Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Jobs Responds to Angry Customer about No FireWire Port

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    Actually, there is no such thing as usb2 to firewire cable, or adapter. They are not compatible, in any way.

    There is usb2 to usb1.1 and firewire 800 to firewire 400, but those are part of each respective standard.

    To repeat, because this misinformation is flying around everywhere...it is impossible to use firewire devices with a usb2 connection!
    Never say impossible when it comes to electronics communications. There will be adapters.

  2. #22
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts

    i think its a little annoying but its only $20-30 for a firewire to usb adapter, sure i agree it would have been nice to have nontheless

  3. #23
    Well all the pro video cameras, that are still consumer aren't USB at all so they made a mistake in not having firewire, and firewire is a much better connection for video anyway as it's a constant rate instead of a changeable rate which usb is.
    Last edited by HarvJH; 10-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #24
    I have 2 mbox 2 , one FireWire and one USB , I really love the FireWire one but really can't tell a difference

  5. #25
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    Actually, there is no such thing as usb2 to firewire cable, or adapter. They are not compatible, in any way
    So true .... you can't even buy a dongle/gadget/black box that converts between the two

    The writing is on the wall. No firewire ports today, no firewall OS support in the future. Apple continues to dictate what we want. And as complete fools, we bend over and say ..... one more time please !!! Vote your dissatisfaction with your wallet.

  6. #26
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    i think its a little annoying but its only $20-30 for a firewire to usb adapter, sure i agree it would have been nice to have nontheless
    Jeeezzz... how many times people here should tell those like you, there is no such thing?

    The only way i see it can be done, is the dual USB/FireWire Hub.
    But i seriously doubt it will work the way we all want.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  7. #27
    I've never used firewire so it doesn't matter to me. But as Cali Lewis said, you can get an adapter for your "old" gen electronics.

  8. #28
    WOW!! is he one of the few people that actually uses the firewire? i dont use it and i dont think i will be having any devices that needs to connect to a firewire. good luck to him i guess.. :?:


    OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

  9. #29
    i will not be getting a new macbook due to the fact it doesn't have firewire.

    i guess i'll just have to go with a new macbook pro... ;-)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

  10. #30
    I COMPLETLY AGREE! Most old currently owned cameras use firewire it is bs to assume that everyone buying a computer also just bought a camcorder its bs

  11. #31
    people who edit video professionally want firewire ports. people with external hard drives want firewire ports because firewire is MUCH faster than usb 2.0. professional and students involved in video editing will be very disappointed/ disinterested in a macbook with the power of mac pro incapable of interfacing with pro video equipment. im not even sure you can capture video with usb 2.0 in final cut pro. it was just a bad decision all around.

  12. #32
    My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sinking Spring, PA
    Posts
    898
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts

    ive gotta say i have never used the firewire port but if it is faster then why would apple take it out and why does everyone use usb? this makes absolutely no sense. and i agree with skatertrash there are some kids in my school that are in to movie editing and all they use is firewire.

  13. #33
    This forces me to have to get a much more pricey macbook pro for my next laptop instead of a macbook as I'm sure is part of the reason they took firewire out of the macbooks. I don't do anything video related just yet but there is no way I'm doing transfers over USB... USB to put it simply.... sux.
    USB has always proven to be unreliable when transferring large files are a large amount of files. Firewire on the other hand has always blown large files away or a large number of files. I mean I can transfer 30 gigs no problem in a matter of minutes with Firewire but USB takes a LONG TIME and even then some of the files end up being corrupt or the transfer stops all together. Firewire FTW... plus unless they allow target disk mode over USB, Firewire is a must... and even if they do allow target disk mode over USB... I wouldn't trust it.

    **OFF TOPIC** The crazier thing than the firewire is the whole mini display port thing... I mean what the heck? I want that new monitor but my barely 1 year old Mac Pro can't even use it...
    Last edited by mrt2; 10-17-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    Actually, there is no such thing as usb2 to firewire cable, or adapter. They are not compatible, in any way.

