+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What’s New Macbooks’ Audio & Video

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What’s New Macbooks’ Audio & Video

The new MacBooks and MacBook Pros come with a variety of changes and upgrades as to how audio and video are handled, such as the iPhone style integrated mic headphones and the new display port standard. Here is what’s new:

Audio
    The entire new MacBook line retains electrical analog and optical digital (S/PDIF) connections but also comes with the four-conductor headphone jack that comes with the original iPhone.

Also just as the earlier models did, the new MacBooks have an omnidirectional mic integrated into the left side of the speaker grill, however VOIP, podcasts, and audio conversations should be significantly improved with the new mic-integrated headphones.

Last month Apple updated the iPod Touch, iPod Nano, and iPod classic to support iPhone style headphones. Apple has also announced a new set of headphones that allow for playback controls and an integrated mic in the works for next month.

Video & Display
    DisplayPort is designed to replace the LVDS cabling used internally in notebooks and inside displays. The higher quality signaling of the DisplayPort gives Apple the ability to add support for multiple internal displays on the MacBooks in the future, like an LCD panel built into the trackpad, and the potential to allow for a single cable to drive multiple monitors.

The new MacBooks still use LVDS cabling internally to drive the built in display. This means needing to route a sensitive and large bundle wires from the logic board through the hinge and to the display panel. Future models may replace this design with a simpler, thicker signal cable when LCD panel makers adopt DisplayPort themselves.

On the left side of the new MacBooks, the new Mini DisplayPort contributes to a much more compact array of expansion ports. To look at the logic board (see picture above) it’s easy to tell why a difference in physical port size matters. The motherboard is only slightly larger than a quarter of the surface area inside the machine, and the left side does not allow for any room for ports or a full size DVI connector.

Source: AppleInsider | Inside the new MacBooks: Audio and Video
    AppleChic

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AppleChic For This Useful Post:

enjoi4586 (10-19-2008), huntor (10-20-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yay! First post. Hoary!!! Red Stripe. It's beer. Hoary Beer!!! It would be nice to control iTunes with your MacBook closed to bad iPhone users don't benefit from the new headphones with volume, mic, and click to advance controls.

Thanks
    very nice!

Banned
    Thanks

i like you applechic.
    keep em comin.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did they update the sound on the macbook? I can barely hear my music if there is any background noise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
    Did they update the sound on the macbook? I can barely hear my music if there is any background noise.
    i'm really curious about this as well. macbook speakers are REALLY pathetic. i noticed it the very first day i had mine, and it has also been the biggest disappointment. even after all this time, g4 iBook's still beat the pants off of macbook's when it comes to sound. and not like iBook's even had incredible sound, but having the speakers point away from the user? and from a company that's all about the design? hmmm... and my friends 5 year old peecee laptop he got for $100 sounds like a freakin' boom box...
    Last edited by b3nny; 10-19-2008 at 10:11 PM.