Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Often Do You Have To Reboot Your Mac? (Beach Ball)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savon View Post
    "tattoojack": No your not weird.. prob smarter than the rest of us for leaving ours on... haha

"theetoothfairy": I have a power book g4, macbook pro, and macPRO - and hardly ever have to reboot any of them. A mac genius gave me some good advice one time though. I had asked him how often should I shut down the computer (as opposed to just putting it to sleep) and he said at least once (or more) a week. And also, if your not going to be on it for 48 hrs suggested to turn it off as well.

Lastly, something that might help (besides running disc warrior pro or repairing disc permissions under your disc utilities, etc...) is to "Boot in Safe Mode" once a month. You do this by holding down the "shift" button during bootup (the whole time). Then just restart after its finished loading/mounting... This helps clean up certain things "under the hood" and can help prevent in "freez ups" thus not having to reboot as much.

Hope this helps!
    Great information... thanks for sharing it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by savon View Post
    This helps clean up certain things "under the hood" and can help prevent in "freez ups"
    if you know.. what does it "clean up"?
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

Thanks

The only times when I have to hard reboot it, is when Photoshop maxes out all 4 GB of my RAM (when I'm working with images about 10,000 pix by 10,000 ) , and when I run out of disk space, literally. I've had 0 kB of space before, Finder starts killing itself and other applications because there isn't even enough space to keep the apps running. I guess it's the price I have to pay for being a hardcore computer user with a 2nd generation, stock MacBook (with the exeption of extra RAM)
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    The only times when I have to hard reboot it, is when Photoshop maxes out all 4 GB of my RAM (when I'm working with images about 10,000 pix by 10,000 ) , and when I run out of disk space, literally. I've had 0 kB of space before, Finder starts killing itself and other applications because there isn't even enough space to keep the apps running. I guess it's the price I have to pay for being a hardcore computer user with a 2nd generation, stock MacBook (with the exeption of extra RAM)
    im in the same boat. same macbook, 4gb of ram as well. sometimes ill have PS and Illustrator open and my macbook cries bloody murder. i try to just close everything else before opening my graphics apps or else its not fun to do anything. i need to build a desktop soon, something that will run os x, of course :P

The computer would be happier if you didn't turn it on and off every day. The computer itself has nothing to wear out and sleep mode is very energy efficient. The switching powersupply however can wear out and power on and off is when the power components are under the most stress. It also uses the HD a good bit on boot which leads to its wear and uses a decent bit of energy.

I reboot about once a week or so, but my MBP is on pretty much 24/7/365

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    am i weird because i turn mine off when i sleep or go to work?
    I laughed when I saw you're post, I ask the same question, when I'm not using it for 20 minutes plus I shut it off, that's partially why I switched over from Windows, faster boot up and shut down times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12