+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac mini RAM questions

is a discussion within the

Mac mini

forums, a part of the

Desktops

section;
Hey so I was just looking at the mac mini and saw that it had very low ram. I can easily add some but before i do that i have
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Mac mini RAM questions
    Hey so I was just looking at the mac mini and saw that it had very low ram. I can easily add some but before i do that i have a few questions. First, does the mac mini use laptop or desktop memory. I would assume desktop but someone told me it was laptop memory.
    Second, i know apple claims it can read 4gbs i think but how much does the computer actually read? Someone on a different forum told me it could read 16gbs but I want to confirm this.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

According to MacTracker in the AppStore for macs it says the current model(2011) can take a max of 16gigs while apple only supports up to 8gigs
    The reason behind this I think is that if u pay the extra for the 3 year warranty then apple has to buy you new ram when it goes bad in about 1-2 years so they don't want to support it
    It's a lot cheaper to buy the ram from a store(not apple) and install it yourself

Apple wanted like $240 to install 8gb ram into my Mac I went and bought the same thing at Frys.com for a total of about $100

Go to Crucial.com to find out what kind of ram it will take

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

For your second question:

I found this (Note these are for the mid-2011 i5 models I looked up)

Standard RAM: 2 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB*
    Details: By default, 2 GB is installed as two 1 GB modules.

*Officially, this model supports 8 GB of RAM, but as first discovered by OWC, it actually is capable of supporting 16 GB of RAM using two 8 GB modules.
    Cruical says the same thing.
    Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 16GB
    Slots: 2
    Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800 with a maximum of 16GB kit (8GBx2) per slot.*
    *Not to exceed manufacturer
    Source: Computer memory upgrades for Apple Mac mini (Intel Core i5 2.3Ghz) DDR3 - Mid 2011 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

Source: Mac mini "Core i5" 2.3 (Mid-2011) Specs (Mid-2011, MC815LL/A, Macmini5,1, A1347, 2442) @ EveryMac.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sweet! Thank you guys but I do have one more easy question that was not answered yet. Is it laptop or desktop memory?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pecans View Post
    Sweet! Thank you guys but I do have one more easy question that was not answered yet. Is it laptop or desktop memory?
    No clue without seeing the device but most likely it is laptop ram cause the thing is so small, laptop ram costs more then desktop ram

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pecans View Post
    Hey so I was just looking at the mac mini and saw that it had very low ram. I can easily add some but before i do that i have a few questions. First, does the mac mini use laptop or desktop memory. I would assume desktop but someone told me it was laptop memory.
    SODIMM (e.g. laptop sized modules)

Second, i know apple claims it can read 4gbs i think but how much does the computer actually read? Someone on a different forum told me it could read 16gbs but I want to confirm this.
    Depends on which model of mini, and which generation.
    If it's the latest, (brand new) cer0 would be correct.
    Officially 8, but 16 if you're lucky.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Herp-derp! Thank you lol :P wasn't thinking apparently.