Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best HDTV solution?

Default Best HDTV solution?
    Hello all, I have a 40" Toshiba LCD 1080p TV (not the best TV out there, but it has a very nice resolution) and I wanted to watch my videos and listen to music through it. So I thought about getting one of those DisplayPort to HDMI adapters, but I've heard that people have a lot of problems with those. I was also looking at the AppleTV (with AirFlick on my iMac to watch ALL of my .avi and .mkv videos) but I don't know if it'd be worth it. I have a huge collection of movies and tv shows, so which one of these options would be better? Or if there are other options out there...? Thanks in advance!
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

AppleTV option would be better if you can jailbreak it. If you can jailbreak it then you could install Plex or XBMC to stream videos from your Mac.

I've been reading a lot about Apple TV jailbreaking in the past few days, and as far as I can see, iOS 4.2.1 is not easy to break on it. I think I'll go to a local shop near where live that may have some of them with iOS 4.0/1, since they don't sell them too often. My next purchase will be an Airport Extreme Base Station, but at the moment I can only afford one of the two. So, I guess I'll go for the Apple TV now. Thank you you for your reply.

Ok, I stumbled upon a few forums/threads with people whining about how hard it is to stream videos to the Apple TV on XBMC, is this true? To be honest I haven't really found specific info about doing so; just the bizarrely ambiguous XBMC online manual. Any help? I'm thinking of getting the AppleTV tomorrow.
    Last edited by iTouch-Warrior; 02-01-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have installed XBMC on my AppleTV but have not set it up yet. I used Plex and that worked great for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Plex works well for me

Thanks. I guess I have to take it step by step: first, I need to see which iOS my ATV has, then I'll worry about everything else. As far as I've read, XBMC is great but hard to setup; NitoTV is useful for lots of things (but some people claim it is not 100% compatible with ATV2); and Plex is easy to setup.
    Sadly, real-life hit me last night and the few bucks I had stashed away for the ATV have other purpose now, so I'll have to wait a little bit longer. .