+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Psystar Offering Things that Apple doesn't with OS X PC

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default Psystar Offering Things that Apple doesn't with OS X PC

Psystar is pretty famous lately for their PCs running OS X. Apple first filed suit against Psystar for making for building knock-off Mac clones claiming various grievances from copyright infringement to common law unfair competition. Psystar then filed a countersuit against Apple for antitrust violations. Currently Psystar and Apple are trying to settle the situation out of court. While their settlement with Apple is still in progress Psystar isn't afraid of making moves to stick it to Apple.

Instead of laying down and stopping its business Psystar is working hard to compete by offering things that Apple doesn't. You can now pick up a Psystar computer complete with really nice graphics and Blueray.

While you can argue that some of Apple's computers do graphics quite well for the price the Psystar boxes are a better value offering an array of graphics cards from Nvidia with the high end card being two GeForce 9800GT 512MB in one box.

Psystar really has an advantage over the Apple when it comes to the latest Blueray disk technology. To this point Apple still isn't shipping any computers that are blueray capable while Psystar offers a 6x Bluray Burner/16x DVD±RW DL.

OS X. Really nice graphics. Blueray. Maybe I need to grab a Psystar.

via macuser

Thanks

excellent. I'll be taking a look at their store as well.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow! That is some crazy Copyright Infringement! I don't understand how they can win this against Apple?

Thanks

Is there anything that will play Bluray movies ?

Thanks

copyright infringement? You STILL buy osx. You just don't end up using their hardware.

Thanks

Dual 9800GT's? Blu Ray? i just made one with higher specs than the highest iMac (excluding screen size), and it's cheaper. Psystar ftw
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

zOMG...

Why i have converted to apple from hackintosh (this is what psystar is), btw, huge thanx to netkas (man, you made it possible):

Anything you build with normal hardware (even with nexus ot noctua fans) is louder, than iMac or even MacPro. It's as simple as that.

In psystar i see a lever, which will make apple to be less "proprietary" and finally start selling excellent hardware (like 9800GT).

A little edit.
    Since it is an OPEN computer, i would expect to see "detailed specs" more detailed. Like mobo used (i assume its gigabyte or asus, P35/45 or X38), and some inside photos.
    Last edited by dennder; 10-29-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone Conn18's Avatar
    Thanks

OMG pystar is amazing.
    But $300 to ship to UK? WHAT?
    I would buy so much from them if shipping wasn't so expensive

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conn18 View Post
    OMG pystar is amazing.
    Just take the cost of shipping as a whole with the cost of the PC, and it'll still be cheaper than a mac. Buy it!!!!
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Dual 9800GT's? Blu Ray? i just made one with higher specs than the highest iMac (excluding screen size), and it's cheaper. Psystar ftw
    I know right? Maybe Apple should just buy Pystar and continue selling some reasonably prices OSX boxes

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

What makes me laugh is that building a PC and loading OSX has always been sheaper (even if you have another company do it) than it is to buy a Mac, yet I see all these surprised people posting on this?

It IS against the EULA to load OSX on anything NOT Mac, so technically this company is in the wrong based on the EULA.

Bluray, while cool, isn't really all people are making it to be. I would rather have a bluray in my home theater than spend money on bluray in a computer... there is just no need for it. Who is really going to watch a bluray on their "small" screen when they can just load the thing on their bigscreen and get a larger and nicer picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Conn18 View Post
    OMG pystar is amazing.
    If they are based out of the US, this is not at all surprising. Shipping a HUGE box (probably considered oversized) from the US to the UK costs ALOT. I doubt they are making a dime on their shipping charges.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-29-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Nice Nice, and the price is Great to! I might have to look into this, how can you lose?
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    What makes me laugh is that building a PC and loading OSX has always been sheaper (even if you have another company do it) than it is to buy a Mac, yet I see all these surprised people posting on this?

It IS against the EULA to load OSX on anything NOT Mac, so technically this company is in the wrong based on the EULA.

Bluray, while cool, isn't really all people are making it to be. I would rather have a bluray in my home theater than spend money on bluray in a computer... there is just no need for it. Who is really going to watch a bluray on their "small" screen when they can just load the thing on their bigscreen and get a larger and nicer picture?

If they are based out of the US, this is not at all surprising. Shipping a HUGE box (probably considered oversized) from the US to the UK costs ALOT. I doubt they are making a dime on their shipping charges.
    I knew about Psystar for months but what caught my eye and what I like most is the dual 9800 GT's (FTW!!!!)
    I don't use blu-ray, but if i don't have the player with my TV (which I don't), I would still have my PC, just in case someone happens to bring a disc in. So yeah I see your point, but some blu ray is better than none. Oh and of course you can just connect one of the 9800 GT's up to your TV and get the HD output you want....beautiful
    Last edited by dale1v; 10-29-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Waiting for mine to be shipped as we speak :-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's pSystar, not pystar. Mmmm. Py. Apple Py.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I haz 4870 x2 + water cooling with top of the line games like crysis farcry 2 warhead.
    Do you?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrian View Post
    Is there anything that will play Bluray movies ?
    Nope .... BlueRay is only used for Data archiving on OS X IF you can afford insanely priced 25 & 50Gb discs rather than install extra HD's

One of the problems with a Hackintosh, which is what Psystar is, is that one update can break your whole computer. Pystar last I looked disabled automatic updates but there still could be a patch for an app that could get through and what about for Snow Leopard 10.6? You are screwed then till teh Hackintosh community do a 10.6 disc. So you may as well get a pc consultant to build it and load OS X onto the pc for you using the Hackintosh disc ( which is what Psychstar do anyway ...there is NO WAY they use the Apple OS X disc that they provide you with there systems to try and be legal) Try reformatting your hard drive and re install in the OS with an Apple Disc ... I will laugh

Google is your friend ... all the Hackintosh info is out there... the question is how much is your time worth? If you are going to hack you can hack a high end card into a Mac right now and make MacPros run stably at 3.2 Ghz... I know which I would rather have...

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    I haz 4870 x2 + water cooling with top of the line games like crysis farcry 2 warhead.
    Do you?
    I have 4880 x 10 and my server is located on the far side of Pluto. Average cpu temps run just above absolute zero.

So there...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow. i'm glad this was posted. i am definitely taking a look at these. i read it just in time before i bought the 3.2 ghz mac pro 8 core =) maybe i'll save a couple thousand, ha