Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nine Years Later Apple Dock Patent Secured

Hybrid View

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Nine Years Later Apple Dock Patent Secured

After a nine year wait the United States Trademark and Patent Office has awarded Apple Inc. with the patent for their dock. The dock was considered a revolutionary way to organize applications for quick access -- nine years ago. Now there are many other programs that mimic Apple's dock for other operating systems like Windows.

Better late than never. Apple is undoubtedly glad to have the dock patent under their belt. The patent which covers the magnification feature among other things. "Methods and systems for providing graphical user interfaces are described. To provide greater access and consolidation to frequently used items in the graphical user interface, a userbar is established which includes a plurality of item representations. To permit a greater number of items to reside in the userbar, a magnification function can be provided which magnifies items within the userbar when they are proximate the cursor associated with the graphical user interface."

What this means for other programs that provide dock functionality to Windows like Stardock and Rocktdock only time can tell. Apple does have a history of viciously protecting their intellectual property.

For more information concerning the details of the patent head over to uspto.gov.

[via slashdot]

Thanks

I wonder how long it will take for multi-touch on a mobile device
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you run a dock program on windows... go buy a Mac!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

*sigh* another newspost I've already read on slashdot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for multi-touch on a mobile device
    I'm pretty sure this is one of the 200+ patents apple filed before the first iPhone ever came out (they were mentioned in the jan 07 keynote). Someone would basically have to invent their own, somehow different method of multi-touch. Even though multi-touch was already being developed several years ago, and not by Apple...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

By the way Apple will probably have the company cease operation. They can;t do much about sales that have already happened. No big loss for the consumer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Wow 9 years? That's insane.

Reako

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

oh goodness..... Apple I am sure will go after these other companies...... that is probably a promise.... Apple didn't wait nine long years for nothing.....

Sniff, sniff...I love my ObjectDock!

Quote Originally Posted by Geekmommy4 View Post
    Sniff, sniff...I love my ObjectDock!
    Same. The people who already have it SHOULD be OK if they go after the people...

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

o no... now apple has some thing else to sue people over besides their logo and name

Thanks

Default wonder
    i remember is windows longhorn version has that dock thing almost equal as apples has.. in my opppinion it was more easy and with the possibility of manny apps inside....and with the option of custimize the icon inside but not quite sure what came first the egg of the chicken..

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    o no... now apple has some thing else to sue people over besides their logo and name

the name apple , its a nature cant be pattent the name... maybe the name of a X company but not the word...
    Last edited by HITCH; 10-08-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH View Post
    the name apple , its a nature cant be pattent the name... maybe the name of a X company but not the word...
    thank you for the correction. what i ment by name was the trouble mmi had with the iphone in the name

Let the lawsuits begin! (pulls up chair and eats popcorn)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nukie For This Useful Post:

WillyDavidK (10-09-2008)

What about the QuickLaunch bar on Windows circa Windows 98. With the exception of magnification, it pretty much does the same thing.

well, now apple has someone else to pick on lol
    Still though glad to see its secure with apple now

wow, i didnt even know that there was such a thing for windows user. haha

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

GO, APPLE GO! You got bit hard twenty something years ago for your graphical interface... Now is the time to bite EVERYONE for trying to cop yo stylo' (I dont actually talk like that, the ghetto just jumps up sometimes. Dont laugh I've seen movies about the ghetto. I KNOW! I KNOW about the skreets)
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

This reminded me of Yz'Dock.
    Which is already sued by Apple, but you can still download it from Google...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

good thing i have the brico pack install saved to my external for my girls PC.
    apple can suck an egg if they think their lawyers can make me remove it!

wow. i'm starting to get the feeling that apple is a little sue-happy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast