+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Mini or continue with MBP 1,1?

is a discussion within the

Mac mini

forums, a part of the

Desktops

section;
Hi there guys, I've already posted a question regarding making remote connections to a Mac Mini from an iPad, but I'd like to hear opinions from the members of this
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Mac Mini or continue with MBP 1,1?
    Hi there guys, I've already posted a question regarding making remote connections to a Mac Mini from an iPad, but I'd like to hear opinions from the members of this group.

I currently have an MBP 1,1 but I've realized I use it mainly for downloading songs, torrents and surf the web.
    Unfortunately, this laptop can't be upgraded from Snow Leopard, so I was thinking on changing to a Mac Mini for the same stuff, synchronization with iCloud and merging apps for subs and videos.

I saw the Mac Mini MC815LL and I think that can do the work (obviously maybe also it might need a RAM increase hehehe), what do you think?

Also, do I need indeed a keyboard and mouse after the setup is being done? Since I was thinking on maybe working with the Mac Mini and remote to it using the iPad hehe.

Thanks for your inputs guys!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

I assume you're referring to this model:
    2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory
    500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Mac OS X v10.7 Lion

RAM is cheap and is worth the upgrade. It's very easy to install too. The hard drive is slow, so that will effect your speed somewhat. But for torrenting (I use Transmission), iTunes, and web surfing, this would be great! If you have a TV with HDMI you can hook it up as a media server too. If you did that, a keyboard and mouse is a must.

All the Mac Mini servers I install are headless, so no monitor, keyboard or mouse and I control them via Apple Remote Desktop. So, remote control does work.

This will be such a massive upgrade for you! You will also get a free upgrade to Mountain Lion (limited time offer).
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

haseo00 (08-04-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok....by any chance you work for Apple? hahaha, you got me!!!!!!

Definitely I'll have to make that upgrade hehehe.

Thanks for ur help!! =D

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha. No, I don't work for Apple. I'm an independent network consultant, but I support a large Apple product base. I hate having to support Windows!

Glad you are getting a new Mac! It's a great experience. And, you be blown away by the speed improvement!
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!