+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easily Turn Your PC into a Mac with EFiX USB Dongle

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For quite awhile now many people that have wanted to run OS X on their PCs have had to resort to creating a "hackintosh" like macciti did . While this
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Easily Turn Your PC into a Mac with EFiX USB Dongle

For quite awhile now many people that have wanted to run OS X on their PCs have had to resort to creating a "hackintosh" like macciti did. While this is a good free option for running OS X on your PC the EFiX Dongle makes the process freaking easy assuming your PC is running supported hardware.

Basically all you do is plug in and boot from the dongle and then install OS X from CD on the same hard drive as your 32 bit Windows Installation. It really couldn't be any easier. Better yet you also get great performance for your money compared to more expensive Apple Computers.

The Pros
    • Stupid Easy
    • Good Performance
    • Cheaper than an Apple Computer
    • You don't have to fear Apple Updates

The Cons
    • Limited Supported Hardware
    • A couple more minutes to boot
    • Costs $155
    • No support

If you have been thinking about putting OS X on your PC for awhile and don't mind spending $155 this could be a great option for you if you have the supported hardware. It will be exciting to watch and see how far the supported hardware list expands hopefully making switching to OS X easy for all computer setups.

For more information on Matt Buchanan's experiences using EFiX check out his post. If you want to grab your own EFiX Dongle here's where you can buy it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting, I feel silly not knowing much about mac after so many years of being a windows guru. Maybe this would be a good time to learn the mac os basics. I'm sure it wouldnt take long to get things working from what I read. It would also be nice to be able to quickpwn faster too when the apple only version comes out first like it did with 2.1 I'm going to check now to see if my asus quad core intel motherboard will work with this ok. Hmmmm only one mother board company supported, not sure it's worth buying something new and reinstalling everything just yet. I know vista is very flexible if I swap in a new motherboard though so maybe
    Last edited by JazJon; 09-18-2008 at 02:09 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

kalyway is just as easy. This definitely costs too much for minimum support and just taking advantage of a bios fix

Thanks

iAtkos... another way to do it.

Works great for me
    I have screwed up enough Motorola V series phones
    I guess I will give the ol' iphone a try

Thanks

i tried it with kalyway dvd before. the install worked fine but after the FIRST reboot after a successfull install the osx wont start anymore

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Leo4all is what i use, just as easy as installing Windows...

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

The Cons
    • Limited Supported Hardware
    • A couple more minutes to boot
    • Costs $155
    • No support
    Possibley a stupid question. Is the dongle 115 bucks or is the OS included. I guess the reason I am asking is would I have to shell out ANOTHER 115 bucks for a LEGIT copy of the OS, or is this dongle and legit single license of OS for 115 bucks. If it's the latter then I am in!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The title of this thread is a little misleading. Its easy to turn your PC into a Mac IF you have the supported hardware. And the list of supported hardware is VERY short. Check the list before you consider buying.

Also, keep in mind that there are freely available ways to perform this installation without buying this gadget.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Maybe A Dunmb ?
    I'm not too familiar with this type of hardware install... so my question is can it be done on a laptop? In the video he is connected to a mobo?

Thanks

How long before this gets cracked? 155 is way too much unless it includes mac os

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    is there any really good guides for installing mac os x 10.5.4-10.5.5 onto a dell xps m1210. ive looked over the net but all the information is all over the joint. anyone got it any sources which are really good and up to date?

thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Angry GREAT!! Why not 2 weeks early...
    Great!
    after i spend $1100 for the used Macbook Pro....
    and another $141 for the OSX 10.5.4...
    and gas money... so that I can use it...whenever there's update for
    the iphone....

Now they come out with this.....
    man.....
    so funny....
    :-(

Oh yeah...
    does anyone know if it works with
    Dell XPS M2010?
    it has a duo core....
    thnx
    god bless!

I might just do as someone here posted.....
    i go out and steal a next generation of Macbook that is coming out!
    and then pray for forgiveness...
    Last edited by koreanmasters99; 09-18-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    sziklassy // It would be around $150, and it's the dongle only

To all those people who using Kalyway, iAktos, etc... which are modified OS X DVD image, the benefit of this device is you don't have to worry about future update of the OS. There are another free way to install OS X which called "Boot 132". this is a new way that pre-loads drivers and faking kext files before booting so you can install with retail DVD disc. It might be complicated to set up right drivers for your hardware into USB or CD boot image though

The dongle is really handy way ( since it tells OS X that your machine is a Mac so you don't need any post-modification at all) but I guess the $115 is still too much. As long as the device works perfectly, $115 is quite reasonable price. However, what if Apple block this or invent new hardware recognization system... would they still support next launch of OS X ?? They're saying they would, but... who knows...

