+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wireless Router with USB Support

is a discussion within the

Mac Accessories

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Hi all, I was just wondering if plugging a HD enclosure via USB into an AirPort Express would make it available on the network? I have the enclosure sitting on
    iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wireless Router with USB Support
    Hi all, I was just wondering if plugging a HD enclosure via USB into an AirPort Express would make it available on the network? I have the enclosure sitting on my desk now, but since I have a MacBook, whenever I need to make a backup of my HD I have to take my laptop over there. Also, it kind of restricts backup access to just my MacBook, instead of everyone in the houses' computers as well. Thanks!

I've done a bit of digging and it seems this is not possible. Apperently, it can only be done with the AirPort Extreme, not Express. So, since I don't want to dish out the cash for an Extreme, and DEFINITELY not for a Time Capsule, does anyone know of a wireless router with USB support for hard drives, under $100? Or would I just be better off buying a refurb Extreme?
    Last edited by staterunner180; 01-16-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as i know cant do it with the express only the extreme which you already know but i have tried many a time

Thanks

How about this: is there any way I could plug my external USB hard drive into a Windows machine and make it accessible from my Mac? Ideally, the hard drive would be read-only, or even locked on the Windows machine, therefore only accessible from my Mac, but this isn't a requirement. I just want to be able to access my hard drive from the network, so I don't have to go to my desk every time I need a file off the hard drive, or need to back up.

Anyone?
    Last edited by staterunner180; 01-18-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Twitter It Up!!

Thanks

Well, I figured out what I had to do. I just dusted off one of my old Windows XP boxes, and hooked that bad boy back up, and plugged my external hard drive right into that. Then, I took one of our old wireless routers, and ran an ethernet cable down to my room and plugged that in, so I have my own private sub-group of internet devices on a separate IP address ensuring that no one else can get to my files.

Then an ethernet to the router, and my Mac on wireless and I finally got to the easy part. I just enable network sharing and SMB on my Mac, and made the hard drive a network drive on XP. Then while Finder is pulled up, I went to Go>Connect to Server, and got right into my computer, no problem. All my music, movies and pictures and transferring now

Twitter It Up!!