Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple wired keyboard on XP?

Default Apple wired keyboard on XP?
    Hey ppl, first of all i know this is probably not the best place to post this new thread but i think it is the most appropriate for my question. I want to buy an apple wired keyboard, the new model and i was wondering if i can get all the commands on XP. For example does ALT or windows key work or is there any way that i can configure the keyboard keys. I noticed that there are no F1 to F12 keys, instead there are other keys with other functions. Is there any way that i can change the function of some keys so that they execute commands in XP like a regular keyboard. Is there a program that does this? if so could you pls tel me the name of it. At this point there is no way i can afford a mac pc and the only thing i want is the keyboard. So the my final question is : can i use the apple wired keyboard on XP like a regular keyboard with all the proper functions that a normal keyboard has? Ty in advance.

LE: 98 views but no reply. Could it be because nobody knows the answer or because it can't be done?
    Last edited by Scovik; 09-12-2009 at 12:47 AM.

I recommend you get a keyboard made for the PC.

I could be wrong, and haven't really tried this, so don't take my 100% word for it.

But knowing the way apple works, the keyboard most likely isn't going to work. The regular letters will probably work, but all the important keys like the f1-f12 keys, the windows key, etc.) will most likely not.

If you, or one of your friends has a PC laptop, you can take it to a local apple store, and i'm sure one of them would be more than welcome to plug in a keyboard they have laying around, just to see how it would react.

I'm sorry if this was a waste of your time, alot of people probably looked at this thread, and just payed it no mind. Although i didn't have an exact answer, thats my 2 cents.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

It won't work on a PC.

It works fine. Thsoe guys have no idea what they're talking about. I'm using one right now on my XP Pro desktop. And i love it, by the way. I lve laptop keybaords and this one takes the cake.

The Windows and Alt keys (labeled Command and Option) had to be switched to reflect a typical PC keyboard using a free, super-easy program called "Sharpkeys". I ended up swapping 6 keys. Some of the Apple layout i actually prefer.

I didn't need any drivers or ANY type of mod.

My only gripe it that the USB ports on it don't even get enough power to run my USB stick. But when i bought it, i didn't knwo about those ports, so no real loss. Oh,and i foudn it a little TOO low at the edge closest to me, so i put larger feet on it.

So YES, it works on natively on XP and Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by jesushumper View Post
    It works fine. Thsoe guys have no idea what they're talking about. I'm using one right now on my XP Pro desktop. And i love it, by the way. I lve laptop keybaords and this one takes the cake.

The Windows and Alt keys (labeled Command and Option) had to be switched to reflect a typical PC keyboard using a free, super-easy program called "Sharpkeys". I ended up swapping 6 keys. Some of the Apple layout i actually prefer.

I didn't need any drivers or ANY type of mod.

My only gripe it that the USB ports on it don't even get enough power to run my USB stick. But when i bought it, i didn't knwo about those ports, so no real loss. Oh,and i foudn it a little TOO low at the edge closest to me, so i put larger feet on it.

So YES, it works on natively on XP and Windows 7.
    Those ports are only for a mouse

And BTW it works fine on windows... Dont post what you dont know.

I have it too.. on Windows 7, but the music controls etc. Won't work. How do I fix that? With the OSX Leopard CD that comes with my Macbook?