Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cross platform Mac/XP Networking

Thanks

Default Cross platform Mac/XP Networking
    I am the proud new owner of a white Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 Gb RAM, running Leopard 10.5.5.

Ive been attempting to successfully network with the other 5 Windows PC's on my home network. Ive been Google-ing since 7:15 AM (now 3:30 PM) and have given myself a migraine.

I can access the Windows shared files from the mac, but not the other way around. I can "see" the Macbook, but I get a message telling me I do not have permission to access the files.

I have gone through every step by step guide I can lay my hands on via the internet with no luck. Ive enabled smb file sharing, enabled the guest account, checked my firewall settings.

My feeling is that I still have file ownership and permissions isues caused by the fact that I changed teh computer name and the user names when I received it. The previous owner had everything named wit his name, and did not include OS install disks. I was able to get all the installed software (Office 2008, Adobe Photoshop, etc...) to work under the new account name. This is the final piece of the puzzle. and I give up! I tried SCP, FTP, SFTP, nothing, I made sure the workgroup name is correct.

The only thing is that I havent logged on via terminal as root and attempted to change ownership/ permissions on the Macbook.

I also want to see if I can logon from one of the other XP machines or the Vista boxes in teh network.

This is driving me nuts since i can usually figure this stuff out.

Solved:
    The reason nothing I was finding online was working is that this was not a standard Leopard install apparently. The PO was using Macports and while i'm still not a mac expert, some of the terminal commands did not function, even using the 'sudo" command. While I thought I had the root account enabled, I dont think it was. Even though I was logged on as an administrative user, I was still locked out of a lot of things. Not wondering if changing the computer name had anyhting to do with this. Still Didt want to walk around with a laptop with some body elses name all over it.

In investigating the problem with the network, l discovered that I could not even ping the macbook from its own router, even though I had the firewall to accept all connections. Afte nessing with the router with no luck, I went out and bought an OS X install disk. Wiped and reinstalled teh OS. Immediately found my network with connectivity both ways.

I was a bit disappointed at losing all the installed programs, not wanting to spend hundreds of $$$ on software. but I really only need MS office and maybe a photo editor other than the standard OS X apps on this macbook (for now). I happened to have one install left on a Windows MS office 2007 Student/Home edition so I picked up Crossover Mac. Office runs fine except I cant print from within Crossover yet. Paint Shop Pro installs but crashes on start , but its unsupported.
    Last edited by bhz1; 11-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.