+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: to update or not...that is the question.

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
hello everyone, I am a new iPhone user (just got my iphone 4 for valentine's day) and I have loved every second with it! I have been contemplating jailbreaking for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default to update or not...that is the question.
    hello everyone,

I am a new iPhone user (just got my iphone 4 for valentine's day) and I have loved every second with it!
    I have been contemplating jailbreaking for some time now and I think I'm ready to do it... I just have some basic questions.

I am currently using software version 4.2.10. Is there an untethered jailbreak to this? I am still not very familiar with the tethering vs. untethering situation, but from what I can understand - untethered is preferable when it is available.

Also, if there is no untethered jb to 4.2.10, would it be best to wait for iOS 5 to be released and jailbroken?, or would it be best to downgrade back to a outdated software? How long does it usually take for a jb to be released?

I'm sorry if these questions have all been answered before!

Thanks in advance,
    Meghann

P.S. I have some experience jailbreaking - I jailbroke my iPod touch a few years ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djmoo View Post
    hello everyone,

I am a new iPhone user (just got my iphone 4 for valentine's day) and I have loved every second with it!
    I have been contemplating jailbreaking for some time now and I think I'm ready to do it... I just have some basic questions.

I am currently using software version 4.2.10. Is there an untethered jailbreak to this? I am still not very familiar with the tethering vs. untethering situation, but from what I can understand - untethered is preferable when it is available.
    Nope.
    There's no untethered JB for 4.2.10 yet.
    There might be one after 5.0 is out, but it's possible there won't ever be one.

Also, if there is no untethered jb to 4.2.10, would it be best to wait for iOS 5 to be released and jailbroken?, or would it be best to downgrade back to a outdated software?
    It would be nice if you could downgrade to an earlier firmware, but Apple made it so you CAN'T. There's a workaround if you use tools to save signed SHSH blobs while Apple still signs them, but for you today its impossible to go back to an earlier firmware.

Waiting for 5.0, and then waiting for a jailbreak for it sometime later is probably your best bet.

How long does it usually take for a jb to be released?
    We don't know.
    It could be days, weeks, or months after 5.0 drops.

There's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game with Apple and the JB dev team. The Dev Team wants to wait until the last possible moment to release a new Jailbreak solution, so it can have the most effective use before Apple blocks that one.

I'm sorry if these questions have all been answered before!

Thanks in advance,
    Meghann

P.S. I have some experience jailbreaking - I jailbroke my iPod touch a few years ago
    Welcome back!

All these questions have been asked before,
    but every time someone else asks its a brand new question again.

One suggestion:
    grab the Tiny Umbrella now, run it and save your SHSHs!!!.
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Run it again, with your iPhone connected every now and then, to get as many SHSHs as you can. TU doesn't actually jailbreak, but it may help you to downgrade later, by using saved blobs. Some future firmware versions will have jailbreaks, and some will not.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-06-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Jailbreakme.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

I don't believe jailbreakme works with that version. It's made for 4.2.8.