+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Comletely unstable VZW JBme iPhone

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
I preface by saying that I don't own an iphone.. My only JB'ing experience has been with my ipad2, which was extremely simple and bug-free. My brother got his first
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Comletely unstable VZW JBme iPhone
    I preface by saying that I don't own an iphone.. My only JB'ing experience has been with my ipad2, which was extremely simple and bug-free.

My brother got his first iphone the day that JBme3.0 came out. He bought the phone, came home, jailbroke it, and was ecstatic.

Ever since, phone has been extremely unstable and he is constantly needing to reboot it. it locks up, it hangs, it will not let him make outbound phone calls at times, he is missing calls, trouble sending SMS's, etc. It's a PITA and essentially unusable.

What can he do to remedy? Will he be forced to restore? Will he be able to re-jailbreak if he didn't use tinyumbrella/ifaith? He did not save any SHSH's, and is prepared to restore and rejailbreak, but just not sure how/where/what to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Go figure I always try to tell people jailbreakme can be really buggy on an iPhone but they never believe me (not directed at you or anyone specific, just the general unbelievers).

Anyhow, does he have SHSHs saved? That's absolutely necessary so that a restore can happen and a new jb can be applied (preferably use Redsn0w, that's quite a reliable tool I'd say).

Edit: double check for SHSHs, you can never be too sure!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Go figure I always try to tell people jailbreakme can be really buggy on an iPhone but they never believe me (not directed at you or anyone specific, just the general unbelievers).

Anyhow, does he have SHSHs saved? That's absolutely necessary so that a restore can happen and a new jb can be applied (preferably use Redsn0w, that's quite a reliable tool I'd say).

Edit: double check for SHSHs, you can never be too sure!
    I seriously doubt it. He bought his phone, went home, sync'd it, ran jailbreakme, and started downloading stuff through cydia. I seriously doubt he ever did a SHSH backup.

Assuming he didn't, what should his steps be to fix this? Restore to current fw and pray for a new jailbreak?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well seeing as how he was able to get into Cydia, there's a chance he tapped on the Make My Life Easier button which saves SHSHs. I mean I feel like it was too late anyway to save the appropriate SHSHs necessary anyway but it's good to check to be sure before proceeding with anything else.

If no SHSHs for 4.2.8 are available there's nothing much to do. He can stay where he is now and deal with it, or upgrade to 4.2.10 and go stock w/o a jb for a while. Bc I doubt he'd want a tethered jb, the jb on 4.2.10 isn't exactly stable either.

Actually, is he on 4.2.8 right now and the phone is functional? Try iFaith out. It works for most people but some haven't had success.

Get iFaith from ih8sn0w.com, choose to "dump SHSHs" and then create a signed custom fw after with iFaith.

Then open iTunes and do a shift+restore to that signed fw for 4.2.8. It should restore his phone to normal and then he can jb with something else.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-09-2011 at 08:57 AM.