+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question regarding Jailbreaking IP4

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
When I got my iphone 4 w/ verizon last weekend the sales guy told me that verizon can track the jail break. I am just curious as to whether or
    Thanks

Default question regarding Jailbreaking IP4
    When I got my iphone 4 w/ verizon last weekend the sales guy told me that verizon can track the jail break. I am just curious as to whether or not this is true and if not, will I be able to jailbreak my ios5 running iphone 4? I had an old 3g iphone on t-mobile that I hacked the beejuses out of and am a little paranoid of doing anything with this one since he said something about it. Maybe it was just to scare me but I'm re-learning everything iphone after about 2 years of android...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but this is false as far as them knowing if your jailbroken or not. However he probably meant theyll know if you tether or not without a tether plan. I know apps from the app store can detect it and take some preventative action, but as far as your carrier goes not likely. Even if they did they can't do anything about it as it's completely legal.

Thanks

Interesting. Now the question is has there been a windows jailbreak released for ios5? Who are some ppl to follow on twitter that are apple devs?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes there is a iOS 5 jailbreak release for windows, it is tethered though. Meaning you'll have to plug your phone into your computer and rerun the tool every time your phone restarts.

As far as your verizon problem? Sure, if you send it into them while it was jailbroken they can tell. If you don't want them to know, restore before you send it in for warranty or whatever. And even if they do know, why does it matter? Jailbreaking is completely legal (as ruled the copyright office some time last year) and the only thing they can do is restore it to factory settings before working on it.

The above poster is correct though, they can track tethering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zamphire View Post
    Yes there is a iOS 5 jailbreak release for windows, it is tethered though. Meaning you'll have to plug your phone into your computer and rerun the tool every time your phone restarts.

As far as your verizon problem? Sure, if you send it into them while it was jailbroken they can tell. If you don't want them to know, restore before you send it in for warranty or whatever. And even if they do know, why does it matter? Jailbreaking is completely legal (as ruled the copyright office some time last year) and the only thing they can do is restore it to factory settings before working on it.

The above poster is correct though, they can track tethering.
    Thanks. Is there a talk of a non tethered option coming for windows? I'm not always around my laptop with my phone so that could be a deal breaker. Is the software one click these days or what all are the step? Wasn't really planning on tethering with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

They can't track the jailbreak and I know if you use the tether me app from cydia they can't track tethering either. Since your phone doesn't have the 'tethering feature' from Verizon the phone will not collect data on it. I have tethered off my iPhones for at least 2 years. On the usage stats it shows 0 data tethered
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There are ways for carriers to spot your device being jailbroken. Whether they make the effort to do it or not is the question. Likely not, it's not easy AFAIK.

Carriers know if you tether. AT&T knows. Initially the assumption was that they largely based it on how much data was used, turns out those who don't use much data but do tether a bit still get caught. It's not safe to assume they don't know.

Edit: for Verizon, that's unclear I tether with VZW, haven't had an issue (yet...).

Thanks

for any newbies out there:

Verizon tracks Internet Tethering, which means sharing your Phone's internet access with a laptop or something else. This kind of tethering is great but Verizon / AT&T / etc want to put a stop to it so they can make you pay more for less service.

Jailbreak Tethering has nothing to do with that, and Verizon has no way to know (or care).
    But this kind of tethering is lame, Dev-team and C-dev are trying to put a stop to it so your phone can be Free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent929 View Post
    They can't track the jailbreak and I know if you use the tether me app from cydia they can't track tethering either. Since your phone doesn't have the 'tethering feature' from Verizon the phone will not collect data on it. I have tethered off my iPhones for at least 2 years. On the usage stats it shows 0 data tethered
    There are several Tether me apps on cydia, could you specify the one recommended . Thanks
    Just another duck on the pond

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There is only one tetherme app. If you're referring to other tethering apps, this includes MyWi and PDAnet as well.

Many people like MyWi, PDAnet supposedly hides tethering from carriers so people use that, and tetherme is built-in to natively in the settings app unlike the other two which are separate apps.

I use tetherme. It's easy and convenient for me. But all are equally good in their own ways; they all do the same thing though.

Banned
    Thanks

Since your phone doesn't have the 'tethering feature' from Verizon the phone will not collect data on it.