+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 21- Can't restore iphone 4 after updating software

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
My iPhone 4 was running on 4.2.1 and was jailbroken through redsn0w, and it was glitching a ton and not allowing me to download ********** 5. So I backed up
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Error 21- Can't restore iphone 4 after updating software
    My iPhone 4 was running on 4.2.1 and was jailbroken through redsn0w, and it was glitching a ton and not allowing me to download ********** 5. So I backed up on iTunes and downloaded the software for 5.0.1 and attempted to restore my iPhone. It starts to extract software and then pops up with an error message (21) and won't allow me to restore my phone. It's stuck on the connect to iTunes screen... I would try DFU mode, but zinger--- my home button isn't working and I've been using the accessibility home button to use my iphone for the past couple of weeks. At this point I really don't know what to do, if I take it into Apple won't they know it was jailbroken once they get it up and running? Will they do anything for my stuck home button? I'm a noob at all of this, sorry if I sound completely lost-- I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,621 Times in 5,899 Posts

Welcome to MMi. I must say that it may be to your benefit to get rid of all the warez and pirate repos as we do not support or help with those issues or do we promote them.
    A fresh restore and removing all warez will certainly cure all issues.

Error 21;

Custom firmware restore fail (PwnageTool since 4.1). You have to put your device into the DFU mode and not into recovery mode. Device won't boot correctly an stuck at the Apple logo after the error. Press and hold power and home button until it reboots.
    Error when using Sauriks server for a restore with iOS 5.x in the recovery mode at least on a A5 device.
    This error can also happen when you try to restore an iPod with hardware dfu. Use iREB r5 to solve this.
    You are trying to update to a beta firmware without UDID activation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry about that. I've been trying to get my home button to cooperate with me, but it won't :/ Can't get my phone into DFU mode. It is stuck on the connect to iTunes screen.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

You can make a DFU IPSW for your iPhone via Redsn0w (This is in version 0.9.14b2) so just download that from the Dev-Team Blog and then go to the Extras tab > Event More > DFU IPSW and then proceed with making the IPSW.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.