Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Value for $

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Value for $
    Hey guys...my little nephew just started first grade and I wanted to get him a basic machine that he can add on to as he grows. I figured that I would start him off with an apple because...well...that's obvious...but right now I can't decide whether I should get him a new mac mini or a more powerful used machine like an iMac off of ebay. Basically anything in the $700-800 price range. For right now all I want is something that is 1) easy to use (all macs) 2) expandable 3) nothing too outdated. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd go the route of the used machine. Why?

1. He's a kid.
    2. Save $.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I don't think there is a huge price difference. The only real issue was that the iMac would probably be maxed out whereas the mini has room to grow. I'll look at a few things and update with my decision.

Yea I would go with the Mac Mini. I know people dont think too highly of them, but if you get him the higher end one (I think it has 2.0 ghz instead of like 1.8 or something) its a great little machine. I have one thats all stock and nothing else.

And it might be a pain, but If he really wanted to upgrade it there are tutorials and guides on opening it up and installing more RAM (You can get up to 3gb, it comes with 1gb), removing the old/installing a bigger hard drive, possibly upgrading the disk drive?(I'm not sure about that one, but I burn CDs and DVDs all the time and it works great and fast). I think you can, with the help of a lot of tools/expertise, take out the old processor and install one that is liek 2.33 ghz or something if he wanted even more speed.

But I run a chat client, iTunes, email, Safari, and a downloading program that gets me music all at once and I haven't noticed any lag or slowness or anything. I LOVE my mac mini, and I'm sure he would too

An iMac is a good choice too, but they are more expensive, and a used or new mac mini would be a lot cheaper, but its up to you. Glad to help! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or reply on here
    i LOVE apple.