+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Control ipod touch through pc *broken digitizer*

is a discussion within the

Linux on the iPod

forums, a part of the

iPod Mods

section;
I have an ipod touch 2 ruuning 4.2.1 that has a broken screen, digitizer and led. The OS still works perfectly, and I would like to use it for other
    iPhone? More like MyPhone oldskoolkid13's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Control ipod touch through pc *broken digitizer*
    I have an ipod touch 2 ruuning 4.2.1 that has a broken screen, digitizer and led. The OS still works perfectly, and I would like to use it for other purposes by controlling it through my pc. I have jailbroken it, and have root filesystem access through usb BUT no way to enter my wifi credentials. Also I tried VNC through the usb cable but I have no way to unlock and click accept.... I have been trying many things but no luck =/ does anyone have any ideas that can help me??

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!

Thanks
    Hey there

You could do it if by chance you have Veency installed on your iPod. That is the only way that i know of. If you can get Veency on your iPod then you can control it through a pc using TightVNC on your computer. If you don't i'm sorry to tell you that there is no way to as far as i know
    Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnp27 View Post
    Hey there

You could do it if by chance you have Veency installed on your iPod. That is the only way that i know of. If you can get Veency on your iPod then you can control it through a pc using TightVNC on your computer. If you don't i'm sorry to tell you that there is no way to as far as i know
    Good luck!
    The OP already tried that.
    If Springboard is locked, you can't run Veency or anything else that uses a GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolkid13 View Post
    I have been trying many things but no luck =/ does anyone have any ideas that can help me??
    This rather sucks.

Do you have any display on the screen at all?
    Do the hardware buttons still work?

there's a Cydia tweak called "nolockscreen"
    that will let you unlock by pressing the Home button (without digitizer input)

If you can install it (if it's compatible with your OS version) you may still need to update the preferences plist to enable, as its normally enabled/disabled through the Settings app. You should also be able to update WiFi profiles through plists- but the easiest way would be to copy a working config from another running iOS device. Do this- and then Veency should run, and then you can use an RFB client from your PC to "control the iPod".

It should also be possible to use RFB/VNC over USB alone, if you redirect local ports on your PC.

Its not impossible, but may be more trouble than its all worth.
    If your home button is broke too, you're probably out of luck.

Good Luck
    Last edited by raduga; 09-29-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    The OP already tried that.
    If Springboard is locked, you can't run Veency or anything else that uses a GUI.

This rather sucks.

Do you have any display on the screen at all?
    Do the hardware buttons still work?

there's a Cydia tweak called "nolockscreen"
    that will let you unlock by pressing the Home button (without digitizer input)

If you can install it (if it's compatible with your OS version) you may still need to update the preferences plist to enable, as its normally enabled/disabled through the Settings app. You should also be able to update WiFi profiles through plists- but the easiest way would be to copy a working config from another running iOS device. Do this- and then Veency should run, and then you can use an RFB client from your PC to "control the iPod".

It should also be possible to use RFB/VNC over USB alone, if you redirect local ports on your PC.

Its not impossible, but may be more trouble than its all worth.
    If your home button is broke too, you're probably out of luck.

Good Luck

He added those details after i posted i believe. I would not have suggested something he had already tried