    There is usb2 to usb1.1 and firewire 800 to firewire 400, but those are part of each respective standard.

    To repeat, because this misinformation is flying around everywhere...it is impossible to use firewire devices with a usb2 connection!
    I used adapter long time ago , from fire 400 to usb.just go to any pro video store its only 10-25 $

  15. #35
    What is a Firewire to USB Adapter?

    "The two technologies are not integrated, and it is not possible to connect a USB device to a Firewire port either directly or through the use of a Firewire to USB adapter."

    "Posted by: anon16212
    I just received a 4-pin firewire to usb adapter (about 2 inches long) from Hong Kong. I am in the central US. It cost me $2.69, which included shipping, on eBay."


    "Posted by: anon16010
    why would you need to? the usb would severely bottleneck the speed, what benefit is gained?"


    Anyway..Lacking of FW port(s) in new MacBooks will stop me of buyin one for sure...
    Last edited by SERBIAN; 10-17-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    ---------
    Yes, you're a PC. But you come with Vista, which is like a chick with herpes.

  16. #36
    >I used adapter long time ago , from fire 400 to usb.just go to any pro video store its only 10-25 $

    Does this adaptor work with a camcorder->iMovie? If so, then great.

  17. #37
    I have a 2007 MB and if I upgrade I will miss the FireWire only because I liked being able to access my hdd on another comp. Using it as a portable disk.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    I have a M-AUDIO FireWire 410 (semi-pro external audio i/o device).
    It is designed to be "do music on the go". Newer, better one - FireWire 610 has been introduced few weeks ago. Both still use FW !ONLY!

    I have all the macs around and i've planned to buy a new macbook...
    So what now? MBP or competition?

    Despite the fact, that i became an apple fan - **** happens, apple! =(

    sziklassy


    I disagree. It does not. The fastest ones are always optional and for additional charge higher, than in competiting products. GPU's arent the fastest at all.

    I agree though, that apple low-end is mostly "high-ender" than the competiting mid level products.
    You hit the nail on the head for me!

    While i don't use anything firewire, my wife happens to be into audio production, and uses a focusrite LE interface, very similar to your m-audio 410.

    The thing about firewire is that it has a 12 volt bus and can power the interface, unfortunately for her she is running an HP DV9000 series laptop and there is no way to power her interface without a wallwort power supply.

    As it stands, there are no way to get power from a laptop that only has a 4 pin firewire. Even the PCMCIA cards wont power it.

    She prefers Macs over P.C's and we were thinking of getting her back into a mac and the new ones looked like the way to go.

    But now, if they aren't supporting firewire on them it looks like we are going to have to nix that idea.

    To comment on USB vs Firewire, sure there is speed differences, but considering that both are pretty fast, your not going to notice that great of a difference.

    A couple of seconds? Probably, but Minutes? I doubt it. I've transferred gigs back and forth over both, and have never really noticed any greater or lesser speeds.

    At least nothing for me to get excited over...

    Quote Originally Posted by czarnachmura28 View Post
    I used adapter long time ago , from fire 400 to usb.just go to any pro video store its only 10-25 $
    there aren't cables that do this, but there are Hubs that can do the job.

    You can buy a PCMCIA card for laptops that will have both 4 pin and 6 pin plugs in them, but they wont power the device.

    You can also buy an external Hub that will work as an interface.

    Newegg.com - BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini Model F5U507 - Apple Accessories
    Last edited by boe_dye; 10-17-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  19. #39
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    SERBIAN
    If you "googled" for the keyphrase "firewire to usb adaptor", then you should have also googled for the thing itself.
    This usb to 4pin firewire is not a cable, nor adaptor. It works under XP only. In order to make it work you need to install driver and software.
    Therefore, it is a UBS device, that has FW 4-pin connector.
    And giving the fact, it works under XP only, it is absolutely useless for mac.

    lmao.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  20. #40
    hahaha, i love steve jobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •