+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New MackBooks! Hello, Aluminum.

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple today released their new lineup of MacBooks - and they're aluminum. At the bottom of the lineup is the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz white MacBook, which is
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default New MackBooks! Hello, Aluminum.

Apple today released their new lineup of MacBooks - and they're aluminum. At the bottom of the lineup is the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz white MacBook, which is still polycarbonate (plastic ). The previous black MacBook pricepoint ($1299 and $1599) now have an aluminum MacBook (still 13.3 inches) with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz, respectively.

Both the upper models come with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card, which gives you a decent boost in graphics processing over the previous black MacBooks. Turns out that "brick" case rumor was true - the body of the MacBooks are formed from a single piece of aluminum.

The MacBooks will also now have the new glass MultiTouch trackpads which allow for gestures within apps, and also is the mouse button - so you just tap to click.

store.apple.com

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

The new Macbooks look nice but they are way too pricey. I really like the independent video card upgrade it's about time hopefully it's upgradable unlike the old macbooks.
    Last edited by imode; 10-14-2008 at 03:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wonder if we can upgrade the case on our plastic macbooks by ourselves

EDIT: negative
    Last edited by dazed87; 10-14-2008 at 02:34 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocchiararo's Avatar
    Thanks

$"$"$"$

why the heck did the use the retroiluminated kb only on the 1599 one ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why is it the 17" gets stuck with the inferior 8600M GT graphics card....??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any professional (myself included), would opt for the 17" for greater workspace to make room for menus and what not. That being said, why am I not able to include the new nVidia cards with the 17"... Just makes no sense at all...

Am I missing something? I sure hope so...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocchiararo's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that the 17 inches one was not refreshed yet.

thats why :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

great... my less than 4 months old blackbook is now obsolete. wonder if they take trade ins with my 3 year warranty. LOL!!

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rxmxsh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluaeon View Post
    great... my less than 4 months old blackbook is now obsolete. wonder if they take trade ins with my 3 year warranty. LOL!!
    lol - i can beat that! My last day to return mine was 11th (this past Saturday) on my blackbook. I bought mine knowing the refresh was coming. I wanted Black, not aluminum. Also, spec-wise our machines are still in line w/the MB and low end MBP...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

the $1600 version is the MBP weighing 1 pound less and a litt;e bit smaller screen... this is the one to get IMO... the base model is too much like the white one they still sell which is 400 bucks cheaper. Seems like a silly move to me... now I gotta decide whether I want the white one or if I want to fork out the 1600 bucks for the high-end version
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-14-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I guess they don't want students to buy this. Go figure. Would have really enjoyed a price drop below 1000 not an increase.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    I guess they don't want students to buy this. Go figure. Would have really enjoyed a price drop below 1000 not an increase.
    Well, they did drop the old model from 1100 to 1000... all of the sudden it's not enticing since there is something better on the horizon, huh?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, they did drop the old model from 1100 to 1000... all of the sudden it's not enticing since there is something better on the horizon, huh?
    Yeah that's a joke of price drop though. I don't understand why they choose not to be price competitive with Dell and other companies

Thanks

Yeah that's a joke of price drop though. I don't understand why they choose not to be price competitive with Dell and other companies
    Now, you know me, I am not an Apple advocate, BUT...

100 bucks drop is a 10% drop AND

They can;t compete with Dell and the other companies (unless you want them to preload a bunch of trial software and other such rubbish, which I would be fine with but most people would cry until the sun comes up)

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

nice
    love it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    the $1600 version is the MBP weighing 1 pound less and a litt;e bit smaller screen... this is the one to get IMO... the base model is too much like the white one they still sell which is 400 bucks cheaper. Seems like a silly move to me... now I gotta decide whether I want the white one or if I want to fork out the 1600 bucks for the high-end version
    The loaded MacBook is the base MacBook Pro minus the 1pound, 15.4" screen, video card, firewire 800 and ExpressCard/34. I think that should be all. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ahhh new macbook... Loving the new macbook, even though i havent bought one yet and most likely wont. The thing is for me, i would only consider buying the new 2.4ghz macbook and not the new 2.0ghz macbook... Since my old macbook right now is 2.4ghz with already 4 gigs of ram, buying the 2.0ghz will be no difference except for graphics card. And the fact that i can still sell mine for approximately retail price because the 2.1ghz old one they still have is still around 1000.

Only thing that is effy about this entire macbook thing is for one, the price is just ridiculous for a macbook. In canada here it is 1750 for the new 2.4ghz. For that price i would have just bought the macbook pro, but that also jumped in price. And also to mention, what the hell is up with the old 17inch macbook pro being more expensive then the new macbook 15.4inch. Like come on, id basically just buy the 15.4 cause is almost as good (if not better) then the 17 inch. If apple really wants to sell these, they will need to lower the price to what the original macbooks were...

Anyone can probably stick in new faster technology and increase the price, but to really sell, price needs to be a bitttttt more reasonable.

Until then, i will stick with my old 2.4ghz macbook 4 gig ram, that is faster then the new one and cheaper, except for graphics... But obviously, in a years time, i will end up buying it anyways

Thanks

An Apple computer is an APPLE computer because it doesn't have to compete with other manufacturers. The 'books and iMacs are in a class of their own, and that is why they are unique.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josephali View Post
    An Apple computer is an APPLE computer because it doesn't have to compete with other manufacturers. The 'books and iMacs are in a class of their own, and that is why they are unique.
    Oh you mean the class that makes up less than %15 of the PC market, even though the company has been around since the start?

I mean i am not trying to troll, but fact of the matter is, during a huge economic crisis and huge popularity of the iPhone due to the price drop. You would think Apple would follow suit with their computers.

Secondly, i hate when people try and put Apple on a pedestal. Look at BMW, Mercedes etc. Even they have cut their pricing down and have tried to make economical vehicles to compete with other automakers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drifterlu View Post
    Oh you mean the class that makes up less than %15 of the PC market, even though the company has been around since the start?
    Touche

Thanks

This doesnt look like dedicated graphic to me:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory...
    Copied from the spec on apple.com. I think its just that the chip is more powerful now!

I can get the 2.4ghz Macbook @ $1499 with student discount..

Take a look in the refurbished section. Refurbished 2.4ghz 200GB 15" Macbook pro (last model) with Multi-touch now only $1349... Wow.. I think Im gonna pick one up . Cheap and still beautiful to me..