+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More Storage and Speed in Macbook Air

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Along with the updates to the Macbook Pro , Macbook , and Apple displays the Macbook Air also gets a bit of an update. Finally Apple has put some storage
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default More Storage and Speed in Macbook Air

Along with the updates to the Macbook Pro, Macbook, and Apple displays the Macbook Air also gets a bit of an update.

Finally Apple has put some storage space in the Macbook Air. The original top-level Macbook Air had a super quick Solid State Drive (SSD) with a measly 64GB of storage space. Now the top-level Macbook Air comes with a more respectable 128GB SSD.

In addition to drive space the Macbook Air also was updated in speed. The processor on the top-level recieves a minor update to 1.86 GHz. All Macbook Air models got a much needed graphics update (my little Macbook Air struggles with some movies -- especially packaged as .mkv) and now include NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics.

The prices and everything else stay the same for the Macbook Air.

[via apple]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have been happier with a sub-note. For the weight you save (about 2 pounds) you sure don;t get much else. The footprint is still huge so it still takes up a bunch of space... and there are still no ports or a disk drive. Just too expensive. If you have one of these you are simply saying "look at me I got money to burn!" The battery life isn;t even better than the new macbooks...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-14-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Feel sorry for all those who did buy the MacBook Air. Because look now! Surprise! Apple released a new version of it. And the previous Air came out not that long ago.

D:

Damn you Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sumichu View Post
    Feel sorry for all those who did buy the MacBook Air. Because look now! Surprise! Apple released a new version of it. And the previous Air came out not that long ago.

D:

Damn you Apple.
    It's the same for every product Apple makes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It's the same for every product Apple makes

That is VERY true.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Hmmm... I wonder what I could say to get mine swapped out for warranty and see if i'll get the upgrade?!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You would think that apple would release some sort of a usb compatable disk drive for these poor saps with their airbook. lol, they could even make it the disk drive air! I could see it now, "barely bigger than the disk it reads, weighing slightly more than 6 ounces..." I know good ol' Steve is looking towards the digital future and everything, but many things still come on disk (movies, music, games, etc.), and even when everything is available to be downloaded, I will still want a hard copy of my purchased data!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive

This has been out shortly after the Air came out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

WOW! I just feel silly now! My apologies.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

Superdrive is just a dumb name. There is nothing super about it. Reads/ and writes CDs and DVDs.... might be considered super if you got in your dalorian (sp?) and went back to 1985

Thanks

So I just got back from the Apple store and they said they won't upgrade my hard drive to either the 120GB or the SSD.... I have to buy the entire computer! WTF!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    So I just got back from the Apple store and they said they won't upgrade my hard drive to either the 120GB or the SSD.... I have to buy the entire computer! WTF!
    Tried something similar a few months ago... purposely trashed my macbook core duo in the hopes of getting it replaced with a core 2 duo under extended warranty. Nope... got a core duo back

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode View Post
    Tried something similar a few months ago... purposely trashed my macbook core duo in the hopes of getting it replaced with a core 2 duo under extended warranty. Nope... got a core duo back
    Hahahahahahaha...
    I need to do that to my Air right now so I can get one of those MBPs
    Good thing I bought the AppleCare

Anshu Chimala
    Follow @anshuchimala on Twitter
    Visit http://www.airpoke.com, my latest project for iPhone/iPod touch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Why not just replace it yourself? Apple overcharges for their components anyways (really not trying to bash apple, but honestly, it's true! perhaps the markup is for labor? Can't argue that it's higher 'quality' since they don't make their own memory/hard drives)

Then again, your warranty idea wouldn't work so well if you did...