Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 CDMA Bad ESN Options

Default Iphone 4 CDMA Bad ESN Options
    I know there a thousand threads like this, but none I have read specifically answer my questions. I bought an iphone 4 on craigslist with a bad ESN.

1. Is cleaning an ESN really this simple? They just swap the esn with an old verizon phones esn. Is this possible? I doubt it.
    How to Change an ESN on Verizon | eHow.com

2. Can I use the geyver method? Or is that just to unlock the sim tray on the 4s?

3. Are there any good downloadable flashing tools that I can use at home?

4. Are sprint and verizon an option or is the phone limited to places like metropcs.

Thanks.

it doesnt say they clean the esn its says if you bring in a different phone they will replace the old esn with the new esn for the other phone its just a phone swap not esn cleaning. dirty esn are either lost, stolen, or the bill wasnt paid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by algar32 View Post
    I know there a thousand threads like this, but none I have read specifically answer my questions. I bought an iphone 4 on craigslist with a bad ESN.

1. Is cleaning an ESN really this simple? They just swap the esn with an old verizon phones esn. Is this possible? I doubt it.
    How to Change an ESN on Verizon | eHow.com

2. Can I use the geyver method? Or is that just to unlock the sim tray on the 4s?

3. Are there any good downloadable flashing tools that I can use at home?

4. Are sprint and verizon an option or is the phone limited to places like metropcs.

Thanks.
    1) It is illegal under United States federal law to alter any device's MEID number (18 USC 1029).

2) That method is indeed only for GSM networks (e.g., it only unlocks the SIM tray).

3) See 1.

4) While the phone could technically be used on any CDMA network, I haven't found any CDMA network in the USA will accept an iPhone not purchased from them with an MEID they have record of.

you can flash phones for different networks but if you have a diry esn on a network they will not activate it for you for that specific carrier this is why you need it flashed to another company

Quote Originally Posted by Nyyankees View Post
    it doesnt say they clean the esn its says if you bring in a different phone they will replace the old esn with the new esn for the other phone its just a phone swap not esn cleaning. dirty esn are either lost, stolen, or the bill wasnt paid
    Yes I realize this. This phone was likely stolen. I bought for dirt cheap on Craigslist and forgot to check the esn. I called verizon and they told me it was on the lost/stolen list. I asked if there was anyway to contact the original owner and they said no (can't give out personal info ). So I could sell it out of the country, but that's more of a hassle. If I could find a metro user that would want it they could use it in the states.

Sprint doesnt flash phones from other carriers, so that is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    1) It is illegal under United States federal law to alter any device's MEID number (18 USC 1029).

2) That method is indeed only for GSM networks (e.g., it only unlocks the SIM tray).

3) See 1.

4) While the phone could technically be used on any CDMA network, I haven't found any CDMA network in the USA will accept an iPhone not purchased from them with an MEID they have record of.
    MetroPCs does. I think some of the smaller carriers do as well, I just can't think of the cdma ones off the top of my head.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what I'm going to do...
    Last edited by algar32; 01-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.

you can probably find someone other than a cell company to flash it for you theres people who do it just need to find the right one gl

Quote Originally Posted by Nyyankees View Post
    you can probably find someone other than a cell company to flash it for you theres people who do it just need to find the right one gl
    Thanks, but if people who don't work at a cell phone company can flash it, why couldn't I? I doubt there is any extra hardware involved. It would have to be flashing software, but the problem would be getting into that networks system. How would some random person be able to do this? I don't see how it's likely. Thanks again.