+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some tips for JB 5.0.1 untethered; making the switch--iPhone 4 only!

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Some tips for JB 5.0.1 untethered; making the switch--iPhone 4 only!
    I noticed a lot of people made the switch to 5.0.1 once the untethered JB was available; very proud of ya. However, like all software, there might be some bugs in this version of the JB. I've seen a lot of people asking about how "safe" it is to JB--total NOOB question, by the way--and I thought I'd post something to give back to the very site that helped me with all my JB questions. Please see below for some trouble-shooting tips when transitioning over to UTJB (untethered jailbreak). Please see below:

My process: iPhone 4/ used redsn0w to JB.
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
    2. Make sure you have the "correct" IPSW file; 5.0.1 restore (9A405) CDMA.
    Note: a lot, and I do mean a lot, of people download the GSM file when they have a Verizon model--epic noob fail.
    3. Download the appropriate redsn0w file for mac or windows (PC blows).
    4. When preparing to Jailbreak, always put your iPhone in DFU mode--I can't stress this enough.
    5. Finished, now pat yourself in the back.

5.0/5.0.1 hybrid transition:
    I had this before the UTJB was available and ran into some issues. Please see below for some tips that helped me with Cydia, battery, and other issues. Please do so one your own risk:

1. Use the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Back all your stuff up on your mac or PC
    3. Restore through iTunes while in DFU mode; restore to clean 5.0.1. (5.0.1 from apple or modmyi should work fine)
    4. do not back up from iTunes--you should have your stuff backed-up already on your mac and pc by now--, setup as a new phone.
    5. UTJB, and voila; your Cydia, battery, and all Cydia apps should be working appropriately.
    6. You might spend some time loading up your phone with contacts, apps, and all that junk, but doing this will have everything back to normal—well, at least it did for me.

People with 5.0.1 already—Not jailbroken.
    1. Slap yourself
    2. Download the appropriate redsn0w file
    3. Jailbreak.

Lastly, everything you need can be found in this awesome website. So, don’t post noob questions like “where can I find the redsn0w” file.Good luck and have fun!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vbuen323 For This Useful Post:

serpentine5 (12-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbuen323 View Post
    4. do not back up from iTunes--you should have your stuff backed-up already on your mac and pc by now--, setup as a new phone.
    5. UTJB, and voila; your Cydia, battery, and all Cydia apps should be working appropriately.
    6. You might spend some time loading up your phone with contacts, apps, and all that junk, but doing this will have everything back to normal—well, at least it did for me.
    Noob question i guess... but how do you back up to your PC? The only thing i can see in my phone when connected directly to my PC is my photos.... no apps or anything else.
    Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have a Jailbroken iPhone 4, jailbroken with Jailbreakme.com & I am trying to get it back to default where I can jailbreak with the new redsn0w untethered jailbreak. I have tried on iTunes and even with DFU mode get a error 21 message. I can't restore my phone and have asked around and can't get an answer. I would love to get this phone UnJailbroken, any help would be appreciated

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wayne, the best way to reset your phone is to hook to your comp, open itunes, allow itunes to find your phone, then click your phone in the list to the left. in the window it should say you need to update to 5.0.1. do it... when it updates your phone it will be back to factory settings.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serpentine5 View Post
    Noob question i guess... but how do you back up to your PC? The only thing i can see in my phone when connected directly to my PC is my photos.... no apps or anything else.
    Thanks
    Hey dude,

there are many ways to back up on a pc, and it's actually a headache finding out the many ways; I had to learn the hard way. After many years of dealing with crappy PCs, I figured how to mess up my phone many times purposely to figure out my dilemmas. iTunes let's you manage your media manually or automatically when a device is connected; these options are available to the user always. If you like to take control, I suggest to manually manage your stuff. If you just want to "plug and play" and let iTunes do all the work, then check the boxes that state "synchronize" or "sync" in the sections of music, apps, movies, books, and so forth in iTunes. iTunes only let's you choose one feature, that's manual or automatic, which, really sucks. These following steps worked for me and use at your own risk as always.

I had Vista premium OS/Windows

Follow these steps for backing up on a PC. This is lengthy process and it might drive you insane, but this is the best option I've used on my vista OS.
    1. connect your phone to iTunes
    2. Go to your [Device] section, make sure you enable "manually manage music and videos".
    3. While [Device] is highlighted, right click on your mouse or keypad to access the "tool bar" menu and you can transfer purchases on your iPhone to iTunes and other stuff.
    4. Under [summary], there is the [info tab].
    5. Under [info], make sure you sync your contacts, calendar, and all that other junk that you want to "back up". I used Microsoft's Outlook to save all my contacts. I also synced my gmail account to save the settings.

