+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't restore to factory settings with JB iPhone 4s - I'm I doing it incorrectly?

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Hello all, I'm having problems trying to un-JB my phone and restore to factory settings. I saved a backup of my phone (after a factory reset through my phones internal
    Thanks

Default Solved: Error 21 when trying to restore JB 4s to factory setting
    Hello all,

I'm having problems trying to un-JB my phone and restore to factory settings.

I saved a backup of my phone (after a factory reset through my phones internal options) as well as my blobs using TinyUmbrella to my computer prior to JBing. I JB'd my phone using Absinthe.

The first time I tried to reset my phone, I did it via the internal option on my iPhone. As it was starting the process I suddenly realize that I had no idea what I was doing and thought this process could mess something up so I panicked and did a soft reset. My phone restarted and everything seemed to be working fine.

I then went online to see how I should factory reset using iTunes. I came across various instructions and the consensus seemed to be the method I used below.

At time of restore the only program I have running is iTunes.
    These are the steps I did to attempt restore:
    1. Connect iPhone to computer
    2. Turn iPhone off
    3. Start iTunes
    4. Turn on phone in DFU mode
    5. Hit ok on iTunes "phone detected in recovery mode"
    6. Click "restore" on iTunes

At this point, iTunes downloads a file from its server. Once this is done the iTunes restore progress bar starts to run at the end of which I get an "iTunes was unable to restore your phone. (error 21)" and my phone gets stuck at the connect to iTunes screen and is not recognized by anything.

I can get my iPhone to work again by running TinyUmbrella and clicking "start TSS server." However, when I do this, it is still JB'd - both cydia and activator are present and working on my device.

Can anyone advise me on whether I'm doing something incorrectly or missing a step? Or if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Best Regards,
    Swiss
    Last edited by SGA_SWISS; 02-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks

Fixed using method provided here: Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Please feel free to close or delete this thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, just have iPhone turned off and connected to the computer, and then hold the home screen button with iTunes open for 10 seconds. It will recognize it, and you can just hit restore iPhone 4 to factory setting.
    Last edited by martinrobin; 02-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I was told you had to do it through iTunes, by hitting "restore" NOT "restore backup"

-If you try it on a JB phone, THROUGH the phone, it will brick - Because I bricked my 4 that way - You are very lucky you cancelled it and were able to get back in. I was very lucky the iPhone store guy gave me a new iPhone. But thanx for the link, I saved it, please DON'T delete the thread, in case someone else with the same problem needs to get to that link.

Personally, I'm not going to Un-JB until there is some iOS 6 JB ready, I'm always fearful of waiting too long and missing the JB window. But I managed to get Absinthe on my 4S and I decided long ago, I'd rather be JB'd than to have the latest iOS. I just have to skirt around the apps that have a lower iOS limit now.