+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is jailbreaking the Verizon iPhone so much harder than JBing the GSM???

is a discussion within the

Jailbreaking the Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
I have jailbroken 3 different ATT/GSM iPhones over the years, multiple times using Blackra1n, jailbreakme.com, limera1n, and Redsn0w and have had no problems whatsoever. A friend asked me to jailbreak
    Thanks

Default Why is jailbreaking the Verizon iPhone so much harder than JBing the GSM???
    I have jailbroken 3 different ATT/GSM iPhones over the years, multiple times using Blackra1n, jailbreakme.com, limera1n, and Redsn0w and have had no problems whatsoever. A friend asked me to jailbreak his Verizon iPhone and I started reading this forum for info and am just not sure if I want to try it or not since it isn't my phone.

Why are so many people having problems with the Verizon iPhone? Is it the CDMA iPhone or are the CDMA jailbreak tools not as polished as the tools for the GSM? I really don't want to spend a lot of time futzing around with someone else's iPhone and end up having to restore it or worse.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreaking Verizon iPhone
    I have a Verizon iPhone running 4.2.8. I have tried unsuccessfully a dozen times over the past 3 days to jailbreak my phone using all available options to do it. I haven't had any luck yet. I have been jailbreaking since iPhone 3 running 1.1.3. I have never had any problems before until now. Most of the time I get a "server connection" error. My phone was jailbroken previously on 4.2.6 and 4.2.7 with no issues. I updated to 4.2.8 because I read a blog that people successfully jailbroke their VERIZON iPhones on 4.2.8. Apparently I read it wrong, they blogged wrong or I'm missing one key ingredient. I feel so lost without a jailbroken phone. I have purchased several apps via Cydia over the past couple weeks and had it set up perfectly. This REALLY sucks. I think I'm gonna try to use sn0wbreeze on a PC at work to see if I still get the connection error. I would appreciate and suggestions and help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default There's no difference between the two jb'n wise
    Theres no difference between the two when it comes down to jailbrake'n your device..

1... Make sure u have the sh saved locally and tiny umbrella is runnin properly..

2... Create a custom ipsw via windows via sn0wbreeze

3... Make sure your device is properly put in dfu

4... If you're gettin a connection error its one of two things.. A.. Check to see if they bs'ing.. Check you internet browser n see.. Or b, ur device isnt properly in dfu and apple is &@$!'in wit you...

With tiny runnin, host file edited.. Sh saved locally, custom package built in windows, restore on a mac.. I have done i would say 10 vzw's on 4.2.8 and im not havin any issues..

P.s. I will say this in response to the main topic, its not the phone or the firmware thats givin you the Problem.. Apple is.. They're makin it harder, pretty soon your average joe from your neighborhood aint gunna be able to jailbrake your device.. You'll have to bring it to the pro's... ... [email protected]
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 05-26-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxridgewood View Post
    Theres no difference between the two when it comes down to jailbrake'n your device..

1... Make sure u have the sh saved locally and tiny umbrella is runnin properly..

2... Create a custom ipsw via windows via sn0wbreeze

3... Make sure your device is properly put in dfu

4... If you're gettin a connection error its one of two things.. A.. Check to see if they bs'ing.. Check you internet browser n see.. Or b, ur device isnt properly in dfu and apple is &@$!'in wit you...

With tiny runnin, host file edited.. Sh saved locally, custom package built in windows, restore on a mac.. I have done i would say 10 vzw's on 4.2.8 and im not havin any issues..

P.s. I will say this in response to the main topic, its not the phone or the firmware thats givin you the Problem.. Apple is.. They're makin it harder, pretty soon your average joe from your neighborhood aint gunna be able to jailbrake your device.. You'll have to bring it to the pro's... 3134442023... Max
    You just confirmed my point. I have always saved my SHSH on all my GSM iPhones just in case I wanted to downgrade an iOS, but that wasn't needed to jailbreak. Why is that needed for the VZ iPhone? I haven't been trying to unlock my GSM/ATT iPhones so never bothered with custom ipsw's.

As for getting into DFU properly, I have read several threads saying that people should use redsn0w to get into DFU if it doesn't work properly with sn0wbreeze. Why doesn't it work properly with sn0wbreeze?

Don't get me wrong, I know that some people have had problems JBing GSM phones too, but nowhere near the problems that happen with the VZ iPhone, and it's even worse considering how many millions more GSM iPhones there are compared to the VZ model.

Green Apple
    Thanks

U dont need to put the pho e in dfu when workin with snowbreeze...
    Use snowbreeze ONLY to build the custOm firmware..
    And the reason you need the sh'es now is because of apple.. Its not the device..
    Its apples restore policy that has changed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxridgewood View Post
    U dont need to put the pho e in dfu when workin with snowbreeze...
    Use snowbreeze ONLY to build the custOm firmware..
    And the reason you need the sh'es now is because of apple.. Its not the device..
    Its apples restore policy that has changed
    And just how do you get the custom ipsw into the iPhone w/o putting the iPhone into DFU? The instructions in sn0wbreeze tell you to put it in DFU then load itunes and restore to custom ipsw. Maybe I'm missing something but my understanding is that saved SHSH's aren't needed to jailbreak using a current firmware.

Green Apple
    Thanks

U Still HAVE tO put the device in dfu.. But
    Only prior to the itunes restore.. I never said u dont need dfu... U just dont Dfu when workin in snowbreeze.. Sorry for the confusion..

Green Apple
    Thanks

F.y.i. I have a iphone 4 cdma with a good esn and its flashed to metro pcs already or i can flash it to page plus if u want...
    [...]
    Last edited by Orby; 01-11-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: removed personally identifying information

Thanks

But You have to use PWNED DFU when using Sn0wbreeze....................Any other way..........Is the wrong way.....Plain and simple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZĄG View Post
    But You have to use PWNED DFU when using Sn0wbreeze....................Any other way..........Is the wrong way.....Plain and simple.
    No. Pwnded DFU is for a custom ispw. People are having problems because they can't follow simple directions. I've been jailbroken since Verizon released the iPhone..

Z!G
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrusk View Post
    No. Pwnded DFU is for a custom ispw. People are having problems because they can't follow simple directions. I've been jailbroken since Verizon released the iPhone..
    Yah man I totally know that. Meant to say "Sn0wbreeze ipsw" not just sn0wbreeze. That is what I was saying.

What you just said. You misunderstood my poorly written statement. My bad. And I've been jailbreaking a year before the Verizon iPhone launched. I know just as much as you do, no doubt about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually, I think its easier, I was helping my cousin JB his girlfriends AT&T iPhone 4 over the phone and we had such a hard time getting it going, I jailbroke my VZW iPhone 4 in 3 minutes. Just use Snowbreeze follow the instructions to the letter and you won't have a problem most of the time(sidenote sometimes you have to try to DFU more than once). I also believe that if you do it right Jailbreaking is easy in general(most of the time). If you have problems 1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes 2. Don't use a custom IPSW. 3. If all else fails start over.
    Last edited by tntgo; 01-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough

Thanks

Custom ipsw are the sh**. Awesome. I have a more stable jailbreak when I restore to an iFaith signed ipsw then when I restore to a stock ipsw. Have done a lot of experimenting with this.

If you build an iFaith ipsw with blobs for 5.0.1, and make an ipsw Out of them.......restoring to hat will yield "THE" most stable jailbreak that can be achieved in iOS 5. I guarantee you that.