Some tips for JB 5.0.1 untethered; making the switch--iPhone 4 only!-screen-shot-2011-12-29-10.31.49-pm.png
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-29 at 10.31.49 PM.png
Views:	183
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	558984
    Some tips for JB 5.0.1 untethered; making the switch--iPhone 4 only!-screen-shot-2011-12-29-10.32.35-pm.png

Personally, my pics and contacts were the most important things to me, so I focused more on that than anything else. Other people might prioritize music, apps and so forth. How I manually managed my photos was going to start >computer> selecting the iPhone device> copying all the photos to a desktop folder created specifically for my iPhone pictures, no special folder. For some reason, I stopped syncing my previous photos with iTunes because all my attempted "restore from back up" after many updates always failed, so I became proactive and saved copies of my 2234 photos and 150+ contacts! I was extremely pissed when I lost the first 300 or so pics and called apple to rip them a new AZZHOLIO for their crappy OS updates and restores from backup always failing.

Lastly, I EXTREMELY recommend switching to a MAC bro, life will become 200X easier. Those $299 laptops at best buy turn into $2000 worth of headaches, repairs, virus removals, and motherboard burnouts.

Quote Originally Posted by serpentine5 View Post
    Thanks
    Also, when you transfer all those pics to a folder--you can label it whatever you want--you can setup a sync in iTunes to that specific folder. Thus, iTunes will only sync photos from that folder. I know my last post was a bit lengthy and became lost at some point, but you should ONLY be able to see photos and nothing else; windows identifies the iPhone as a "digital camera". To back up all your apps, music, and other stuff, use iTunes but "manually manage" your music. This allows you to use the "drag and drop" feature from iTunes to your Device when plugged in.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by waynegfx View Post
    I have a Jailbroken iPhone 4, jailbroken with Jailbreakme.com & I am trying to get it back to default where I can jailbreak with the new redsn0w untethered jailbreak. I have tried on iTunes and even with DFU mode get a error 21 message. I can't restore my phone and have asked around and can't get an answer. I would love to get this phone UnJailbroken, any help would be appreciated
    Wayne,

Anytime you are having issues with your phone, always restore in iTunes. The latest version of iPhone OS is 5.0.1, you need to update to this firmware and restore. After all that, and all goes well, you should have a functioning iPhone 4 running 5.0.1. Another way you can do a restore is:
    1. Download the 5.0.1 ISPW file (iPhone firmware) from Modmyi's firmware download database.
    2. Download the latest version of iTunes.
    3. Connect your phone and put in DFU mode.
    4. iTunes will "automatically" detect an iPhone in restore mode and will ask you to restore before using.
    5. While in this window, on mac press and hold "option" and select "restore" in iTunes/ Windows press and hold "alt" and "shift", I think. This will bring up a "browsing window" in which it gives you the liberty of searching for a specific file to load. Now, you can load this firmware you just downloaded and restore from there. iTunes might be giving you this error message because you do not have the latest version downloaded for iPhone OS or iTunes. Always make sure you are up to date with iTunes before any updates on the iPhone.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by vbuen323; 12-30-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I am on MacBook pro, it gives me errors on iTunes trying to restore. Error #22

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waynegfx View Post
    I am on MacBook pro, it gives me errors on iTunes trying to restore. Error #22
    Update to the latest version of iTunes, download 5.0.1 CDMA file, not GSM, and restore on iTunes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hello, i have verizon iphone 4 version 9a405.i downloaded redsnow 0.9.10b3 for mac. i put phone into dfu mode and click jailbreak on redsnow. it starts the process process but when it gets to the part that says "please wait while your build is being identified" the phone turns back on. redsnow stays on that until i click cancel which has been about 10 minutes or so. i've done this 3 times already. am i doing something wrong? i don't think it is suppose to turn on before the phone starts scrolling with all kinds of text. i did jailbreak with jailbreakme back on version 4.2.6 if that helps. anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated. the phone works perfectly other than the jailbreak.

or maybe it was greenpoison not jailbreakme. thanks
    Last edited by zxszxs; 01-01-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afallenhope View Post
    redsn0w is a jailbreaking tool. Please refer to the "jail breaking assistant" on the modmyi home page.

Quote Originally Posted by zxszxs View Post
    hello, i have verizon iphone 4 version 9a405.i downloaded redsnow 0.9.10b3 for mac. i put phone into dfu mode and click jailbreak on redsnow. it starts the process process but when it gets to the part that says "please wait while your build is being identified" the phone turns back on. redsnow stays on that until i click cancel which has been about 10 minutes or so. i've done this 3 times already. am i doing something wrong? i don't think it is suppose to turn on before the phone starts scrolling with all kinds of text. i did jailbreak with jailbreakme back on version 4.2.6 if that helps. anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated. the phone works perfectly other than the jailbreak.

or maybe it was greenpoison not jailbreakme. thanks
    your best option is to restore to a clean copy of 5.0.1 through iTunes and then repeat jailbreak with the current version of redsn0w. When you put your phone in DFU mode, don't release the home button until it has been exploited with limerain and your build has been identified. Anytime a new version of a jailbreak is out, you have to repeat this process to get a clean transition. I always prefer to restore, setup as "new phone" and then jailbreak and back up my phone. This process works best for me.
    Last edited by vbuen323; 01-03-2012 at 08:05 AM.