+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ios backup help onto external hard drive

is a discussion within the

Mac Accessories

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
hey u guys, before u all tell me to "try search" i already did. got one result and NOTHING. anyways with that said heres what i am trying to do.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default ios backup help onto external hard drive
    hey u guys, before u all tell me to "try search" i already did. got one result and NOTHING. anyways with that said heres what i am trying to do.

i have a PowerBook G4 ComboDrive, running leopard 1GB of ramm, 60GB internal HD and 1.5TB external HD. what i am trying to achieve is that on my old but yet reliable G4 powerbook, is that any ios backups takes up ALOT of space. i have an ipad2 and an iphone4. my question is, is there any way where i can sync my i-devices where the backups are stored on the external HD. i dont care if i have transfer my whole library to the external. i just want to keep my stuff updated.

i appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks
    This is possible, however you do have to move your entire library. Go into /users/yourusername/Music and take the folder iTunes and move it to your external drive. Once copying is complete quit iTunes and launch it from the dock while holding down the option key. Doing so will bring up a menu asking if you want to create a new library or you may choose to point it to a different one. Select the option to locate your library which should now be copied to your external drive. Navigate to /Volumes/VolumeName/ and just choose the iTunes folder.

From this point forward as long as that external drive is plugged in, it will automatically launch to that library. If the drive is not plugged in you will be prompted to create a new library or locate an existing one.

Hope this helps!