Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about downgrading!

Lightbulb Question about downgrading!
    i was thinking about restoring my iPhone to 5.0.1 and I know that cydia does backup SHSH blobs! I also know that Apple has stopped signing 5.0.1. So the question is can I restore and downgrade to 5.0.1? I've never downgraded before

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

If I'm correct it is possible, But I reccomend you don't. Downgrading is a very risky and potentially harmful process for the iPhone. It's just not reccomended. Are you currently on 5.1?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Check your other thread. I answered this question there. Btw, get TinyUmbrella and report back with if you have SHSHs for 5.0.1. If not, refer to my response in your previous thread and use that method there.

Edit: technically you're not downgrading, you're just restoring.

How is downgrading very risky and potentially harmful process?

Thanks

To be honest, I have no clue. I've never downgraded myself but I've heard that it can brick your device. If you're on 5.1 BigBoss already has a warning out that once you update to 5.1, You won't be able to downgrade yet.

thanks for letting me know =). I will just stay on 5.0.1

Thanks

No problem.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    To be honest, I have no clue. I've never downgraded myself but I've heard that it can brick your device. If you're on 5.1 BigBoss already has a warning out that once you update to 5.1, You won't be able to downgrade yet.
    When one downgrades, it does not do anything to the phone except restore it to factoring settings on another firmware. The firmware is clean from apple, but when apple stops signing those firmwares, iTunes will not restore to a previous firmware. That is why people receive error codes all the time when trying to restore to an older firmware. I actually restored my phone yesterday to a clean version of 5.0.1 and apple has stopped signing the firmware since 5.1 was released. My phone is actually functioning more efficient than previously. BigBoss does not recommend downgrade because the phone will become brick again, meaning one will not be able to unlock. because of the baseband, not the firmware. If one does not regard locking as an issue, like me--could care less about unlocking--, then downgrade to any firmware. The tricky part comes when one has to retrieve saved SHSH's blobs. This can be accomplished by using TinyUmbrella or redsn0w. As long as Cydia or you have saved your blobs, you can restore to any firmware of your choice.

Thanks

Like I said, I've never downgraded myself as I prefer not to take risks like that. It can be hazardous for the device. Any iDevice expert will tell you that. It's very well possible to downgrade (If Apple is still signing it) but it can be risky and you should know what you're doing before you downgrade.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Like I said, I've never downgraded myself as I prefer not to take risks like that. It can be hazardous for the device. Any iDevice expert will tell you that. It's very well possible to downgrade (If Apple is still signing it) but it can be risky and you should know what you're doing before you downgrade.
    Hazardous? How is it hazardous to the phone? Furthermore, you said an "iDevice expert" can tell me what? That restoring my iPhone to an older firmware is hazardous to my iPhone sounds no where near an expert at all. You also mentioned that it can brick your phone when you are not sure that it does, so what's the advice? There is absolutely nothing (no hazards, damages, etc.) that one can do when restoring to an old firmware as I previously mentioned in my original post. If one does not know what they are doing, they can learn from many resources or own their own through trial and error, like I did. If one has never downgraded or has never been jailbroken before, it is 99% impossible to downgrade because there are no saved SHSHs, meaning "no signed firmwares". Apple stopped signing 5.0.1 FW when 5.1 was released, I restored to 5.0.1 a couple of days ago quite fine and my phone is functioning more efficiently than before. So, where is the hazard or "risk"?

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyGuyJohn View Post
    i was thinking about restoring my iPhone to 5.0.1 and I know that cydia does backup SHSH blobs! I also know that Apple has stopped signing 5.0.1. So the question is can I restore and downgrade to 5.0.1? I've never downgraded before
    Did you jailbreak on 5.0.1 and saved SHSH blobs through Cydia? if you did, you are in luck, if not, you are S**T out of luck and stuck with 5.1.
    Last edited by vbuen323; 03-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbuen323 View Post
    Hazardous? How is it hazardous to the phone? Furthermore, you said an "iDevice expert" can tell me what? That restoring my iPhone to an older firmware is hazardous to my iPhone sounds no where near an expert at all. You also mentioned that it can brick your phone when you are not sure that it does, so what's the advice? There is absolutely nothing (no hazards, damages, etc.) that one can do when restoring to an old firmware as I previously mentioned in my original post. If one does not know what they are doing, they can learn from many resources or own their own through trial and error, like I did. If one has never downgraded or has never been jailbroken before, it is 99% impossible to downgrade because there are no saved SHSHs, meaning "no signed firmwares". Apple stopped signing 5.0.1 FW when 5.1 was released, I restored to 5.0.1 a couple of days ago quite fine and my phone is functioning more efficiently than before. So, where is the hazard or "risk"?
    First of all I never said it was gonna happen, I myself have never downgraded since I'm smart enough to not upgrade until a stable jailbreak is out (If you get what I'm saying here...) I know a friend who bricked his iPhone while downgrading and had to really screw around with it to get it working again. I never said it will happen, There's a slight risk you can brick it or harm it but the chances of it happening are very small if you know what you're doing. Don't be a jerk like what you're doing now. Swearing is not tolerated on here and nobody is here to listen to you be a jerk all day long. I was offering simple advice to him and I've heard a jailbreak for 5.1 is in the making. It's not the best thing to do if you don't know what you're doing. There's millions of articles on the internet about how to downgrade.

