Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macbook Pro Capable of Dual GPU and Switching on the Fly

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Macbook Pro Capable of Dual GPU and Switching on the Fly

Nvidia visited Gizmodo today and gave out a few juicey facts about the graphics in the new Macbook Pros. First of all the chips can support up to 8 GB of ram previously speculated by iFixit during disassembly.

Next. The Macbook Pro is capable of switching between the 9400M and 9600M GT on the fly without logging out. This would provide some pretty cool power-saving options having the less powerful chip running when on battery and bringing in the big guns when plugged into an external power source.

Last. Yes the Macbook Pro is capable of Hybrid SLI (using both chips at once). There isn't too many uses for such an operation but talk about cool factor.

Will all these capabilities be enabled by Apple in a future software update? Will someone go in and figure out a way to make it happen without Apple?

[via Gizmodo]

Hmmm I still need to decide between a fully loaded Macbook and a low end Macbook Pro. I already have the 17", but its 3 years old Mostly for Audio productions though...

I want this LOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i love my macbook pro. i have a early 2008. trust me just get the 15 inch new pro, the pro's are where its at
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

What do you mean not to many uses for SLI? What about games?

i can't wait until i can afford one.

this will be my next computer.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, SLI in a laptop - the only thing crazier is that fact that it's an Apple laptop that's doing it! Anxious to see how it will perform.

Altho, doesn't an SLI bridge usually require two identical GPUs? Wondering how this will work out...

boneheadxan, sell your 17' on ebay to recoup some of the cost. If it's in decent condition you can probably still get roughly 70% of the intial investment back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boneheadxan View Post
    Hmmm I still need to decide between a fully loaded Macbook and a low end Macbook Pro. I already have the 17", but its 3 years old Mostly for Audio productions though...
    Be careful about the lack of firewire

What is this picture saying that its better to have two whores than one?

Quote Originally Posted by riku98523 View Post
    What is this picture saying that its better to have two whores than one?
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! Especially them two.

Quote Originally Posted by kLAcK View Post
    What do you mean not to many uses for SLI? What about games?
    The only bad thing, is that Apple and Nvidia would have to develop drivers for Windows too, because...well there aren't many high end games for Mac.

I bought this laptop last Friday, don't regret it a second!
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

iPhone? More like MyPhone lostwhiteboyy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    Wow, SLI in a laptop - the only thing crazier is that fact that it's an Apple laptop that's doing it! Anxious to see how it will perform.

Altho, doesn't an SLI bridge usually require two identical GPUs? Wondering how this will work out...

boneheadxan, sell your 17' on ebay to recoup some of the cost. If it's in decent condition you can probably still get roughly 70% of the intial investment back.
    Sager notebooks with windows vista have been able to run sli in a laptop for a long time now! but thats still awesome that it might be possible with a mac!

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    Be careful about the lack of firewire

Someone sent that same complaint to Steve jobs and his response and I agree......all hd video cameras in the last few years all have USB 2.0....

Thanks

Spastic909: He said he is using it for Audio production. Any high end recording equipment is going to rely on Firewire (yes, pci too but we are talking about laptops here)

lostwhiteboyy: I'm not much of a gamer, so I guess somehow I missed that! Never thought about a mobile SLI implementation. Awesome idea tho!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic909 View Post
    Someone sent that same complaint to Steve jobs and his response and I agree......all hd video cameras in the last few years all have USB 2.0....
    The new Mac Book Pro's still have firewire 800. Firewire was removed from the lower end Mac Book

I might be getting one this week!!!!!

wait, so there is still firewire with the new macs? that was going to be my only reason for not buying one..

Thanks

with the new macbook pros there is a FW800 port, which can also be used with FW400 devices by using an adapter. With the new macbooks there is NO firewire - unless you get the older white plastic macbook. o_0