At the moment, boot 132 is the most effective and reliable way of installing OS X and it costs nothing still... pretty much

Thanks

actually im just about to install leo4all v4.1 which includes leopard os x (10.5.4) and if u guys need any info just go to www.insanelymac.com and hit the forums

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmasters99 View Post
    Great!
    after i spend $1100 for the used Macbook Pro....
    and another $141 for the OSX 10.5.4...
    and gas money... so that I can use it...whenever there's update for
    the iphone....

Now they come out with this.....
    man.....
    so funny....
    :-(

Oh yeah...
    does anyone know if it works with
    Dell XPS M2010?
    it has a duo core....
    thnx
    god bless!

I might just do as someone here posted.....
    i go out and steal a next generation of Macbook that is coming out!
    and then pray for forgiveness...

I hear ya! I too almost bought a mac till I found out a few days ago on here that you can run OS X on your PC (possibly!) so I decided to dwell into it.

It took me 2 all nighters which included extensive reading on insanelymac and others, tinkering with my bios to no end just to get the damn install DVD to even boot and messing with about 5 different vesions out there:

iKalyway's
    iDeneb's
    Leo4allv1
    Leo4allv3
    Leo4AMDv4

I FINALLY got it to work with iDeneb's version, ethernet, printing, USB, and sound drivers all working.

Still getting used to the interface, it's quite different. Not sure if I could ever leave windows for it (which is why I also created a dual boot system with this on my PC! ) Becareful if attempting this as you can screw up your MBR (like I did ) and not boot into anything anymore! I would highly suggest using a tool called "Ultimate Boot CD for windows" which uses your current windows installation CD (slipstreaming) to create a fully functional boot up disc that even when the **** hits the fan, you can boot with this, into a windows environment off the CD and provides you with plenty of tools to fix your computer.

Now if I could only find a video driver for my eGeforce 9600GT I would be set.

Anyone know if it's available?

Good Luck!

for reference my specs were:

Overclocked AMD X2 4800+ on an ASUS M3A32-MVP DLX
    SATA HD
    Last edited by Bouzo; 09-18-2008 at 11:04 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 9600GT too, I guess it's not a good idea to bother trying yet unless a driver is out that will work. Oh well. The only reason I'd want to play with mac os is to gain some basic experience with it, and have access to quickpwn in the future.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a nice option for those of you who do not have the time nor patience to do the extensive amount of research and reinstalls that CAN be necessary to get OSX to install on your PC.

Personally I have a Hackintosh set up using the DVD methods mentioned before (Leo4All, iAtkos, Kalyway etc etc.)

I would however like to remind people, that they will still require to purchase a copy of OSX, or "obtain" a copy. However, even if you legitamitely purchase a copy of OSX from Apple, you are violating the EULA by installing it on non Apple hardware.

I just thought I would mention it because many people who don't know much about this may think that buying the dongle and purchasing an OSX licence will give them a valid and supportable OSX based system, however it won't. Apple are very clear on the matter and don't take to kindly to installing OSX on non-OEM hardware.

I personally couldn't give a rats *** what you do, I just thought that for the general public, I would make you aware of the technicalities.
    Life is long, but in the end, the journey is the destination.
    DH Lawrence.

My Blog - HERE
    *NEW* iDesign Studio - 300+ "Realized" Icons + Loads of Other Custom Grphics - HERE

PM me if you need Web/Image/File Hosting!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I have a 9600GT too, I guess it's not a good idea to bother trying yet unless a driver is out that will work. Oh well. The only reason I'd want to play with mac os is to gain some basic experience with it, and have access to quickpwn in the future.
    Just to clarify, you can still run it without the driver. There are generic drivers included with these installs and mine runs absolutely fine without the specific driver for the 9600GT.

The advantage to the specific driver obviously would be better performance or resolutions for more intense video usage (games I guess) but otherwise my OS X runs in full, vibrant, resolution. As you stated, my main goal was just to learn how to do basic things with OS X, and also do quickpwn as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to clarify to everyone the reason this cost $155 is because of the hardware the dongle has a chip that emulates the EFi boot loader :/

Thanks

Thanks or the info. I was about to ask this question.
    How easy is it for Apple to find out if you do/don't have OEM software? Also, how likely is it for that to happen?
    Not that I'm trying to justify this, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rnksols View Post
    This is a nice option for those of you who do not have the time nor patience to do the extensive amount of research and reinstalls that CAN be necessary to get OSX to install on your PC.

Personally I have a Hackintosh set up using the DVD methods mentioned before (Leo4All, iAtkos, Kalyway etc etc.)

I would however like to remind people, that they will still require to purchase a copy of OSX, or "obtain" a copy. However, even if you legitamitely purchase a copy of OSX from Apple, you are violating the EULA by installing it on non Apple hardware.

I just thought I would mention it because many people who don't know much about this may think that buying the dongle and purchasing an OSX licence will give them a valid and supportable OSX based system, however it won't. Apple are very clear on the matter and don't take to kindly to installing OSX on non-OEM hardware.

I personally couldn't give a rats *** what you do, I just thought that for the general public, I would make you aware of the technicalities.
    wwjd