+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best HDD for Time Machine?...

is a discussion within the

Mac Accessories

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On Monday, I'll get my new iMac, which I've been waiting eagerly to buy for about 2 years and one of the features I like the most is Time Machine
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Best HDD for Time Machine?...
    On Monday, I'll get my new iMac, which I've been waiting eagerly to buy for about 2 years and one of the features I like the most is Time Machine (I always manage to delete files by mistake...) Anyway, I have an external Western Digital 500GB drive, but my iMac comes with a 1TB drive, and I have around 450GB of data, not counting the space Mac OS X and its applications take...

So I was wondering, would that be sufficient?...Or will I need a bigger drive?...

Thanks in advance!
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,146 Posts

I estimate that you would get about 30 days of data saved. That isnt very long, but better than nothing. The question I have is: how far back do you want your time machine to go? I've got a little over 6 months on mine, but have never needed to recover anything older then 2 weeks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, I guess 30 days would be enough...although 6 months sound a whole lot better. I've never owned a Mac before, so all of this is very new to me. I've been repairing computers for over 12 years, and Windows and Linux were all I ever used until OS X came out. I fell in live with it the first time I used it...