+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macbook and Macbook Pro Can Handle 6 GB RAM

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Back when the new Macbooks and Mabcook Pros were first dissesembled it was pointed out that the chipset looked like it could handle 8 GB or ram. Unfortunately after testing
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default Macbook and Macbook Pro Can Handle 6 GB RAM

Back when the new Macbooks and Mabcook Pros were first dissesembled it was pointed out that the chipset looked like it could handle 8 GB or ram. Unfortunately after testing the theory it was discovered that no, they can't.

More testing has proven that the Macbook/Macbook Pro can handle a healthy 6 GB of RAM; two GB more than the 4 GB that Apple says it can handle.

When 8 GB was tested there were a lot of stability problems in OS X when the extra RAM was accessed. With 6 GB there don't seem to be any problems, just a healthy amount of RAM ready to be put to good use at any time.

The reason OS X has issues over 6 GB hasn't been determined yet but with a fix from Apple it's possible that the new Macbook and Macbook Pros could definitely handle a whopping 8 GB. Maybe Snow Leopard is the ticket.

To get to 6 GB you have to use one 2 GB and a 4GB 1066 SO-DIMM. If you want 6 GB of RAM in you shiny new laptop it isn't going to be cheap when you go shopping at Ramjet at the tune of $675.

[via macrumors]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how many ports does it have?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye826 View Post
    how many ports does it have?
    ram slots? two.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Thats just a crazy amount of memory for the average user, haha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone cjgonzales1900's Avatar
    Thanks

hello this will be cool when i buy a new macbook in about a year hope they will come with more ram by then lol
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Stability issues with >6 gb? Hmm... sounds like the system is not fully 64 bit, rather 32 bit extended. But still, it should be able to handle at least 64 gb of ram - Xserve or MacPro is a proof. I don't think it has smth to do with the OS itself. So cash, snow kitty won't a problem solver. IMO.

Maybe firmware limitations (EFI)?

Unless... I do remember problems with >3.2 gb of ram under hackintosh because of a JMicron.kext, which caused stability issues under first versions of HackOS 10.5.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just got a new macbook. cant wait to test this out

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean that the hardware can handle 8 gigs but OSX can only handle 6?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Is this only on the new models of the MacBook and MacBook Pro? I want a 17 inch MacBook Pro refurb from the Apple Store, not one of the new ones with the horrible glossy screen. Will the previous 17 inch model support 6 gigs of ram? And $675 for 6 gigs? Can't you use regular DDR2 667 PC5300 memory? Cause if that's true it won't cost you that much.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just have to say for the record. I love my new macbook. I bought the 13" 2.4 macbook last week and never looked back. It works wonderfully next to my hackintosh VAIO. Out of the box, it runs final cut studio wonderfully. Although I have yet to render large video files, I have no doubt it wont have a hard time just as long as I upgrade to 4 gigs, much more if it supports 6 (still wishing for 8 though)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what specific type of ram is needed to take it to 6gb. Anyone find any good cheap ones yet? newegg.com perhaps?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Stability issues with >6 gb? Hmm... sounds like the system is not fully 64 bit, rather 32 bit extended. But still, it should be able to handle at least 64 gb of ram - Xserve or MacPro is a proof. I don't think it has smth to do with the OS itself. So cash, snow kitty won't a problem solver. IMO.

Maybe firmware limitations (EFI)?

Unless... I do remember problems with >3.2 gb of ram under hackintosh because of a JMicron.kext, which caused stability issues under first versions of HackOS 10.5.
    i think the kernel is 32 bit. It would be interesting to install Ubuntu 64 bit on one of these with 8 Gigs of ram and see how it runs.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Is this only on the new models of the MacBook and MacBook Pro?
    The previous gen MBP (Santa Rosa, including the current 17" MBP) can take 6 gb RAM, but have the same issue with 8 gb, namely, once you breach the 4 gb used RAM, the system slows to unusable. I tried the 8 gb using 2x4gb SO-DIMMs and had the problem. However, once I brought mine down to 6 gb, there is no problem whatsoever. I've had 5.2 gb of RAM used once and it was perfectly fine.

The 4 gb stick you want to buy is this one and is for Santa Rosa only (NOT NVidia chipset MB/MBP). It's likely that the Santa Rosa MacBook and iMacs can take 6 gb as well.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
    The previous gen MBP (Santa Rosa, including the current 17" MBP) can take 6 gb RAM, but have the same issue with 8 gb, namely, once you breach the 4 gb used RAM, the system slows to unusable. I tried the 8 gb using 2x4gb SO-DIMMs and had the problem. However, once I brought mine down to 6 gb, there is no problem whatsoever. I've had 5.2 gb of RAM used once and it was perfectly fine.

The 4 gb stick you want to buy is this one and is for Santa Rosa only (NOT NVidia chipset MB/MBP). It's likely that the Santa Rosa MacBook and iMacs can take 6 gb as well.
    Thanks! Just the info I was looking for!

Green Apple
    Thanks

do you guys think i could put on the the pc2 5300 4gb ram in my imac?