Source: AppleInsider | Apple investigating problems with MacBook Pro's glass trackpad

  23. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me se23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    848
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    Well heres my 2 cents, I have 2 macbooks, 1 laptop & 1 pc. I went to get my new mac when they got released but didnt like it and after my white macbook has been back to apple 3 times for case cracks etc ( its now cracked again) still in my 1st year and blackbook needed a new battery after 3 months, I thought id wait & look already the problems are coming, my iphone 3g I put up with it, but Im not spending £1000 for a bunch of problems, So I brought an acer aspire a150 loooooool cheap, cheerful & no probs yet

  24. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    I am a mac hater iPod touch and iPhone lover (I am not biased of companies they all have faults) I wouldn't buy a mac though for my own reasons them being
    1. Cost more for less usability
    2. Kinda makes me mad that Apple (lol not biased still) talks about the problems of Windows when the complexity of a Windows OS is so much more than that of a Mac OS its bound to have more bugs and problems (that's what you get with something that has more compatibility)
    3. Again I don't see the point of paying such a high price for something that works the same or less as a computer (its a fanboy argument for most people on the Mac side so really unless someone can make a good argument Ill stick with Windows OS's, XP preferably for familiarity)
    well, it always depends on what you need.
    1. costs more, true, but why is mac os x less usable?
    2. mac os x is as complex as windows, but you're right windows is made for a lot of different hardware while mac os x is made for a specific hardware - but that's neither a pro nor a con for windows or mac
    3. well, not fully true. mac os has it's advantages over windows. it's more stable, the memory and CPU managment is way better, the x64 and multicore supports are better and stuff like that. besides that, apple developed most of the inovations/features of todays operating systems and because of that a lot of features are just more developed on mac os x than on windows (take the search, for example, the dock (which windows 7 will copy btw), widgets, stuff like that.

    I guess what I'm trying to say: Mac OS X is the more developed and faster, more stable operating system. BUT it's only usable on macintosh computers and because of that you are less flexible with the machine you're using it on and it's pretty pricy since macs are very pricy.

    that's it. I guess like a million people said that before me but: It's not about better or worse, it's just about what you need as a user. period. the same applies to the iphone btw. if you need bluetooth and MMS the iphone is like the worst phone in the world for your needs.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

    f_itunes (11-05-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •