+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MacBooks Benchmark Tests

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone AppleChic's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New MacBooks Benchmark Tests

Primate Labs has published their findings on benchmark tests comparing the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros to their predecessors. The tests measure both process and memory performance, however graphics performance (GPUs) was not measured. The difference in graphics performance should clearly be a significant upgrade in the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Primate Lab’s findings show very little improvements in both process and memory performance as compared to predecessors. The process performance was unlikely to have seen great improvements, as the processors pretty much remained the same between revisions. However, the memory performance should have seen gains, as the bus speeds were increased to 1066MHz, but in practice the improvements have proved to be only slight.

Another set of benchmark tests done by PCMag, showed dramatic differences in 3D graphics when the new MacBooks were tested against PC laptops with the same 3D hardware as the Macs. This initially led some to believe that both GPUs were being used, but Nvidia has since then denied this. This discrepancy is difficult to explain though, so it seems for now more benchmark tests will have to be performed.

Of course, overall real use of the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros, will surely prove more impressive with the faster graphics cards accounted for. ArtsTechnica has posted some of its early reviews:

“It's important to note here that, while no serious gamer is going to be trading in his or her main gaming machine for a MacBook Pro any time soon, this level of performance in such a compact form-factor and at this price-point is pretty impressive. The new MacBook Pro is definitely up to the task of gaming on the road or for use at LAN parties when lugging around a desktop machine finally starts making your back hurt.”

Source: Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About
    AppleChic

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

regarding the MBs, i still think that they are overpriced, 1299$ for 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM and 160GB???????? not for me!
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-17-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

I agree robgomz, I went to the Apple store to buy the macbook today and I think it's overpriced and and im not really into games so it dont matter to me about 3d graphics. I was dissapointed with the screen aswell as I could see the screen ok but i could also see everything behind me lots of glare The design is ok but it reminds me of a HP laptop I had a few years ago. I did a dumb thing yesterday I sold my blackbook 250gb hd, 4gb ram 3year appke care for £600, the new one would only cost me about £800 with student discount but I left empty handed. At least they wont be called crackbooks no more (i hope)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

the new macbooks look very interested but im good (for now that is) with my 2006 macbook. my 2.0ghz, 250gb hd and 2gb ram works very well. when i do upgrade, itll be for a 2008 2.2 or 2.4ghz for around the same price as the new mb's. def since i was told its upgradable to 8gb ram. hopefully the 2nd and 3rd production of the new mb's are better, and cheaper.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree with robgomz even with the cool new updates 1299 is a little steep

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    I agree robgomz, I went to the Apple store to buy the macbook today and I think it's overpriced...
    Not really, need to compare with same spec laptops made by Sony, Dell etc and you'll find that in some cases the MB is similar in price or slightly cheaper.

Green Apple
    Thanks

time for intel to step up its game
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode View Post
    Not really, need to compare with same spec laptops made by Sony, Dell etc and you'll find that in some cases the MB is similar in price or slightly cheaper.
    The problem is that people aren't taking into consideration materials, build quality, and going green. Most would rather let nature rot and get a new toy every year....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    The problem is that people aren't taking into consideration materials, build quality, and going green. Most would rather let nature rot and get a new toy every year....
    Nonsensical rhetoric. There is NO way to justify the price bracket.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If going green is going to cost me 700$ I'm going to be blue

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    Nonsensical rhetoric. There is NO way to justify the price bracket.
    Relatively speaking, is there any price justification between a loaded Accord at 25,000 and a stripped BMW at 35,000 (if you can find one at 35k)? For a lot of people, having something that looks expensive and feels expensive is worth a little extra. The brand cache is worth a little more extra. Exclusivity is worth a little more (being expensive makes the product exlcusive and being exclusive make the product expensive).

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elementrace View Post
    Relatively speaking, is there any price justification between a loaded Accord at 25,000 and a stripped BMW at 35,000 (if you can find one at 35k)? For a lot of people, having something that looks expensive and feels expensive is worth a little extra. The brand cache is worth a little more extra. Exclusivity is worth a little more (being expensive makes the product exlcusive and being exclusive make the product expensive).
    HA!

thats like,
    "can't get a job cause i dont have a car, can't get a car cause i dont have a loan, cant get a loan cause i dont have a job!"

Dammit!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Talking re: above analogy
    very cute analogy fwiw! not sure but I think that is termed circular reasoning...maybe.
    have a nice day to all!

--jrlederer
    Last edited by jrlederer; 10-18-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: definition...i think so at least!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yea the price to me is kind of much...ok my laptop is a 17in HD LCD screen and a has a HD Blue Ray reader and has a built in subwoofer, intel core 2 duo processor and 250 hard drive and 2 gb ram plus more FOR less then a mac book or mac book pro price...BUT the mac books look good and yes i might buy on plus the new ones are aluminum...me i just want a mac book to see what is all the hype is about...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Glad I own an Alienware. lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought a new macbook and I really like it I ordered last week and received today.To me it is not that much lighter than my black macbook just a liitle .I like the trackpad it really works well you can adjust the settings in system preferences and I also think mine is pretty fast though I will probably update the ram to 8gb.the speakers sound very good it seems like a solid machine( I like the aluminum casing) I have had ibooks, macbooks,and powerbooks so I am not new to apple laptops.Nice product.
    Last edited by skblut; 10-20-2008 at 07:40 PM.