+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: And You Thought Our Legal Issues with Apple were Out of Hand

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Check out these poor folks. The Victoria School of Business and Technology in Vancouver has fallen in Apple legal's cross-hairs as the next target under the premise that their logo
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default And You Thought Our Legal Issues with Apple were Out of Hand

Check out these poor folks. The Victoria School of Business and Technology in Vancouver has fallen in Apple legal's cross-hairs as the next target under the premise that their logo is confusingly similar to Apple's logo.

The school's president, Dieter Gerhard, says that "Our logo is unique and distinguishable in numerous aspects from the Apple logo including the acronym 'VSBT' being part of our logo," and also goes further saying "Are you suggesting that anyone using any variation of an apple for technology education is infringing on Apple's trademark?"

Of course the claims from Apple lawyer Stephanie Vaccari are that the logo is "infringing Apple's rights," and also "falsely suggesting" Apple's approval over the design.

Here at MMi we have had our fair share of dealings with Apple Legal concerning trademarks. While we still contend that our previous uses of both iPhone and iFone do not violate US laws we just don't have the resources that Apple does to take issues to court. The result was MMi not changing names just once, but finally settling in a second change.

One of the main arguments from Apple legal with these kind of issues is that their consumers will be confused and think that other companies are Apple endorsed. In our case we don't believe we caused any confusion at all with out previous domain names. In the case of the Victoria School of Business and Technology are you joking Apple?

Is there this little faith in consumers by Apple? I'm sure all of you reading this post never thought that this site was endorsed by Apple. I sure hope that there is no one out there that would get confused by the school's logo. Get real.

edit: Oh yeah, by the way the school is a long time customer of Apple Inc. That's called customer appreciation.

[via macnn]

Thanks
    Seriously....that's stupid. The apple has been a symbol associated with school for eay longer than Apple computers existed. This is comparable to those Coke v. Coke Zero commercials.

iPhone? More like MyPhone saifeeab's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont understand what is apple trying to do. rather than trying ti win more customers apple is slowly turning out to be a bully. just shows how power and money changes anybody....cud u imagine apple doing this a decade back when they were on the road to extinction....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    edit: Oh yeah, by the way the school is a long time customer of Apple Inc. That's called customer appreciation.
    wow!

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

They're battling New York over the "Big Apple" issue as well.

Releaselog | RLSLOG.net Apple in dispute with New York over logo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

damn were all gonna be sued soon enough, for just eating apples.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sullivan0930 For This Useful Post:

bytebak (10-11-2008)

Thanks

lol I'm not even surprised. Appalling behaviour, but, what can we as consumers do about it? Nothing. The big companies know that, and they will take advangtage of it.
    I would love to see Jobs in an interview and hear him explain to the public the reasons for his company's attitude.
    Last edited by dale1v; 10-08-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 View Post
    damn were all gonna be sued soon enough, for just eating apples.
    LOL! ya sueing everyone with an apple logo... school teachers wont be able to put apples on their desk because its apple's symbol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seriously look at the 2 logos and tell me you don't think they copied apple, or at least were influenced by the apple logo

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does Apple think it's customers are that stupid that we'd mistake VSBT for Apple Corp?

Thats kinda insulting to owners of Apple products as well. I may sue Apple for classing me as dumb.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here's the real deal...
    The school advertises directly in conjunction with other technology/software companies which can be misconstrued to be Apple. Check out the picture from the Apple Insider: AppleInsider | Apple calls on lawyers in logo spat with Canadian school [updated]

As you can plainly see, there is an issue. Apple has worked for 30 years to establish their brand while the school can ride the coat tails of Apple after 3 years? That's not right. The logo is not different enough...

Thanks

Pretty soon we won't be able to buy apple fruit from the supermarkets !!!

Thanks

I'm going with Apple on this one. Same outline, same leaf pointing the same way. It's a copy, no matter what fiddly bits they try to add to it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

im going with nature on this one,and nature should sue Apple.Apple has copied Natures fruit and have used it to make profit over and over again.Apple has taken Natures creation,knocked it down from the tree and has left one leaf on it,prooving(sp?) where it came from.........Apple,get real!I mean what are they trying to do?Catch up to Bill Gates as far as money is concerned?There is a saying that goes:what do you here,you pay for it here........if and when Apple falls flat on their faces,I wonder whos going to be there(not many they havent p'd off) to help.

Apple,I oughtta kick you in the....leaf!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Well Apple ripped off mother nature. She better take them to court. (Damn that sounded much better in my head).

As for that "Big Apple" dispute... That's just ridiculous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gafu View Post
    im going with nature on this one,and nature should sue Apple.Apple has copied Natures fruit and have used it to make profit over and over again.Apple has taken Natures creation,knocked it down from the tree and has left one leaf on it,prooving(sp?) where it came from.........Apple,get real!I mean what are they trying to do?Catch up to Bill Gates as far as money is concerned?There is a saying that goes:what do you here,you pay for it here........if and when Apple falls flat on their faces,I wonder whos going to be there(not many they havent p'd off) to help.

Apple,I oughtta kick you in the....leaf!
    Going along with your silly interpretation, I don't believe Nature has registered their Apple as a trademark.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I'm going with Apple on this one. Same outline, same leaf pointing the same way. It's a copy, no matter what fiddly bits they try to add to it.
    it's a COMPLETLY different leaf..

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

How many different ways are there to draw an apple?! You can't change the shape much or then it doesn't resemble an apple. The contours are different and they removed the cut-out... changed the colors entirely. The only thing they could have done is make the leaf go the other way and possibly attach it. Someone draw that up real quick... lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple will soon start to self-destruct. Maybe not in the product offerings but in the manner they handle their business. Soon enough they will damage their image (the precious apple) enough that no-one will want to be associated. Keep it up Apple and see where it gets you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow....