+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $899 24 inch LED Cinema Displays w/Built-in iSight in November

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Announced today at Apple's event, a new LED 24" Cinema Display with iSight will be available in November via Apple, and has a /ton/ of cool features. An included magsafe
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default $899 24 inch LED Cinema Displays w/Built-in iSight in November

Announced today at Apple's event, a new LED 24" Cinema Display with iSight will be available in November via Apple, and has a /ton/ of cool features.

An included magsafe adapter lets you plug in your laptop directly through the monitor to charge. The iSight camera is now within the monitor itself, and its also got built in speakers. You can connect up to 3 USB 2.0 devices to the self-powered ports on the back of the monitor, and a mic is also built in.

The monitor is LED, meaning you'll no longer have to wait for your monitor to "start up" to achieve full brightness - its on right away, fully.

Max resolution is still 1920 by 1200, which is slightly annoying - at that size I'd like a tad more, but they sure are beautiful.

All this for $899, in November.

.apple.com/displays/

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

KelvinalF
    nice!!!

Thanks

FINALLY!

I've delayed getting a new monitor for almost a year in hopes of getting a new Cinema Display.

Thanks

too bad there's no firewire ports, 400 or 800
    ~Jayy

Green Apple
    Thanks

omg! im getting one cuz there cheaper!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

for 900 bucks you can get an HDtv almost twice the size.... or a widescreen display its same size for 450 (or even less)... Looks beautiful, no doubt, but at 900 bucks it's just a tad overpriced when compared to other items on the market.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Is anyone else a little worried that the isight will be angled either straight, or upwards, so you wont even be able to see yourself in it? Or is the isight angled downwards?
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    Is anyone else a little worried that the isight will be angled either straight, or upwards, so you wont even be able to see yourself in it? Or is the isight angled downwards?
    I would assume it is just straight... but the best way to tell is to just look at a tester :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a reson why apples monitors are so expensive? and computers too..? Why?
    PS. im not mocking, im asking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueillusion97 View Post
    Is there a reson why apples monitors are so expensive? and computers too..? Why?
    PS. im not mocking, im asking
    Some will say because they are "better"
    I say because "they can be" LOL

Lots of PC stuff (pre-built) get cutbacks from companies like AOL and norton anti-virus for preloading trials software on their OS. Apple doesn;t do this and, thus, production costs are higher since they are not offest by this preloaded "crap" I prefer the preloaded "crap" however because I just load a fresh install of windows... an hour-ish of my time save me a couple hundred bucks... well worth it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow, thats nuts. I will honestly laugh at anyone I see buying this in an apple store. I will take 900 dollars to bestbuy, walmart, circuit city and get a 42+ LCD TV or Plasma and set it on my desk before this junk.
    Really?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Dumb
    To everyone who says "I could get an HDTV for half the price! Anyone who buys this is crazy!"- You simply don't know what you are talking about. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Find me a 24", 1080p+ HDTV with an LED backlit S-IPS panel.... What? You can't? Of course not, there aren't any.

The reason these monitors are so expensive is because
    a)The LED backlighting is costly, but makes for a more evenly lit screen and possibly(depending on the tech) allows for better color accuracy.
    b)S-IPS 8-bit LCD panel allows for wider viewing angles and superior color rendition.
    Last edited by apw100; 10-14-2008 at 06:06 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apw100 View Post
    a)The LED backlighting is costly, but makes for a more evenly lit screen and possibly(depending on the tech) allows for better color accuracy.
    Ok if they wanted color accuracy, they would of done matte screens.

i think its a ripoff, since it only works on the "new" MacBooks and the price.................

disappointed for apple

apple to me, -1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For those who "can buy an HDTV" and so on.

Have a look at the price of other 24" LED backlit monitors,
    for example: HP LP2480zx or SAMSUNG XL24.

Btw, robgomz, gloss display is far better for accurate color display than the matte.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

It does look pretty neat, but it is disappointing that it is still priced significantly higher than other monitors. I can fully understand an extra 300 or so to account for the leds, isight camera, etc. But, considering that this monitor is 400-500 more expensive than the other lcd monitors on the market is still a bit disconcerting.

I do believe, though, that it is not so much that apple just feels like overcharging as it is that they can't resist putting every development they can come up with into the new monitors - no wonder they end up being expensive. Apple just isn't interested in making a stripped down 'affordable' version of the cinema displays - they have always been significantly more expensive, even back in the days of the ADC! 0.0

Also, I hope that the cinema displays come with some included adapters for the new display port. And speaking of ADC, does anyone else think that putting a proprietary display connector on their monitors is kind of a backwards step?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    For those who "can buy an HDTV" and so on.

Have a look at the price of other 24" LED backlit monitors,
    for example: HP LP2480zx or SAMSUNG XL24.

Btw, robgomz, gloss display is far better for accurate color display than the matte.
    anyone who buys one of those is also crazy or has far too much money.
    Really?

Thanks

wtf It's sooo freakin expensive!
    I rather buy a 32" LCD HDTV and hook it up to my computer with an adapter for that much money. just cuz it says "cinema" doesn't mean it's really anything special.

i'm happy with my 22" samsung LCD which I got for 180

Thanks
    Build Apple TV into the monitor and I'll consider buying it.
    no signature spam... Please