+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone IOS downgrade to jailbreak

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
My wife's cdma (Verizon) iPhone: Purchased in April. She restored her iTouch backup to it, causing her Facetime to no longer work. According to the Apple forums, this very issue
    Thanks

Default iPhone IOS downgrade to jailbreak
    My wife's cdma (Verizon) iPhone:
    Purchased in April. She restored her iTouch backup to it, causing her Facetime to no longer work. According to the Apple forums, this very issue was supposed to be solved in the 4.2.8 update, but was not for her. She then updated to 4.2.9 in hopes THAT IOS would solve the issue. It did not. SO, she wants to go back to 4.2.8 untethered jailbreak and use another jailbroken method to fix this. This phone has never been jailbroken.

My question is, how do I (since I will have to do this), jailbreak her 4.2.9 IOS iPhone? Seems to me I have to go back to 4.2.8 to keep the untethered jailbreak. Is this possible? I do not see as of yet an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.9 or 4.2.10

I have jailbroken my son's iPhone and several iTouches, so I have some expereince in this, but I do not know what to do in this situation.

Please advise!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You need to revert back to 4.2.8 if you want an untethered jb. For that, SHSHs are required. So you need to check for 4.2.8 SHSHs with TinyUmbrella. If you find that you don't have 4.2.8 SHSHs for her device, you cannot downgrade the iPhone. You may only have a tethered jb on 4.2.9.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You need to revert back to 4.2.8 if you want an untethered jb. For that, SHSHs are required. So you need to check for 4.2.8 SHSHs with TinyUmbrella. If you find that you don't have 4.2.8 SHSHs for her device, you cannot downgrade the iPhone. You may only have a tethered jb on 4.2.9.
    Thanks for the response. As it is, she has decided to wait for IOS 5. Apparently HER facetime account got synced to MY itouch and even though now that I have logged out and put my own facetime account in, she still has no facetime access.

Thanks for the response though! I am hoping an untethered IOS 5 will solve the problem (when available).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

iPhone uses phone number for FaceTime and Itouch uses email , you can't messed it up by sycing. Make sure the FaceTime is switch on and a reboot, sync should bring it back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    iPhone uses phone number for FaceTime and Itouch uses email , you can't messed it up by sycing. Make sure the FaceTime is switch on and a reboot, sync should bring it back.
    That goes against what the folks at Apple support told me. They actually go so far to say that our situation WILL occur when you restore an iTouch onto an iPhone. Then again, they also told me it would be fixed automatically by updating from 4.2.7 to 4.2.8, and yet it is not. We can not switch Facetime on and reboot. It will not let us. I have gone thru this with my son and bro in law, who both thought we were crazy that it would not switch on. The option is there but we can not switch it on. I contact Apple and they say go to 4.2.8. This does nothing. So... we go to 4.2.9 hoping that since I logged out of HER account on my iTouch, she would be able to sync, but nope... and now with no jailbreak for 4.2.9 we are stuck waiting for 5.

Thanks

Sorry , I missed the part about restoring a backup from Itouch to iPhone, then it is possible cause of FaceTime not working. if you have 4.2.8 blob, you can restore to custom firmware 4.2.8 again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Sorry , I missed the part about restoring a backup from Itouch to iPhone, then it is possible cause of FaceTime not working. if you have 4.2.8 blob, you can restore to custom firmware 4.2.8 again
    I had her upgrade to 4.2.10 with no luck so she did a factory reset and now Facetime works!
    She lost her Angry Birds progress, but she had stopped playing that, otherwise she was able to get the phone back to where it was.

I wish I had known about the blobs before I upgraded to 4.2.9. Live and learn I guess!

Thanks

Live and learn, that is the way to go in life

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks