Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: And You Thought Our Legal Issues with Apple were Out of Hand

Click on over to the school's website and vote your opinion on the matter

Victoria School

You can also view Apple's letter, the school's response and see example of other schools that use apples as their logos. Apple has their work cut out if they are going to sue them all.
    Last edited by Nukie; 10-08-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    They're battling New York over the "Big Apple" issue as well.

Releaselog | RLSLOG.net Apple in dispute with New York over logo
    Holy S#%& I thought you were kidding... this is sad (but really it makes me LMAO because it is just THAT rediculous)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
    Pretty soon we won't be able to buy apple fruit from the supermarkets !!!
    We'll still be able to buy them, but they will be called "The fruit formerly know as apple".

When does Johnny Appleseed get his cut?

On a more serious note... the background of the VSBT logo is silver which is in line with Apple's logo also the leaf points the same direction. The only striking differences are the addition of color and an ACRONYM. I think Apple has a case, being in the software business, VSBT's logo implies a relationship with Apple which they do not endorse.

Sure, the apple is a universal symbol but is most commonly red and also has a stem, so if VSBT wished to use an apple without copying Apple Inc. there are many other design directions that should have been examined.

Apple wins this one hands down.

Lol wtf, does apple have like a team that just looks for their trademark around the world or something? This is just getting out of hand, like wow it's a school... and the apple symbol is practically different too with different contour + no bite. One day they will probably sue an actual apple...

Apple needs to realize that sueing anything with an apple as a trademark isn't going to help their market / stock

Apple is a big company now, and they are sueing all the small individual and corporations? Give me a break. Learn from Microsoft on how they do business. You don't sue everyone just because you are rich, that makes me feels like Apple is just a kid that rant about everything to the teacher and mom.

Apple, you don't gain respect this way. After this I feel less support for Apple and i want them to go back to where they were. Because having a rich kid with power to sue all they want, is as dangerous as giving a nuclear remote control to an Ape.

I wish this site would have had the money to fight Apple, perhaps it would have put them in their place and prevented a lot of the other stupid legal action like this.

In addition, I would love to see someone take Apple to court over denying warranty service for "unauthorized third party software" being found on the phone. In just about everything that is out there, manufacturers are not allowed to deny warranty service just for the presence of non-oem parts/software for example a computer company can't deny a warranty claim just because you added a new OS or Blu-Ray drive after buying it. A car company cannot deny warranty service because you installed a non-oem battery or light bulb.

And if we could get California to pass that Cell Phone User's Bill of Rights that they were attempting to do that would make it illegal to sell a locked cell phone in California we would be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I'm going with Apple on this one. Same outline, same leaf pointing the same way. It's a copy, no matter what fiddly bits they try to add to it.
    really so any one that uses a apple well theres no bite out of the apple the proportions are completely diff i dont know how you can say that apple is right in any way on this. seriously its like Toyota telling ford they stole there symbol of the oval and just bc they have the same shape no matter what is on the inside they still are going to sue them

I understand it's the whole principle and all, taking what's not theirs and switching it up a bit to make it theirs but how as someone else said, how many ways are there to draw an apple? They took the notch out, that's good enough for me.

The whole "give your teacher an apple" goes hand-in-hand with education/school so it only makes sense for them to use an apple too.

Sure, they could've used a book, or a chaulkboard, or..... haha, whatever.

Is this why we all jailbreak our phones to "stand up to the man?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    it's a COMPLETLY different leaf..
    So if I made the wrench in the ModMyI logo hex shaped instead of rounded, does that make the logo completely different?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what a f'd up world we live in. its an apple for petes sake!!!!!!!!! apple you fail in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by mknapper1 View Post
    Seriously look at the 2 logos and tell me you don't think they copied apple, or at least were influenced by the apple logo

No, I think this is just totally stupid. If apple invented the "apple" then that would make sense, but an apple is a fruit that's been around a long time before computers.

That's like saying if I make a web site about weather and use a cloud in my logo I'm copying mobileme.

It's only so many ways you can draw an apple and you can't forgot that while apple is a company the actual fruit does exist. If the schools logo was influenced by the company apple then where did apple get it's design influence from?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alucardunit1 View Post
    really so any one that uses a apple well theres no bite out of the apple the proportions are completely diff i dont know how you can say that apple is right in any way on this. seriously its like Toyota telling ford they stole there symbol of the oval and just bc they have the same shape no matter what is on the inside they still are going to sue them
    You guys seem to be missing the point of a trademark. If that school logo even gives a hint, where you say to yourself, hey that looks like the Apple logo, then they are infringing on trademark copyright. Is there anyone here who can honestly say the logo has no similarities to Apple's?

Quote Originally Posted by mikenificent View Post
    No, I think this is just totally stupid. If apple invented the "apple" then that would make sense, but an apple is a fruit that's been around a long time before computers.
    This is getting laughable. This has nothing to do with an Apple. It has everything to do with, does their logo look similar to Apple's logo.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 10-08-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is getting laughable. This has nothing to do with an Apple. It has everything to do with, does their logo look similar to Apple's logo.
    And again the Apple logo is a logo of what?

Both logos look like apples as intended. Unless you're not drawing an apple I don't see how you can have two apples that are not similar.

Thanks

And again the Apple logo is a logo of what?

Both logos look like apples as intended. Unless you're not drawing an apple I don't see how you can have two apples that are not similar.

Here's a 20 second search of logo's. Do any of them look like Apple's logo?
    Last edited by Eurisko; 10-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.

you guys gotta remember, it does look like Apple is being a bully but under law you have to make a strong effort to protect your trademarks or they fall into public domain, like how people call any tissue a kleenex, or when they search the internet the google something.

Coporations have to maintain their effort to protect their marks so they dont get diluted and get released intot he public domain

On closer inspection of the photo on the school's website shows the front building with their logo splashed all over the windows with Adobe and Microsoft. What gets my attention is this:

"Not affiliated with Apple"

If you are advertising this next to your logo on your building, you are infringing on the copyright. You have already admitted that there is a close resemblance.

Apple has a strong case here...

Here's a 20 second search of logo's. Do any of them look like Apple's logo?
    They are not identical the same as the schools apple is not identical. What I said is you can not draw two apples that are not similar which you can't. I didn't say you can't draw two apples that are not identical.

From the shape of the bottom of the schools apple to the shape of the top of the schools apple, both are different then apples logo.

Personally that's why when making designs I start from scratch.

Thanks

They are not identical the same as the schools apple is not identical. What I said is you can not draw two apples that are not similar which you can't. I didn't say you can't draw two apples that are not identical.

From the shape of the bottom of the schools apple to the shape of the top of the schools apple, both are different then apples logo.

Personally that's why when making designs I start from scratch.
    You'd never be hired as a copyright lawyer. Nuff said

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

hey is that the new apple logo? is apple really serious? and i bet that school has had that logo longer than apple. technically the school should be suing them for copying their design because apple switched from the retro colored apple to this silver one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast