Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the "Brick" a Brick of Aluminum?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Is the "Brick" a Brick of Aluminum?

According to 9to5mac the rumored Apple "Brick" is just that. A brick. Well a brick of aluminum carved out into a pretty Macbook via a new Apple manufacturing process.

The rumor goes that instead of outsourcing Macbook production to China and Taiwan Apple will be starting up their own sophisticated manufacturing proess to carve Macbooks our of a solid peice of aluminum using lasers and high pressure jets of water.

Using this method is superior to the methods used to created Apple computers now and has some advantages.
    • Carving out of aluminum eliminates the need to bend the metal and create weak spots or microfolds and rifts.
    • There are no seams in the final product, so it is smooth.
    • Screws arenít needed to tie the products together.
    • The shell is one piece of metal so it is super light, super strong and super cheap.
    • You can be a whole lot more creative with the design if you don't have to machine it.

The new Macbooks still seem to be on track for October 14th so if you're on the edge of your seat waiting for one you only have a eight more days to go!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

enjoi4586 (10-06-2008)

great news!

How did you know I am sitting on the edge of my seat This is amazing technology, a big step forward. Can't wait to see this. I hope it will come out on 14th.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hm, I'm wondering if this would create a servicing nightmare. Sounds like Apple will be using a lot more tabs and adhesive to hold their laptops together :-/ If anyone has ever replaced an iPod battery, you know why this is concerning.

Anxious to see how this will all turn out.

how can this process lower the prices??

a block of aluminum the size of a macbook is worth like 1000$

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    how can this process lower the prices??

a block of aluminum the size of a macbook is worth like 1000$
    http://in.reuters.com/article/busine...35100720080820

Approximately $3000 a tonne does not equate to $1000 per macbook.

But I must say, I would much prefer Apple go about with an extruded aluminium process so that you get the structural integrity of a block through a shell, and obvious encapsulation of the electronics by slapping on some side panels on after. That sounds like a far cheaper process than machining of an aluminium block, taking into account waste and energy costs.

Regardless of what I think, I'm sure Apple's "Brick" isn't as straight forward as has been suggested. This is nice marketing fluff that makes the technical bits easier to digest.

Yay! Now apple is making it almost completely impossible to replace RAM or hard drives! I can't wait!

Rubbish, milling from a block of HE30 (Aluminium) would cost so much it would make this product cost 10 times what it cost now.

Please even dye casting is expensive but really - milling - NO WAY

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay! Now apple is making it almost completely impossible to replace RAM or hard drives! I can't wait!
    I'm sure they'll still have easy access to the RAM and harddrives.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Quote Originally Posted by bahgger View Post
    NALCO cuts aluminium prices by $91/tonne | Business News | Reuters

Approximately $3000 a tonne does not equate to $1000 per macbook.

But I must say, I would much prefer Apple go about with an extruded aluminium process so that you get the structural integrity of a block through a shell, and obvious encapsulation of the electronics by slapping on some side panels on after. That sounds like a far cheaper process than machining of an aluminium block, taking into account waste and energy costs.

Regardless of what I think, I'm sure Apple's "Brick" isn't as straight forward as has been suggested. This is nice marketing fluff that makes the technical bits easier to digest.
    yeah ur website doesnt work but im pretty sure aluminum cost wayy wayy wayy more than 3000$ a ton . maybe 3000$ a ton is really cheap aluminum not even completely processed

Your source being?

Even after processing aluminium to enable it to be cast as a block for further machining, you won't expect it to cost $1000 per MacBook. Put simply, your numbers don't make economical sense, and if Apple are doing what this article says, then they are doing it so that they can maintain their 50 odd percent profit margin on goods such as the iPod.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

We are also making the assumption here (when speaking of expenses) that the portion of aluminum removed is essentially flushed down the toilet. I am sure these portions are recycled and some money is recouped. Hell they may have the facilities to just reprocess the metal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    We are also making the assumption here (when speaking of expenses) that the portion of aluminum removed is essentially flushed down the toilet. I am sure these portions are recycled and some money is recouped. Hell they may have the facilities to just reprocess the metal.
    +1. otherwise waaaay too expensive.

lol phailed spelling

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It's not the cost of the waste aluminium but the cost of milling which is very expensive. Although the cost to reclaim and re-smelt the aluminium would also add to the cost.

Thanks

Which is why I'm thinking that the aluminium blocks would be just a little larger than macbook size, keeping wastage to an absolute minimum, saving money (I guess)
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

According to 9to5mac the rumored Apple "Brick" is just that. A brick. Well a brick of aluminum carved out into a pretty Macbook via a new Apple manufacturing process.

The rumor goes that instead of outsourcing Macbook production to China and Taiwan Apple will be starting up their own sophisticated manufacturing proess to carve Macbooks our of a solid peice of aluminum using lasers and high pressure jets of water.

Using this method is superior to the methods used to created Apple computers now and has some advantages.
    • Carving out of aluminum eliminates the need to bend the metal and create weak spots or microfolds and rifts.
    • There are no seams in the final product, so it is smooth.
    • Screws arenít needed to tie the products together.
    • The shell is one piece of metal so it is super light, super strong and super cheap.
    • You can be a whole lot more creative with the design if you don't have to machine it.

The new Macbooks still seem to be on track for October 14th so if you're on the edge of your seat waiting for one you only have a eight more days to go!
    I did a company tour about 3 years ago and watched a company manufacture aluminum laptop bodies for the military out of 7075 alum. There is a ton of waste but it is recouped.They use a machine that takes the scrap and compresses it to remove the cutting fluids and such from it and it makes a puck. This puck can then be recycled and it brings a pretty penny in this form.

I can say I don't think this is going to be economical in the long term but who am I to say... im only a engineer.