Green Apple
    Thanks

First of all I never said it was gonna happen, I myself have never downgraded since I'm smart enough to not upgrade until a stable jailbreak is out (If you get what I'm saying here...) I know a friend who bricked his iPhone while downgrading and had to really screw around with it to get it working again. I never said it will happen, There's a slight risk you can brick it or harm it but the chances of it happening are very small if you know what you're doing. Don't be a jerk like what you're doing now. Swearing is not tolerated on here and nobody is here to listen to you be a jerk all day long. I was offering simple advice to him and I've heard a jailbreak for 5.1 is in the making. It's not the best thing to do if you don't know what you're doing. There's millions of articles on the internet about how to downgrade.
    HAHAH, being a jerk? I'm not being a jerk, I'm being analytical--if you know the difference. I simply said that your "advice" is no advice at all--I think he's smart, like the rest of us, to wait for a untethered JB on 5.1 if he wanted to, but that's not the initial question. He asked about downgrading and is it safe, you said it wasn't safe but have no proof except for your friend "messing" with his phone and got it to work, which contradicts what you stated about "the phone being bricked". It is common sense to not mess with something one does not know, but science is about trial and error, and that's how we know the things we know today--trial and error. I'm not on here boasting about "consulting with iDevice experts" and all that junk, people are on here for a reason, to seek knowledge, not what we already know or should know. As a suggestion, don't give advice if YOU don't know what you're doing. On the contrary, I'm no expert, but I do know that "restoring" iPhone firmwares is not "hazardous" or "risky" as you stated. I downgraded my iPhone numerous times, it works completely fine, soooooo what's the issue? You can't claim things you know when you don't know or simply because someone else told you something that isn't necessarily accurate. Any "iDevice" expert can tell you that, right?<-----this is being a jerk

Thanks

Like I said before, That's just from what I've heard. I said I've never downgraded myself nor do I plan on downgrading unless it's absolutely needed. I was just offering simple advice to him, My only intention here was to help him out.

Lets clear this up. If u two want to argue, start a new thread and have at it. Downgrading is a gift from the jailbreak gods that has saved my butt many a time. I started with trial and error, and bricked my device several times. Only because i didnt follow directions. And the term brick is very misunderstood. All you need to do to get out of a brick is put the idevice in dfu mode and restore, not that big of a deal. Downgrading itself cannot and will not harm your device. Not following directions will harm your device. I use i faith to grab my shsh and apticket, and when im bored, i'll upgrade to 5.1 and downgrade back to 5.0.1 just to do it. You just need to be fearless and do a bit of trial and error. If you screw up, thats what the forums are for. Good luck and happy downgrading.
    (null)

Thanks

The only probably with downgrading or restoring with iOS 5.x is an extra layer of BS that you have to do: if you don't care about preserving your baseband its simple. Open redsn0w and use it to stitch together a restore bundle with the correct shsh, get into pwned DFU mode and restore in iTunes.

(Wont apply to the OP but might be useful to someone)
    If you want to preserve your baseband:
    - Make a custom bundle using PwnageTool, making sure the baseband is stripped
    - Stitch blobs to it using redsn0w
    - Pwned DFU mode
    - Restore in iTunes

Now if you have a 4S you are indeed, screwed for now
    Get the latest info for NoAccSplash Here
    Currently it should work on iOS 4.x - 6.x
    If you'd like to help extend its functionality, the source is also available.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Disagreements happen, that's ok, try to keep it in check. It's starting to get tense in here

Downgrading isn't a huge issue in most cases. Don't stress about it. I've done it numerous times, I've struggled in some cases and not in others. These things are not predictable.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

+1 downgrading is fine and with the right research can be pretty easy. I can't even count the number of phones I have downgraded. Not hazardous at all. Sure it can be tricky depending on the situation but it is virtually impossible to brick an iPhone these days.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expl0itfinder View Post
    Lets clear this up. If u two want to argue, start a new thread and have at it. Downgrading is a gift from the jailbreak gods that has saved my butt many a time. I started with trial and error, and bricked my device several times. Only because i didnt follow directions. And the term brick is very misunderstood. All you need to do to get out of a brick is put the idevice in dfu mode and restore, not that big of a deal. Downgrading itself cannot and will not harm your device. Not following directions will harm your device. I use i faith to grab my shsh and apticket, and when im bored, i'll upgrade to 5.1 and downgrade back to 5.0.1 just to do it. You just need to be fearless and do a bit of trial and error. If you screw up, thats what the forums are for. Good luck and happy downgrading.
    I'm just pointing out his/her misleading information, that's all. There are several ways to fetch SHSH's but iFaith is only for windows. I use OSX, and for that I used redsn0w and TU to stitch and downgrade.

Thanks

That was kind of my point in my original post, I just wasn't exactly specific enough to what I meant. If you don't know what you're doing and you follow directions nothing will go wrong (Unless something crazy happens ) If you don't follow directions it's very simple, You'll screw up in some way in some form that can lead to the harming of your device like @expl0itfinder said. And @Simon is correct, It's almost impossible to brick it but these days but if you really screw up on something (Not related to downgrading) you can brick it if you really wanted to @vbuen323 Sorry man, Not trying to start anything here... I just kinda meant what I said in like my first 2 sentences

That was kind of my point in my original post, I just wasn't exactly specific enough to what I meant. If you don't know what you're doing and you follow directions nothing will go wrong (Unless something crazy happens ) If you don't follow directions it's very simple, You'll screw up in some way in some form that can lead to the harming of your device like @expl0itfinder said. And @Simon is correct, It's almost impossible to brick it but these days but if you really screw up on something (Not related to downgrading) you can brick it if you really wanted to @vbuen323 Sorry man, Not trying to start anything here... I just kinda meant what I said in like my first 2 sentences
    Well said. Good that we are all on the same page now
    (null)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast