+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMac Windows Experience Index

is a discussion within the

Mac Gaming

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
Anybody have Windows 7/Vista on a partition on their iMac? I'm thinking of replacing my PC with one (my macbook pro is awesome), and now that Steam has reached Mac,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iMac Windows Experience Index
    Anybody have Windows 7/Vista on a partition on their iMac?

I'm thinking of replacing my PC with one (my macbook pro is awesome), and now that Steam has reached Mac, I'm being pushed towards leaving Windows in place for a Mac.

However; I love PC games, especially half life 2 and gmod, and stuff like that.

Basically, I'm not to knowledgable about what makes for good gaming hardware, and I like to judge PC's by the Windows Experience Index, and was wondering what to expect from a mid range mac, running Windows 7 under bootcamp in terms of gaming.

I've got a lot of games on steam that aren't out on mac (yet) and I'd like to still play them with some good graphics.

Thanks!

Thanks

To have good gaming on a computer, you need a good graphics card since most games now dependent on it. RAM and processor is necessary, but games need more GPU (graphics processing units) to run smoothly. More graphics cards gets you more GPU.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have my 24" iMac partitioned with 50gb for windows 7 home, I have steam installed and modern warfare 2 and battlefield bad company 2, they run just like if not better than my gaming Pc which has 2x geforce 8800gtxs installed. My iMac is Late 2008.

Only downside with gaming on the mac is - the mac gets quite HOT!!! I have a widget always on showing me heat percentage, gets to like 85%... but the games run so good in my opinion. Black Ops is my next buy.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am about to run OSX on my HP laptop to see what all the hype is about. I am going that route simply because I refuse to pay Apple's higher hardware prices for inferior performance. I am going to run it virtually first and if I can get past their bland looking OS I will install it on a partition. Whether you are on a P.C. Or a Mac video game requirements are still the same: a combination of multicore processors, RAM, and a discrete(I assume macs have discrete) graphics card will ensure max framerate/higher quality when running your games. Do not buy extra RAM directly from Apple. You can buy it for much less from places like Newegg and Tigerdirect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftygb View Post
    I have my 24" iMac partitioned with 50gb for windows 7 home, I have steam installed and modern warfare 2 and battlefield bad company 2, they run just like if not better than my gaming Pc which has 2x geforce 8800gtxs installed. My iMac is Late 2008.

Only downside with gaming on the mac is - the mac gets quite HOT!!! I have a widget always on showing me heat percentage, gets to like 85%... but the games run so good in my opinion. Black Ops is my next buy.
    It's normal. Possibly due to intense activity of the processor and/or graphics card.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

My HP gets super hot too. It says it is within specs, but when I am gaming the 8 cores are sizzling away. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to cool them due to their placement in the computer without fabricating something myself.